User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

any way to get Spotlight to reveal file's location?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
any way to get Spotlight to reveal file's location?
malcolm

2013-12-03, 20:10

Hi there,
I use Spotlight and like it, but the one thing that bothers me is that it doesn't seem to reveal the location of the files it lists.
I know I can command-click on any file listed and Spotlight will open the file in a new Finder window, thereby revealing not just the file but also it's whereabouts. But I often don't want to open a new Finder window, and lose the Spotlight window. If the file revealed is the wrong file, I have to reopen the Spotlight window—an unnecessary step in my opinion.
Am I missing something? Is there a way to get Spotlight to not just list files according to a certain name or keyword, but also to show the location of those files?
thanks,
Malcolm
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2013-12-03, 20:43

I don't think there is anyway for spotlight to do what you would like it to, unless there is a third party plug-in I don't know about. I cannot recall off hand, but in Finder preference I believe there is a setting called "display path" or something like that. When active the path is displayed at the bottom of the Finder window.

Edit: A quick Google search and I found the following: Press Option + Command while hovering over the item and the path will be displayed.
malcolm

2013-12-04, 10:10

Thanks so much PB PM. That works! I did a google search myself, but I'm clearly not as good a searcher as you are.
Regards, Malcolm
Chinney
Veteran Member

2013-12-04, 12:12

This aspect of Spotlight has always been an annoyance to me. Yes file location can be revealed, but Spotlight does not make it easy. I like Spotlight and use it frequently, but this aspect seems a bit sloppy and un-Apple.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.