Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Pauses and burps with Airport Express

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Pauses and burps with Airport Express
Wrao
Yarp

2006-12-05, 02:58

Since getting my Macbook I have noticed an increase in stalls, burps and pauses while streaming music to my living room stereo via Airport express. Nothing has changed on the router side, no new computers have been added, no extra bandwidth is being used up. Yet, AirTunes is performing worse than it used to.

The buffer setting is at High, I'm running all the latest updates of OS and iTunes. Does anyone have any clue of what's going on? maybe the APX just needs a reboot? maybe I can change something on the APX?

I should note that the Macbook receives *MUCH* better reception than my old Powerbook, but the Powebook could play AirTunes 99% of the time without any burping or pausing whatsoever.

The other issue that is happening is that, sometimes, when there is a burp, iTunes basically just stops all together, where it will say it is still playing but no sounds or activity are coming out of the program.

I must say, Apple did a good job with transferring their shit to intel, but it does seem as though there are still some kinks to work out. These random problems are pretty microsoftian :/
rob05au

Send a message via ICQ to rob05au Send a message via AIM to rob05au Send a message via Skype™ to rob05au 
2006-12-06, 00:40

Do you currently have the latest firmware for the AEX which is 6.3?
Wrao
Yarp

2006-12-07, 01:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob05au View Post
Do you currently have the latest firmware for the AEX which is 6.3?
Thanks for the suggestion. This had not occurred to me. I just updated the firmware to 6.3 and already there has been one burp. Time will tell if that was an aberration or the norm.

Edit: It is definitely still happening just as much as before.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-01-15, 23:32

This thread is relatively new so there's no need to start a new one. I have a new Airport Express that seems to have the same problems as Wrao's. It pauses about every two seconds for the first while then settles down but there are still pauses and burps occasionally. It also disappears once I stop streaming and leave it for a few minutes. So if I pause iTunes for a few minutes AirTunes is gone and I either have to go unplug it or try to get the Airport Admin Utility to recognize it and restart it. The entire experience with this thing has been very un-Appleish.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting this thing to not suck?

It's got the latest firmware and before this I've had no real problems with my wireless network.