Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

It's Raining Zero Day Exploits

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
It's Raining Zero Day Exploits
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-15, 06:22

According to this article on Ars, the number of zero day exploits is exploding, due in large part to "companies" selling them. It's one thing to have nations doing this as part of espionage programs, but now that it's an enterprise how are we safe?

By using mail. Please send your replies to this to the post office box I never check.

#battlestargalacticamuseumissafe

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-07-15, 07:35

The net is unsafe by definition, trusting companies is like trusting Pandora’s box. Any entity that has profit as its primary focus will always look for the easiest way to get profit. That means two things, build the cheapest systems (security) possible. Weak points? Yeah, people designed it, there will be one. Insiders helping these people break the few better systems? You can bet on it, there’s always someone pissed at the corporation.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-07-15, 09:00

The thing about zero-day exploits is that government and major institutions don't disclose them until they have already been caught using the exploit. Many have been in the wild for a long time just not disclosed or being kept close to the chest of the one to find it with the concept of later use.

The real concern is how will it effect you and will you have a backup if needed.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-11-01, 22:34

Uh oh. It's raining exploits again.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-01, 23:09

Oh now that's brilliant.

I remember TRYING to learn to write machine code for my Atari 800XL and it was insanely difficult, yet it's a way that "real" coders could apparently write in back in the 80s (I still have my machine code book somewhere).

It was so dang difficult that having a compiler made much more sense, but since nobody is vetting the machine code people have to trust that the compiler is mashing the peas correctly.

So if you can insert your own compiler you could insert all sorts of shit, right?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter