User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")
Page 20 of 33 First Previous 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24  Next Last Thread Tools
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-07-31, 21:55

Finally watched the first season of Ted Lasso last week and I loved it. Wholesome and a nice change from all the edgy dramas.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-01, 14:31

Ted Lasso is awesome. Unfortunately, AppleTV+ isn't worth $5/month, so I'll let season 2 load up, pay my $5, and binge-watch it.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-08-01, 16:13

Good idea. The episodes are short enough you could crank it out in a day or two.

We ended up with a year free trial of AppleTV+ -- can't remember why/how my wife got it. Overall, the platform is a little light on content, however I have enjoyed all the shows & documentaries I've watched thus far.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-01, 16:51

It's a much slower program, but if you enjoyed Ted Lasso I *highly* recommend The Detectorists.

tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-08-01, 19:59

What do you like about The Detectorists?

(haven’t seen it, am curious)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-01, 22:16

It stars his girlfriend, Scarlett Johansson.

Dr. Bobsky

2021-08-03, 07:22

I was shocked to see how little AppleTV+ has. It reads like a joke, and I will be cancelling after the free year I got ends...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-03, 11:28

Since it's going to be on Disney+, I opted to put it here (vs. movie or Star Wars threads):

This sounds both kinda interesting, and like shit on a biscuit.

Could go either way.

I guess we'll see, come October.

Quote:
Disney+ has announced this October it’s bringing some spooky stories to the galaxy far, far away with the all-new LEGO Star Wars Terrifying Tales special.

It will take place after The Rise of Skywalker, on one of the most sinister planets in all of Star Wars. For a night of telling ghost stories around the biggest campfire ever, at the former home of Darth Vader.

From Disney+: Poe and BB-8 must make an emergency landing on the volcanic planet Mustafar where they meet the greedy and conniving Graballa the Hutt who has purchased Darth Vader’s castle and is renovating it into the galaxy’s first all-inclusive Sith-inspired luxury hotel. While waiting for his X-Wing to be repaired, Poe, BB-8, Graballa, and Dean (a plucky and courageous young boy who works as Graballa’s mechanic) venture deep into the mysterious castle with Vader’s loyal servant, Vaneé. Along the way, Vaneé shares three creepy stories linked to ancient artifacts and iconic villains from across all eras of Star Wars.
I've got a bad feeling about this.

I do like how Mustafar looks, so I'll watch it just to see the lava, castle, etc. I thought that was one of the best parts of Rogue One, when Krennic went to see Vader on Mustafar (and got himself choked a bit ). Other than that meditation chamber in The Empire Strikes Back, this was the first real glimpse we got of how/where Vader spends his time when he's not Force-choking co-workers, pacing around Star Destroyers, etc. Big, scary Dracula castle* with creepy assistants/underlings.

*This was actually conceived/written and intended to be part of The Empire Strikes Back, according to that "making of" book I have. The drawings/designs from 1978-1979 are pretty much what appeared in Rogue One, so it was a 40-year-old idea, showing us where Vader "lives"/hangs out when he's off the clock.

PS - If you ever come across that initial draft/screenplay of The Empire Strikes Back written by Leigh Brackett, read it! It's out there on the Internet in places...I had a PDF version of it for years. Some stuff made it to the final movie (Han and Leia's squabbling/banter, their growing romance, etc.) and some stuff didn't (Vader's castle, etc.), but it's interesting to see what might've hit the theaters in 1980 before Lawrence Kasdan did his work.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-03 at 11:55.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-03, 13:01

If they keep to LEGO production standards it should be completely enjoyable while generally keeping with the franchise it is basing on. My family has loved all the LEGO cartoons out there so far. Really, they are enjoyable.

The scary part is the move to ensure the Sith are politically correct and inclusive. I mean...

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-03, 13:05

The LEGO stuff has been awesome. My daughter and I absolutely love the LEGO Nintendo games (Star Wars and Indiana Jones are hoots!). Little details like Chewbacca literally ripping the arms off Storm Troopers is worth every last dime we paid for those things.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-03, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
The scary part is the move to ensure the Sith are politically correct and inclusive. I mean...
I think that "all-inclusive" bit about the hotel is more about those "one price includes everything...meals, activities, etc.". Like a Sandals resort in space...you pay upfront and, once you arrive, everything is kinda covered? At least I think that's their usage of the word.

I think it's funny that a Hutt somehow purchased Vader's castle. So at some point the property wound up on SpaceZillow.com and there were offers from all around the galaxy, showings, etc.

"Enjoy the newly-remodeled eat-in kitchen, with a deck overlooking the lava river below. And the private master suite comes complete with two bacta tanks."

Some middle-aged woman in a business skirt/blazer and sprayed-to-hell hair gave walk-throughs and did the whole "realtor" thing. Think Annette Bening from American Beauty.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-08-03, 16:25

This is old, but I binged “The Spy” (2019) from Netflix on Monday.

Based on the true story of Eli Cohen. 6 episodes. Sacha Baron Cohen was superb.

It made me realise how Brian and Roger made the right call in swapping him out from Bohemian Rhapsody, as - despite his excellent performance - I kept reflecting on what a fantastic job he was doing, based on his history of portraying iconic characters such as Ali G and Borat.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Anonymous Coward

2021-08-04, 00:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
What do you like about The Detectorists?

(haven’t seen it, am curious)
Fun show. It has been a long time, so I don't remember details, but I'd watch it again and wish there were more seasons. Centered around an activity that probably isn't popular in the United States. If I remember correctly, written by one of the stars of the show (who played a pirate in Pirates of the Caribbean). No Scarlett Johansson, but Rachael Stirling and her mother, Diana Rigg, play a part.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-05, 09:31

Wait…did anyone watch season one?!

Not trying to be cute, but I saw/read/heard no talk of this show anywhere. Even here, the usual crowd who talks about The Mandalorian, and Star Wars in general, never uttered a peep about this show.

Is it more of a kid-oriented show? Or was it just not all that engaging?

Compared to the all-around coverage/discussion/praise The Mandalorian got, it was as if this show didn’t exist. In fact, unreleased future shows about Obi-Wan and Boba Fett have spurred more discussion here (and elsewhere).

Did anyone here watch this? Speak up! How was it? Are you excited for a second season? Was it better - or worse - than you expected?

I’m genuinely curious, as I’ve heard nothing about it. I barely knew it had been airing! Apparently it premiered on May 4, three months ago.

Anyway, what’s the story? Ken? Capella? Drew? Kieran? Turtle? 709? Ryan? Where my SW peeps be at? Did this one just not appeal to you after 1-2 episodes?

Speaking for myself, having never fully watched/invested in the Clone Wars stuff, the interest simply wasn’t there. I guess I’m more interested in a) live-action fare, b) about characters I’m already familiar with/enjoy. Right or wrong, that’s my reason for not latching on. *shrug*
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-05, 10:55

My daughter and I are watching The Bad Batch, and it's good. A fun show that delivers some backstory on a group of "mercenary clones" that popped up in Rebels.

Season 1 is still running, and there are two more episodes to come.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-05, 11:56

Cool. That’s the first talk here I’ve seen about it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-08-05, 19:56

I watched about 5-6 of them but then I started watching other things and haven't gotten back to it yet .

I like it for the most part. These side stories of the Star Wars Universe are super interesting to me. I couldn't get into Rebels & Clone Wars, but I'm not entirely turned off of going back to Bad Batch just yet. I'll probably go back to it once the other things are are on now finish for the season.

I'll always pick Ted Lasso over Bad Batch if I only have 1 hour to watch something.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-08-31, 18:11

How did I not know about Letterkenny till last week? This show is hilarious
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-31, 18:48

Pitter Patter

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-02, 12:37

Anyone been watching "What if...?" I've been enjoying that show for the most part. It gives freedoms to a certain level and allow for alternative timelines to be played out.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-09-02, 15:07

I started watching The 100 a few weeks ago and now I'm poring through it. Watching at least one a night.

Not really sure how I missed it before, but there are 7 seasons of it and it's been a delight through 2 seasons so far.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-13, 09:13

Ok, Hawkeye actually looks entertaining in this trailer.

It seems like it has a good balance of light hearted fun with action. I'm losing my joy over the comic based movies and shows but this looks like something I'll likely watch and enjoy.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-13, 10:03

That actually does look interesting/fun.

The vehicles - and Hawkeye being a normal human - puts it in modern times, but in various places it had a (pre-hippie) 60’s spy caper vibe to it. Maybe the music overlay contributed. But some scenes looked like what it would be if everyone on Mad Men started fighting. Something about it just struck me that way.

PS - I kinda have a soft-spot/affinity for movies that, while not blatantly holiday-themed, are set during Christmas, and have that time of year as a backdrop/setting (Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Batman Returns, Trading Places, Gremlins, Home Alone, etc.). I don’t know why, I just do. And have for a long time. That may very well be part of why I enjoyed this trailer too.

Oddly, I'm not really a fan of actual, dedicated Christmas/holiday movies (Miracle on 34th Street, any of the comedies starting Tim Allen or Vince Vaughn, The Polar Express, the various A Christmas Carol adaptations, the more schmaltzy, template-following Hallmark Channel fare, etc.) where the holiday itself is front-and-center in the presentation, plot, marketing and/or outright titling). But movies where it is simply an incidental backdrop to "ground" things...it just happens to be Christmas as characters/events play out.

The lone exception being A Christmas Story. I love that movie, and will watch it 1-2 times every December, as I have done for decades now.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-13 at 10:47.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-13, 10:16

Yeah. I started to say something about the Christmas time frame and couldn't figure out how to word it. You hit the nail on the head. Thanks!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-13, 10:47

Isn't Hawkeye that M*A*S*H character?

I'm so confused. Here I thought there was going to be another M*A*S*H spinoff.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-13, 10:52

That Marvel never saw fit to give Alan Alda a cool, funny cameo in any of these things tells me they're simply not using their heads.

"Tony, Cap, Natasha...I'd like you to meet my father."

"Pleased to meet you all. My son told me had some interesting friends, but I had no idea! Is this the hammer you told me about?" (tell me you can't hear/picture that in that Alda voice/mannerisms...his voice/personality is every bit as distinctive/recognizable as Walken's or Goldblum's).

However, I realize such a thing could very well go over the heads of half the audience in 2021.

"Who's that old man, and why are some people around me chuckling/applauding?"
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-13, 11:35

That would be fun, but those folks just don't think about such things.

We're weird, so we think about them. They need to hire us.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-13, 11:51

I'm sure it crossed someone's mind at some point, if only in passing, for fun. It was never pursued, or, if it was, superhero movies might not be Alda's thing and he politely declined.

Although when you think about all the "legit" actors who've shown up in Marvel movies over the years - folks you'd never picture appearing in such things - it's pretty impressive. Anthony Hopkins, Ben Kingsley, Michael Douglas and William Hurt probably being the four most "what are they doing here?!", followed by quite a few others: Marisa Tomei, Rene Russo, Jeff Bridges, Annette Bening, Tommy Lee Jones, Sam Rockwell, Stanley Tucci, Alfre Woodard, Josh Brolin, Ray Winstone, Don Cheadle, James Spader, Tilda Swinton, Paul Bettany, Robert Redford, Bradley Cooper, Michelle Pfeiffer, Angela Bassett, Benecio del Toro, Terrence Howard, Stellan Skarsgard, Mickey Rourke, etc.

Then all the "genre" actors who still do other solid work outside the MCU: Kurt Russell, Benedict Cumberbatch, Jeff Goldblum, Sam Neill, Hugo Weaving, Samuel L. Jackson, Sylvester Stallone, Vin Diesel, Tom Hiddleston, Idris Elba, David Harbour, Andy Serkis, Michael Rooker, Natalie Portman and on and on.

Then all the smaller, quirkier roles played by Garry Shandling and others.

And those are just off the top of my end, thinking back to the movies I've seen. I'm sure there are tons more.

Since 2008 and that first Iron Man movie, they've racked up an impressive cast of actors to fill all these roles. I've thought about this for years, all the solid talent they've managed to bring in.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-13 at 12:14.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-09-13, 18:17

Alan Alda could make a great "little bad" for the MCU. Say, a senator trying to rebuild SHIELD in the wake of Fury's disappearance or something, but who has evil intentions.

Or as the man pulling the strings behind all of Spidey's enemies in the upcoming movies. Let's see Alan Alda as the Mr. Moneybags behind J.K. Simmons' new Daily Bugle who's also funding Doc Oct.

They could have Alan Alda try to replace Tony's role as the father figure in Peter Parker's life, but with bad intentions. Granted, Jake Gyllenhal kinda did that in the last Spidey film.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-13, 18:29

There was that Scorsese/DiCaptrio movie The Aviator several years ago, and Alda played a senator who tussled with DiCaprio's Howard Hughes. He was good in that part. You're used to seeing him play decent, upright Hawkeye, and he was a bit of a worm here.

I like when actors switch it up and break away from an established image.

Ain't that what it's all about, acting? Someone should maybe tell Jack Nicholson, who's pretty much played the exact same character for 40+ years. Solid work, absolutely. But I can honestly say I've never been surprised by the man.