Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Sticky Safari is a nuisance!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Sticky Safari is a nuisance!
JBrad

2006-01-07, 11:31

Hello,

I have a iMac 20", Rev B, 1GRam, OSX 4.3. Beautiful machine that runs smoothly most of the time. Never crashed once on any program though I'm not a heavy duty user of many applications. But about 30% of the time I load Safari or click a link within Safari, it will stick on me. The blue bar will pause at the second slash after "http."

But it always proceeds to load immediately if I click the link again. That's why I've called it "sticking" which seems to indicate a problem within Safari unlike a busy server or such as that. In the latter cases reclicking doesn't help me.

If I don't nudge Safari at all, it will generally go ahead and load the page in a time span of three or four seconds to as long as ten seconds or so. It doesn't seem serious but I call that a nuisance. And when Safari does decide to load a page it is quicker than the other browsers on my machine like the latest edition of Firefox and Camino.

Resetting Safari or not, doesn't seem to influence this problem. Even if I completely clear private data, Safari may stick at the second slash mark.

Just wondered if any more experienced user knows if this goes with the territory or is something I can fix.

Thanks very much and really enjoy your forums. JBrad
v.noir

2006-01-07, 11:41

I think Safari jumps right to the second slash mark when it's found it's network connection, or something like that. The rest of the bar represents loading the page. Is it possible your router might be a bit slow or something?

...and all the wolves were found upside-down in a box!
WrestleEwe

Send a message via Skype™ to WrestleEwe 
2006-01-07, 11:56

IIRC the Safari progress bar uses the http:// piece to show that DNS-lookup of the site has succeeded and a connection attempt has been made.

When the site responds with the data the rest of the bar will fill.

Perhaps you can ask yourself the following quewstions;

Does this happen in FF or any other browser as well?
Do you have a fast internet connection?
Does this happen with "fast" sites? (i.e. slashdot.org, apple.com, google.com?) Or with the more obscure ones, or just at random?
What happens if you ping the affected sites directly from the terminal?

A friend of mine has the same problem, only on a PC, and we narrowed it down to a crappy DSL modem.

gr,

Paul

EDIT: hrm.. It seems I took too long to compose my reply, v.noir said almost exactly the same thing...
JBrad

2006-01-07, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.noir
I think Safari jumps right to the second slash mark when it's found it's network connection, or something like that. The rest of the bar represents loading the page. Is it possible your router might be a bit slow or something?
Yes, the bar will normally pass right through the second slash with hardly a pause and proceed to load the page. Normally, very quickly. It's that 30% of the time that the bar pauses at the second slash and becomes stuck.

As I say, I can instantly unstick it by clicking again on the link.

I'm using RoadRunner with a link speed of 100Mb according to Network Utility.

Thanks, JBrad