User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Can I use both Wi-Fi (Airport Express Base Station) and Ethernet Lan on Mac Pro?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Can I use both Wi-Fi (Airport Express Base Station) and Ethernet Lan on Mac Pro?
markw10
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2007-01-15, 13:22

I am upgrading my main server computer in my house to a Mac Pro likely this summer. I know it has built in Gigabit Ethernet and I plan to as well add the Wi-Fi 'n' option. Also, in Feb. I plan to get the new 'n' version of the Airport Express Base Station. The only thing I don't like about this is it doesn't have the Gigabit Ethernet option. I thought of a possible workaround to have wi-fi 'n' in my house as well as gigabit for all wired computers. The reason this is important is I have 2 desktops other than the Mac Pro which are all gigabit LAN but yet I also have one, soon two MacBook Pro's as well as a Apple TV on the way.
My workaround would be to have the Mac Pro using Wi-Fi so of course tied into the Airport Express Base Station. As well, I would purchase a gigabit switch which would be hooked onto the gigabit LAN connector on the Mac Pro. I would then use that switch to run the wires to the other two desktops for gigabit LAN and would not use the LAN connectors at all on the Airport Express Base Station. The question, can I use both of these on the Mac Pro at the same time? Would this in a sense create a seamless network meaning that I could communicate (such as transferring files) from my MacBook Pro (over airport wi-fi) to a desktop that is connected via gigabit LAN?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-01-15, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
I am upgrading my main server computer in my house to a Mac Pro likely this summer. I know it has built in Gigabit Ethernet and I plan to as well add the Wi-Fi 'n' option. Also, in Feb. I plan to get the new 'n' version of the Airport Express Base Station. The only thing I don't like about this is it doesn't have the Gigabit Ethernet option. I thought of a possible workaround to have wi-fi 'n' in my house as well as gigabit for all wired computers. The reason this is important is I have 2 desktops other than the Mac Pro which are all gigabit LAN but yet I also have one, soon two MacBook Pro's as well as a Apple TV on the way.
My workaround would be to have the Mac Pro using Wi-Fi so of course tied into the Airport Express Base Station. As well, I would purchase a gigabit switch which would be hooked onto the gigabit LAN connector on the Mac Pro. I would then use that switch to run the wires to the other two desktops for gigabit LAN and would not use the LAN connectors at all on the Airport Express Base Station. The question, can I use both of these on the Mac Pro at the same time? Would this in a sense create a seamless network meaning that I could communicate (such as transferring files) from my MacBook Pro (over airport wi-fi) to a desktop that is connected via gigabit LAN?
You realize the 802.11n is only about 100MBs IRL right? Get a gigabit switch for your gigabit ethernet and connect it to one of the ports on the APE.

Wiki says it actually about 200MBs now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
rasmits
rams it

2007-01-15, 13:52

Why do that? Get a dlink or Linksys which has gigabit ethernet and more LAN ports. Better signal strength with external antenna, and about $20 cheaper than the APE's edu pricing.

The only advantage an Airport Express has is the Apple logo on top.

You had me at asl
markw10
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2007-01-15, 19:08

Thanks for the help. I have looked at other brands but one thing I heard today is that Apple will be including the software with the new airports which unlocks the 'n' in the macs meaning you'd actually have no choice but to get Apple's hardware to use 'n'. I dont' quite understand this and I think it's an awful choice. Maybe the drivers will eventually become available elsewhere.
I didn't realize the speed is close to 100mb anyway for 'n'. By APE I assume you mean the airport base station. My only question. If I connect the gigabit switch to the base station I know it would then bring the internet connection into my network and with the 3MBPS internet speed the 100Mbps isn't a bottleneck but the Airport will be plugged into a Mac Pro acting as a server. If I'm correct I would only have 100Mbps then going into the server, right?
I had the original idea of running the gigabit straight into the Mac Pro but now realize even though it would work fine to access files maybe it wouldn't work with the internet.
Or would it work by of course once again using wi-fi on the Mac Pro with my Airport Base Station, plugging the gigabit switch into the gigabit ethernet port on the Mac Pro and then as well plugging this same gigabit switch into the Airport? Maybe that's what you meant. The more I'm typing the more I'm confusing myself.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-01-15, 19:23

$5 for 'n' upgrade on C2D Mac's

If it were me and you wanted to go with the APE (AirPort Extreme), I would connect all your wired gigabit equipment to a gigabit switch and then connect the switch to one of the ports on the APE. That way, all of your gigabit network components can talk to each other at full speed.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-01-15, 19:28

Wifi isnt good for servers....... you want a wired connection