User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

TV Talk shows set to stop for writers strike.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
TV Talk shows set to stop for writers strike.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-11-03, 09:18

In a move that I find quite interesting, the writers guild of america is asking its members to strike over low pay for new media forms. Whilst I agree with their actions somewhat, I find the move quite embaressing for the presenters such as Jay Leno and Letterman.

Quote:
Shows hosted by stars such as Jay Leno, David Letterman and Jon Stewart are expected to stop almost immediately as they rely on a supply of topical jokes.
This is weird, as, although you know they have everything written for them, they can't even function without someone telling them what to write, as though all their innate funniness has gone. You kind of expect them to be really funny people themselves, but apparently they aren't able to produce even broadcastable jokes.

I personally though am more worried that some of the best dramas are going to fall apart if the writers walk out on it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7074306.stm
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2007-11-03, 09:39

I think all of them could handle writing a monologue, but there is much more to those shows than just a monologue. Plus Dave & Jay were writers at a time and probably feel some empathy.

as to the night time stuff, I remember reading that most production companies have been expecting this so they have a good number of scripts ready to be done.
But what about a show like 24, where it's written on the fly? I think they are a good way in, (we already have seen clips of the resurrection of Tony Almeda) but a strike could cripple them.

Wasn't a writers strike responsible for the Game Show/Reality boom? I seem to remember that's why Who Wants To Be A Millionaire got on the air.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-03, 10:57

Oh man, you're probably right about that. I forgot. Yikes...

Where there are no "writers" around to make stuff up, you wind up with all the unscripted "Who Wants to Give My Big Brother the Next Big Reacharound While He Survives the Race to Hell's Kitchen?" shows...ugh.

Oh well. Any chance, looking at the current crop of what's on TV, they could go on strike, and, I don't know, possibly stay there for a few decades?

Honestly, it's not as if there's actually anything watchable on the four networks, in terms of sitcoms or dramas. The comedies simply aren't funny, and the dramas - every one of them! - are all set in hospitals or forensic labs and they're fairly plodding, smarmy and full of themselves. And don't even get me started on the cheeseball "disease/crisis movie of the week" (or miniseries) output...

Strike away, boys. Here's hoping the actors, directors and crews all follow! Don't hurry back...how can we miss you if you don't go away?

Throw me in the briar patch...
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-11-03, 11:05

I noticed Conan wasn't on that list. Does he pay his writers more, or does he just have that much original material?
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-11-03, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
I noticed Conan wasn't on that list. Does he pay his writers more, or does he just have that much original material?
No material = no writers needed.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-03, 15:43

I don't think anyone "writes" that silly mess.

It's just a goofy guy acting, well, goofy for an hour.

Actually, I don't like when Conan interviews because he's really bad at it (and he sets himself up for endless schtick and double-takes). But his monologues and some of the "first 15 minutes" stuff always makes me chuckle. The whole show should just be him and the band, doing whatever. Leno, Letterman and Ferguson can have all the actors and musicians promoting their latest stuff...
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-11-03, 15:49

If Desperate Housewives has to hiatus for this, I'm going to be pissed.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-11-03, 15:51

Look at the bright side: Many, many more repeats of Friends! How amazing would that be‽
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-03, 16:12

Yes, because the 27 times a day they're currently aired simply isn't enough!
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-11-03, 16:18

The interrobang obviously didn't have its intended sarcastic effect.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-11-03, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
The interrobang obviously didn't have its intended sarcastic effect.
Don't confuse it with the sarcasm mark, or the point d'ironie!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-03, 16:30

Sorry, I didn't even notice your bang.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2007-11-03, 16:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Sorry, I didn't even notice your bang.
That's what all the girls say to me. It's a sad truth.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2007-11-03, 16:36

I don't watch talk shows, so that aspect has no matter for me. What "regular", non talk or reality shows, are going to be affected by this? (I am aware that we may not see the affect on dramas immediately, either, as many have already filmed or completed scripts, right?)

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Freewell

2007-11-03, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Oh man, you're probably right about that. I forgot. Yikes...

Where there are no "writers" around to make stuff up, you wind up with all the unscripted "Who Wants to Give My Big Brother the Next Big Reacharound While He Survives the Race to Hell's Kitchen?" shows...ugh.

Oh well. Any chance, looking at the current crop of what's on TV, they could go on strike, and, I don't know, possibly stay there for a few decades?

Honestly, it's not as if there's actually anything watchable on the four networks, in terms of sitcoms or dramas. The comedies simply aren't funny, and the dramas - every one of them! - are all set in hospitals or forensic labs and they're fairly plodding, smarmy and full of themselves. And don't even get me started on the cheeseball "disease/crisis movie of the week" (or miniseries) output...

Strike away, boys. Here's hoping the actors, directors and crews all follow! Don't hurry back...how can we miss you if you don't go away?

Throw me in the briar patch...

Stellar post.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2007-11-03, 18:30

I agree and I have an appointment Monday Morning with Fox execs over my new reality show, "Next Big Reacharound"™.
I haven't worked out the details yet, but the title is more important anyway. (thanks Pscates, it's now trademarked, so don't even think about it!)

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-11-03, 19:47

I know that NBC acquired the rights to show the UK version of The Office in case they couldn't produce any more episodes of the US version. And while I like the UK version, it's just not the same. I need Jam. (That's Jim + Pam, y'all.)

Jon Stewart gave a bit of a warning about the strike at the end of his show on Thursday. I wonder if Colbert will be affected? I know Colbert writes more of his own material. (He wrote his book on his own, for example.)

And don't get me started on what would happen if I couldn't get my House.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-03, 23:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC View Post
I agree and I have an appointment Monday Morning with Fox execs over my new reality show, "Next Big Reacharound"™.
I haven't worked out the details yet, but the title is more important anyway. (thanks Pscates, it's now trademarked, so don't even think about it!)
Damn!

Ha, we laugh...but give it another 5 years or so. There will some sort of ultra-tacky, explicit "My Mom Wants a Three-Way" type of show on. Actually kinda surprised it's not already out there...

Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-11-04, 00:04

'scates - If you had some time and a few dollars to spare, I'd suggest you start cyber-squatting, or at least registering, those domains. You seem to have a knack for nailing possible show titles. Could be some good retirement dollars (or maybe a future iPod purchase) for you.

All I want is a simple life
twitter