Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

2021 Apple Store

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
2021 Apple Store
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-04, 06:58

Apple released a new Apple Store this week!

Seems like a new "product" to me?

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-08-04, 07:02

Finally, you can buy Apple products online! Sweet.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-08-04, 07:24

Redundancy is the key to success.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-04, 07:42

It was always this way until a few years ago, its own dedicated tab/link that you could access anytime, from anywhere. I like it this way.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-04, 08:32

I'm kinda glad they did this though. It used to be you would have to navigate through a product page to then add to the "Bag". Now if I know I'm there to buy product X I can go to the store and add it to my cart.

At least they finally redirected "store.apple.com" back to the new apple.com/store. There for a while it would give a 404.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-04, 09:11

They seem to be reverting back to how some things were, before they “fixed” what was never broken.

In recent years they’ve:
- ditched the butterfly keyboard
- brought back the silver Mac mini
- gone back to the squared-off edges on the iPhone (the 12 is more like the 5/5s)
- the iMac is colorful again
- if rumors pan out, the upcoming 14” and 16” MacBook Pro may be sporting some ports recent models have lacked.

And although it’s been a while they also pulled back from all that excessively thin, wispy typography from iOS 7.

So many stupid and/or unnecessary things they’ve done over the past 5-7 years seem to be getting reversed, a little at a time.

And now they put the store back to the way it used to be, easily/quickly accessible from anywhere on the site without having to drill down 1-2 levels via an actual product page.

All the above, taken together, kinda makes me think they’ve been making some lousy, questionable decisions in recent years and now they’re finally addressing them.

Sometimes the “old way” works just fine and changing it just to make sparks or look like you’re doing something isn’t always improvement or progress.

If this keeps up, that charging port on the Magic Mouse will eventually be moved to a location that allows it to be used while charging!

Imagine that.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-04 at 12:28.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-08-04, 10:48

I kind of get where they were going with "why does the store need to be a separate tab at all?", but I wonder if it did indeed lead to some people thinking "oh, you can't buy online, I guess".
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-04, 12:33

Probably. It seems silly, but I wonder if other companies like them - Dell, HP, etc. - make the store/buying part a bit more obvious and upfront?

And for people who just enjoy cruising the store in general, and seeing what all is available, what things look like, how much they cost, what colors they come in, etc., maybe this makes that easier? You see it right there at the top of their site, before the listing of all the product categories.

I don't think they're struggling with sales but I'd hate to think some dolts out there didn't buy something because they didn't see an obvious "store" on the homepage. Yes, whatever they were looking to buy - MacBook Air, iPad, watch, etc. - does have that blue "Buy" button at the top right of each product page (and still does), but some people are just thick and/or lazy about stuff, and either just didn't notice or didn't even dig that far? Hard to believe, but...

And maybe, after years of online shopping being a thing, so many people are just trained/expecting to look for a blatant "store" section or component of a site.

It isn't my favorite approach, but sometimes you gotta handhold/spoon-feed folks. I've come to accept that I live in a world of impatient, no-reading/exploration-averse chuckleheads who can't/won't/don't process anything beyond 140 characters and require a flashing neon sign reading "HERE IT IS!" in 72 pt. type.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-04, 12:57

Personally I really hope this "new" way to browse the store it better. An example I had was buying Nanoleaf Essential bulbs. With the Veteran discount the Apple store was the cheapest place I could find them. How did I find them last week?

Click on HomePod. Click Buy. Scroll down to HomeKit Accessories and click it. Then find the bulbs.

Now at least I can click on Accessories and then HomeKit.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-04, 13:54

Yeah, at the very least it should save some (many?) folks 1-2 unnecessary clicks. Not the end of the world, I realize, but if you can get to something quicker, with less hassle, why not?

I like it.

I've visited it a few times today, just purposely looking for something goofy/obscure and it seems I'm able to get to it a bit quicker than before (sometimes you might burn a few seconds thinking "is this more of a Mac accessory? Or iPad? Or maybe even music?"

So it automatically takes that round of thinking off the table and you just get yourself directly to the store. And I noticed they actually put the AirPods and AirTags in their own heading, right there at the landing page (because those can be used with anything, and they used to get tucked under Music or iPhone or whatever). So they also addressed that, saving yet another round of clicking/guessing where something like AirTags might be.

In theory, someone looking for AirTags should now be able to find them in only two clicks instead of 3-5 (including some wrong guesses). Nothing wrong with that!

The whole thing just seems more sensible and straightforward, from the messing around I've done today. It's way better to use than this time yesterday, for sure.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-04 at 14:07.
chucker

2021-08-05, 03:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Probably. It seems silly, but I wonder if other companies like them - Dell, HP, etc. - make the store/buying part a bit more obvious and upfront?

I mean…

I guess? Kind of? Like, for Dell, if you go to Laptops, for Work (why is this distinction there?), you get a configurator on the left-hand side to filter by screen size, say. And then you're straight into a gallery page with lots of price tags and HERE BUY THIS ONE NO THIS ONE HOW ABOUT THIS ONE yelling.

So, technically, yes, the store is more upfront. But I've found it to be awful to navigate. Why do all those laptop lines exist? How do they differ from each other? Why would I pick a New Precision 3561 over a New Precision 7560? How about a Vostro 3500? Or a New XPS? (I haven't gotten to Inspiron and Latitude yet. All of these product lines show up if I filter for "business" and "11th Gen Intel Core". Yes, there are some obvious differences like Latitude apparently now being reserved for convertibles, but… most differences are quite unclear to me.)

It seems designed to have you quickly give up and call a sales rep. Sigh.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-05, 11:02

The online Apple Store has always been one of the easier-to-navigate online stores from anyone. Like, ever!

Dell has always been the bastion of a billion choices, and a confusing mess.

That said, the last few years have been a bit confusing at Apple.com. The "follow the rabbit down the hole" method of discovering the "Buy" button has been bad. The new thing is better, but that "click for more" arrow thing has got to go. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Just put a thumbnail of the things on the front page and don't go making me click twelve times to find accessories.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-05, 11:06

To be clear, I never said the Dell (or other) store were better/superior. But just that, from the home page, it was pretty obvious where to go to buy stuff (the whole point of an online store).

Apple has addressed that now (by *gasp* making it the way it was, and worked fine, for years before).

I've been to Dell and other sites, yes...the actually process is a mess, but if I wanted to buy something I can get right to it from the home page. Until two days ago, Apple required a couple of clicks - and maybe even a wrong guess or two. How is that superior to anything?

The Apple online store is now like it should've been all along. As I said upthread they seem to be reviewing/addressing some of their more questionable, dipshit moves of late. Good, because this was one.
chucker

2021-08-05, 11:08

I didn't mean to attack you, to be clear. I just wish buying stuff at Dell were more obvious. It's clearer (kind of? maybe?) that there is a store, but not much more.
chucker

2021-08-05, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
The online Apple Store has always been one of the easier-to-navigate online stores from anyone. Like, ever!

Dell has always been the bastion of a billion choices, and a confusing mess.

That said, the last few years have been a bit confusing at Apple.com. The "follow the rabbit down the hole" method of discovering the "Buy" button has been bad. The new thing is better, but that "click for more" arrow thing has got to go. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Just put a thumbnail of the things on the front page and don't go making me click twelve times to find accessories.
Don't get me started with their scroll jacking. It's gotten so hard to get to the information…
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-05, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I didn't mean to attack you, to be clear. I just wish buying stuff at Dell were more obvious. It's clearer (kind of? maybe?) that there is a store, but not much more.
I know, I just wanted it known that I wasn't praising the Dell (or HP) stores for a better layout/experience (just that any goober could, from their home page, get right to the store/buying part). Whatever hell they ran into after that, yeah...that's bad design/layout on Dell's part. They could stand to tighten up/streamline a bit.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-05 at 11:26.