User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

N.Y. ban on same-sex marriage struck down!!!!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
N.Y. ban on same-sex marriage struck down!!!!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
ohara
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-02-04, 18:13

this is surprising....

N.Y. ban on same-sex marriage struck down

http://abcnews.go.com/US/print?id=472267

I hope it sticks - America's getting too Jesusy...
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-02-04, 18:18

Well, that's good news. Hope it sticks.

I enjoyed this quote:
Quote:
Mathew Staver, president of Liberty Counsel, said he was "disappointed" by the decision. "Redefinition of a law's terms is for the legislature to do, not for a judge. She's an activist judge legislating from the bench."
Where have I heard that before?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-02-04, 18:31

You know I tire of this shit quickly.

Does anyone really think there wouldn't be plenty of ways around this, even if it were passed by every state in the union? There would be ministers and justices aplenty who would defy the law and marry gay couples anyway.

Sodomy (with either sex) was and still is illegal in many states, but I would love to see an account of someone who in the last 30 years was actually arrested for it (between consenting adults I mean) and put on trial. These types of laws mean nothing because there's not going to be any law enforcement types roaming around enforcing it.

It's all for show so Ralph Reed (who is also gay ironically, I'm sure of it... he just needs to come out of the closet) and his flock can feel good about America and Apple pie.

*shrug*

...into the light of a dark black night.
ohara
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-02-04, 18:39

any New Yorkers out there?

does anyone think this will be overturned?

isn't this strange that one judge can decide all this....
mama's left eye

2005-02-04, 20:42

Damn fags, be moving in here soon. Sitting next to me, watching my TV. Was a time when they knew their place, wasn't none of this mixing going on... Your mother, she hated 'em fags too... I'm telling ya, she did...

It is better to be judged by twelve than to be carried by six.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-02-04, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohara
any New Yorkers out there?
yep. i'm here.

Quote:
does anyone think this will be overturned?
no clue. we are a pretty liberal state, so i would be surprised if the people wanted this overturned (and we do have a noticeable amount of gays). but i dont know about judges, the n.y. supreme court, the exact letter of law or nothing. well, i konw a few things about the n.y. s.c. building, but i dont know the justices or nuffin.

Quote:
buddy, you don't know the meaning of strange. i've walked, and i've crawled on six crooked highways... I saw a black branch with blood that kept drippin'. {the rza}
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-02-05, 00:32

Quote:
Nothing strange about it. It's the tiered arrangement of the judicial system we've got around here.
IonYz

Send a message via AIM to IonYz  
2005-02-05, 01:34

Quote:
America's getting too Jesusy...
Amen... oh, wait.

Some serious loosening up is needed 'round here. In the same spectrum of television I could see people beaten to death by a shovel, shoot several people, drug someone, etc. etc. and then a flash of boob and America riots.

Oh, and good for New York. Go blue states all... few of you.

/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-02-05, 01:43

America just freaked out because it was a gross old boob with a railroad spike driven through it. It would've been fine had been Britney Spears or the Dixie Chicks.
IonYz

Send a message via AIM to IonYz  
2005-02-05, 03:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
It would've been fine had been Britney Spears or the Dixie Chicks.
I propose an experiment!
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-02-05, 12:41

I would like to second that notion.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-02-05, 12:50

Yes, experimentation is definitely needed. And we need a focus group, I'll volunteer.

Remember, it was not just ANY gross old boob - it belonged to the sister of a gross old boob, as well.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-02-05, 12:56

Why is this suprising, I thought NY was almost as blue as any other NE/Industrial Mid-North/Western states?
nomorewindows

2005-02-05, 13:03

Quote:
this is surprising....

N.Y. ban on same-sex marriage struck down

http://abcnews.go.com/US/print?id=472267

I hope it sticks - America's getting too Jesusy...
God doesn't give a shit about same-sex marriage. She told me so last week. Jerry Falwell really pisses her off, however.

But really, I don't understand why ANYONE would care. If you don't like it, don't do it. Most "straight" marriages are not exactly rock-solid, so exactly what's being protected here?

"A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other." Baltasar Gracian
spiff

Send a message via AIM to spiff  
2005-02-05, 13:12

I always find it rather strange whenever this same sex marriage issue comes up because you always hear the religious right start preaching about the sanctity of marriage. Considering we live in a country with nearly a 50% divorce rate I find this to be quite humorous. I don't see how it's anybody's business who somebody marries, anyway, whether it's a man a woman or a toaster.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-05, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorewindows
But really, I don't understand why ANYONE would care. If you don't like it, don't do it. Most "straight" marriages are not exactly rock-solid, so exactly what's being protected here?
Inventing a common enemy can unite a group of people. It gives them a "cause" to stand together and fight for.

That's what the Nazis did.

YES I SAID NAZIS.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-05, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Inventing a common enemy can unite a group of people. It gives them a "cause" to stand together and fight for.

That's what the Nazis did.

YES I SAID NAZIS.

ahhh!! I can feel the rifts of hell opening unleashing waves of lamers and newbies to reach up and drag this thread to the ether!
nomorewindows

2005-02-05, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
ahhh!! I can feel the rifts of hell opening unleashing waves of lamers and newbies to reach up and drag this thread to the ether!
My guess is you're trying to be funny, but I'm not sure how. Brad is right.
mama's left eye

2005-02-05, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff
we live in a country with nearly a 50% divorce rate I find this to be quite humorous.
Hmmm... I haven't researched the argument enough to pick a side yet, but that number is completely false. It was a "projected" divorce rate if the trends of the times continued. It has already been lowered to a 40% projected rate. When measured year by year, the actual rate is between 18% and 20%.

What I don't understand is why marriage is so importans to homo's? I've always thought of marraige as a religous thing. The christian religion leaves absolutely no room for homosexuality.

It is better to be judged by twelve than to be carried by six.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-05, 22:11

you are right, marriage IS a religious thing. It should be barred from the public sector completely. The onlything the gov't should care about are civil unions. If someone wants to get "married" in a church that has nothing to do with the gov't... unless of course the civil union was being celebrated as well, but they should be COMPLETELY SEPARATE issues. PERIOD.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-02-05, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
you are right, marriage IS a religious thing. It should be barred from the public sector completely. The onlything the gov't should care about are civil unions. If someone wants to get "married" in a church that has nothing to do with the gov't... unless of course the civil union was being celebrated as well, but they should be COMPLETELY SEPARATE issues. PERIOD.
That is just how I feel.

I am all for civil union of any two persons reguardless of sex...
And I feel that 'marriage' has always been a religious binding of two people, so a 'marriage' would be at the terms of the religion -- not the government.

I was spoon-fed religion in catholic school growing up for 8 years of my life. . . because of this, I came to understand that marriage was in the eyes of God. Today, I don't fallow that religion, or any religion for that matter. And I know that when I choose to get "married" it will be by law, not by the church.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-02-06, 00:28

I kind of agree that government need not be involved in marriage but if they are then that right must be extended to queers. But would the religious folks be okay if the government didn't recognize their marriage only their union? Anyway, Canada's definition of marriage (if it's passed into law) will work nicely whether or not they get out of marriage business. If I recall, it's something like, "a union between two persons to the exclusion of all others".
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-06, 02:15

Quote:
...but if they are then that right must be extended to queers.
You say it as though there's something wrong with that.

Just over a hundred years ago, Jim Crow was the name of the game and the government enforced all kinds of unfair laws against "colored" people. Do any of these lines sound familiar?

Quote:
"The marriage of a person of Caucasian blood with a Negro, Mongolian, Malay, or Hindu shall be null and void."

"It shall be unlawful for a white person to marry anyone except a white person. Any marriage in violation of this section shall be void."

"The marriage of a white person with a negro or mulatto or person who shall have one-eighth or more of negro blood, shall be unlawful and void."
Mix them up a little with the terms homosexual, same-sex, gay, and lesbian and you've got what the modern-day bigots are trying to enforce. It's nonsensical, prejudiced, and disgustingly bigoted. You might as well say disabled people can't marry or that immigrants can't marry or that people with red hair can't marry.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-02-06, 10:04

No, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I was just saying, if government is in the marriage business (rather than just civil unions) then that right has be extended to everyone. Separate but equal is not enough. You can't exclude and two persons from marriage. Did I come across as being against it???
Random Hero

2005-02-06, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama's left eye
Hmmm... I haven't researched the argument enough to pick a side yet, but that number is completely false. It was a "projected" divorce rate if the trends of the times continued. It has already been lowered to a 40% projected rate. When measured year by year, the actual rate is between 18% and 20%.

What I don't understand is why marriage is so importans to homo's? I've always thought of marraige as a religous thing. The christian religion leaves absolutely no room for homosexuality.
You're right, and the statement that 50% of all couples who marry every year get divorced is also skewed, the number of divorces per year is not related to the number of marriages, for example, 100,000 couples could get married this year and 50,000 could get divorced, but those 50,000 could/would be from marriages from previous years.

No awkward goodbyes. No 'still friends' bullshit. Just a couple of bruised titties and a failed relationship. I rule.
spiff

Send a message via AIM to spiff  
2005-02-06, 12:14

Quote:
Well, it's really high at any rate. I went with 50% because it seemed like a nice number. Measuring year by year I think is a cheap way to make it seem lower. And a 40% projected rate isn't exactly 40% either.

Not to get into some statistical argument with you, but I don't think my retarded 50% was way off.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-06, 13:05

Quote:
Did I come across as being against it???
Sorry about that. Calling people queers and homos is derogatory akin to calling africans niggers or hispanics spics; so, I just assumed this was a jab at them.
mama's left eye

2005-02-06, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Sorry about that. Calling people queers and homos is derogatory akin to calling africans niggers or hispanics spics; so, I just assumed this was a jab at them.
I don't see calling someone a "homo" as being derogatory. It's just an abbreviation.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-02-06, 19:17

Quote:
I don't see calling someone a "homo" as being derogatory. It's just an abbreviation.
I agree with Brad, although I see what you are saying. But as annoying as it is, calling someone a homo actually carries negative connotation while a homosexual is not.

On the same note, normally you can say 'is gay', but 'a gay' isn't acceptable. Fun fun huh?
¡Damned!

2005-02-06, 19:22

Quote:
Right. Like 'fag'.