User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iBook battery vs. house current use

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iBook battery vs. house current use
Elleswood

2005-06-03, 11:31

I have a 6-month old iBook G4. I am really pleased with the battery life (and with the computer in general). I have used the battery sparingly, usually operating the computer off house current. I have Airport Extreme, so I carry the computer about the house some, but mainly use it in our parlor (den) where my charger/line cord is located. But it has occurred to me that this might not be the best policy, that the battery maybe should be run down and charged up regularly to extend its life. Yet maybe that would shorten the battery life. Then perhaps it doesn't matter. But I know some of you folks know. Share it with me, please. And BTW, the iBook replaced an iMac G4 FP that cratered.
Elleswood
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-06-03, 11:39

See this is where all you guys spending a shit load of cash on new Macs should READ anything and EVERYTHING regarding your warranty.

It's simple. If you are within the first year of owning your iBook, and after doing a full battery cycle (that's 100% to 0%, then back up to 100%, NOTE to 0% and no more) then if your iBook holds a charge less then two hours you are covered for a replacement under applecare. Note, this will have to be reproduced by an Apple tech before replacement anyway.

After your first year, in warranty or not, your battery is considered a consumable and is not covered for having a weak charge. (However, if the battery stops functioning, ie holding no charge what-so-ever, then it can be covered.)

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2005-06-03, 12:25

Not sure what post Wickers was responding to, but basically lithium-ion batteries age no matter what you do with them. To minimise this ageing process, you can do a few things:
  1. Fully discharge the battery then recharge it fully at least once a month
  2. Store the battery at around 40% charge if you are not planning to use it for more than a week
  3. Avoid exposing the battery to heat. This is the most important precaution you can take. Lithium-ion batteries dislike 30 degrees C and hate 40 degrees, especially if they are being used at these temperatures. If you are cooking you notebook for hours on end (say, encoding video), remove the battery if at all possible.

Beyond these precautions, don't worry because worrying won't help. Your battery will be goosed after a couple of years whether you baby it or not.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-06-03, 12:33

I was trying to point out that if he is getting more then 2 hours, then he's doing good.

Remember, most highend PC laptops are lucky to get 2 hours out of the box, let alone a few months into it's life.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
Elleswood

2005-06-03, 16:16

Just want to say, "thank you" to all of you who responded to my question.
I will say that I must be getting good usage since my battery easily runs 4 hours.
I will use the experienced counsel you all gave me, especially the battery life-lengthening ideas you included. Thanks again.
"Use it up or wear it out; make it do or do without." When you're brought up in the Great Depression of the 1930s, that's your life. Just living it.

Elleswood