Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

New Mac Mini = Happy Me...some Safari issues, however

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New Mac Mini = Happy Me...some Safari issues, however
Carlos Net

Send a message via AIM to Carlos Net Send a message via MSN to Carlos Net  
2005-08-19, 17:59

I just (incredibly unexpectedly, it was a surprise present, I didn't know about it until I was informed in the middle of a visit to the London Apple Store today ) upgraded from my old 400MHz iMac G3 to a shiny new Mac Mini (1.42 GHz G4). For someone who's been stuck on that old machine, and using Panther, the difference is phenomenal, and I'm thrilled to finally have a machine that works well and Tiger to boot

On the negative side, Safari, my primary browser, is experiencing a few problems (it's the only thing I can find wrong with the machine so far...)

I transferred my user account over from my old Mac, of course, so there are any number of things that could have been causing the problem. I've heard that iGetter can cause some problems, so I've trashed that, since I never used it anyway, but it makes no difference.

At one point, it was crashing instantly upon startup every time, but I discovered the source of that problem, though I can't explain it; it was an app by the name of CocoaGestures that I just impulse-installed today after getting the new Mac. I like the app, but for some reason its presence causes Safari to crash, so I'll probably abandon the idea of using it unless I have some explanation and solution. At this rate, however, it's not going to make any difference, as I'm going to switch over to OmniWeb permanently, since Safari's rendered practically useless by the other problem, that I haven't been able to explain.

Essentially, Safari crashes (resulting in a "Safari has unexpectedly quit" message) almost every time a window or tab is closed. That's the main problem. This also occurred a few times when I tried to Reset Safari in an attempt to solve the problem, but in none of these cases is it consistent; it happens the majority of times, but not every time, I attempt one of these actions.

I've tried reloading Safari after removing the contents of, in turn, the ~/Library/Preferences, ~/Library/InputManagers and ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins folders, none of which have any effect. I've also tried repairing disk permissions; again, no effect. So, I'm a little stumped at to what's causing the problem.

Breaking News: the CocoaGestures problem has been solved; I just tried installing it a third time, and it would appear that one of my measures for treating the other problem has alleviated the CocoaGestures problem Still no luck with the other issue, though...
*Joe*

Send a message via AIM to *Joe* Send a message via MSN to *Joe*  
2005-08-24, 18:15

My mother has been experiencing issues with Safari resulting in exactly the same "unexpectedly quit" message, on her 12" iBook. It is strange as I had the 'book for over a year without any problems. However I havn't found a solution to the problem and have obviously reported a 'bug' to apple, and switched her to firefox.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-24, 19:09

Have you trashed your Caches folders too?

Located in:
/Library/
and
~/Library/