Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Solaris 10 on Power Mac G5 + Acrylic ACD

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Solaris 10 on Power Mac G5 + Acrylic ACD
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-05-20, 19:20

So here's a noodle-scratcher. I am pretty sure this one is going to require Brad or chucker for an answer - but feel free to prove me wrong

I need to learn how to use Solaris for my new job. I have an old Power Mac G5 lying around, but the monitor I want to use with it is an old 20" acrylic ACD - which of course uses an ADC connector.

Now, the question is: will Solaris be able to power an ADC monitor through a Radeon 9800 Mac edition? I would be VERY surprised if there are specific drivers, so generic ones would be necessary, but will generic drivers have trouble with the ADC connector?

I guess a more technical way to phrase the question is: are special drivers necessary to use an ADC port?

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-05-20, 19:52

Wait a minute... never mind. Solaris, as far as I can tell, isn't available in a PPC flavor.

Oh well. Time to find another old computer.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-05-20, 20:01

I belive ADC is just DVI with power built in. So it could maybe be possible if solaris has a PPC version.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-05-20, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
I belive ADC is just DVI with power built in. So it could maybe be possible if solaris has a PPC version.
And USB. But yeah, ideally, you're right.
JKitterman

2007-05-21, 14:33

Try searching for Polaris. Power PC Solaris project. They may have something working by now. If you have an Intel Mac, you can use virtualization and load Solaris x86. Try OpenSolaris too.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-05-21, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKitterman View Post
If you have an Intel Mac, you can use virtualization and load Solaris x86. Try OpenSolaris too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
I have an old Power Mac G5 lying around, but the monitor I want to use with it is an old 20" acrylic ACD - which of course uses an ADC connector.