User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Talk
Page 62 of 68 First Previous 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-09-20, 11:05

A very large percentage of Japanese cars are made in America. Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Mazda, and Nissan all have large plants in the U.S.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-09-20, 14:47

Yes, RAV, CRV, Civic, Corolla, and more are made in Canada and the US. It’s all part of trade agreements, so they have to.

I don’t think being made somewhere else makes something good or bad. That all comes down to the people doing the work. I don’t see any problems with the Maverick in terms of assembly. Over half the parts in it are made in Canada and the US anyway.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2022-09-20, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
One word of warning, from what I've seen from reviewers who took the Santa Cruz with the dual clutch transmission for off road adventures, is that the dual clutch is not great for that. It was a while ago, so I don't remember why, but I konw they thought the Maverick EcoBoost AWD package was better than the dual clutch Santa Cruz when both vehicles were tested on the same paths off the pavement. One of them who later bought a Santa Cruz got the lower trim just to get the standard automatic, which they said was better for off road.
That was something I looked into. One major flaw in my opinion on those off-road tests is that they are all using the tricked out Limited trim which has 20” rims and poor grip all seasons, and don’t use appropriate drive modes (aka snow in soft, sandy conditions). No wonder the transmission seems to get mad on aggressive hill climbs in the those tests.

For my use it will be 90% normal drive mainly with some not super aggressive off-road. The Premium with the smaller 18” rims and an appropriate aggressive tire should be able to handle that.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-09-20, 18:55

Okay, this is helpful.

Apparently it was 5% of Tacomas produced between October of last year and May of this year were affected by a faulty spot weld to car seat anchors. This is a case of receiving insufficient information and running with it.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-20, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
That was something I looked into. One major flaw in my opinion on those off-road tests is that they are all using the tricked out Limited trim which has 20” rims and poor grip all seasons, and don’t use appropriate drive modes (aka snow in soft, sandy conditions). No wonder the transmission seems to get mad on aggressive hill climbs in the those tests.

For my use it will be 90% normal drive mainly with some not super aggressive off-road. The Premium with the smaller 18” rims and an appropriate aggressive tire should be able to handle that.
Interesting, one of the reviewers (it's a truck reviewer, not a general vehicle reviewer) had it as a long term test drive, and had AT tires (Falken Wildpeak AT3 IIRC) on there for the off road test, and they tried all the drive modes. That was last fall when I was trying to decide which one to go for, so I don't remember much of the details. I have no idea what a good off-road tire is, the most I go off pavement is into campgrounds, or the odd maintained logging road, and never had issues with normal tires. Looks like you've done your due diligence though.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-20, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Okay, this is helpful.

Apparently it was 5% of Tacomas produced between October of last year and May of this year were affected by a faulty spot weld to car seat anchors. This is a case of receiving insufficient information and running with it.

Sounds a lot like one of the early recalls on the Maverick, where some of the seat-belts (rear bench) were not attached properly.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-09-20, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Interesting, one of the reviewers (it's a truck reviewer, not a general vehicle reviewer) had it as a long term test drive, and had AT tires (Falken Wildpeak AT3 IIRC) on there for the off road test, and they tried all the drive modes. That was last fall when I was trying to decide which one to go for, so I don't remember much of the details. I have no idea what a good off-road tire is, the most I go off pavement is into campgrounds, or the odd maintained logging road, and never had issues with normal tires. Looks like you've done your due diligence though.
I've got Falkden Wildpeak AT's on my car, they're fantastic.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-11-23, 06:12

FINALLY. I get to take home my truck Saturday. It showed up yesterday at the dealership. Already got the paperwork done. Just have to wait for the accessories to be installed and it to be inspected and I'm good to go.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-11-23, 08:22

Wow. I look forward to hearing all about it!

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-11-23, 08:27

Only took a year and a half to get it
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-11-23, 08:54

So is your one of the ones that had a bunch of features removed to be added later? Was that just lower trim Silverados?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-11-23, 10:45

Share some pictures of it. I mean, I'm pretty sure I bashed the look of those truck and their huge grill, but I am genuinely happy for you getting what you want and are happy with!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-11-23, 13:26

https://share.icloud.com/photos/01aS...tSvghAH2FByKXA

https://share.icloud.com/photos/08df...T4chwLnmh2l8Sg
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-11-23, 13:28

Not sure if those links work.

That’s what the delay was. They didn’t have things and then they got them all back. The only feature I lost was SuperCruise.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-11-23, 13:43

Nice. Those links do work. I was able to see that grill.

Are you going to be able to get SuperCruise later for a monthly fee or is it just gone?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-11-23, 13:50

No they totally removed it. It was only on like the first 1100 trucks ordered and I just missed out.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-11-23, 13:51

Well that sucks. At least you still have heated seats and steering wheel though!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-11-23, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Well that sucks. At least you still have heated seats and steering wheel though!
And 16 way massage seats….mmmm
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-11-23, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
And 16 way massage seats….mmmm

You need SuperCruise with that kind of treatment. I'd be sleeping a lot with that going on.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-11-23, 23:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post

You need SuperCruise with that kind of treatment. I'd be sleeping a lot with that going on.
I remember reading an article on Ars within the last month that SuperCruise users were the most likely to admit to not paying attention while driving. Thing was, SuperCruise isn't even the best advanced cruse control system, by any means.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-11-24, 06:50

Hard to really say since no one has it. I think a couple Cadillacs might, very some amount of the trucks I just got have it, that’s about it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-11-24, 08:13

Does it really have massage seats??

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-11-24, 08:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Hard to really say since no one has it. I think a couple Cadillacs might, very some amount of the trucks I just got have it, that’s about it.
Yes the survey dealt with Cadillac owners primarily in terms of SuperCruse. The survey included over 1000 owners, if I recall correctly..

It also covered Teslas, and other manufacturers, including Nissan. Ford Blue Cruse was not included, not many out there.

IMO until these systems are better tested they should be banned from personal use.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-11-24, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Does it really have massage seats??

It’s not a new thing. Many high end vehicles have that feature, even going back to the 1990s.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-11-25, 09:43

Without giving up too much of my background, my reading on vehicle automation and driver assist feature suggests that by and large manufacturers are on the right track here, and the regulatory regimes seem to be stewarding them along a reasonable path towards (potentially full) automation. Roads are generally safer as a result of such technologies which have proved useful at reducing collision and injury as a result of certain driver errors (like following too close, speeding, and late reaction/braking, as well as certain driver inattention like failing to check before changing lane/directions/reversing.)

On the other hand, certain driver interfaces need a lot of work where they promote distraction, especially non-haptic touch interfaces and trip information systems that are prone to taking drivers' eyes off the road for too long as compared to simple push buttons and knobs. They're probably better off putting all this stuff on voice control vs touch screens.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-11-25, 10:20

Watching a channel on YouTube dedicated to Tesla vehicle events, I think you get a better feel for how good the so called self driving is. When it works, highways with open roads, it works well. Outside of that, it’s a mixed bag. You see FSD Teslas crashing into barriers, other cars, swerving into other vehicles. It’s just not there yet, that’s why it’s still in beta. With that in mind, and the Tesla by far as the best system, it’s safe to say they have a long way to go.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-02-10, 23:59

Picked up my 20 year old car from the shop today after having a big engine service. I can't do this again though. It's past time to get the next car, and I'm wondering if I can make it to the next model year on some. I'm down to:

2024 Tacoma
I'm really feeling this truck, right now.

"The 2024 Toyota Tacoma is almost certain to be the first truly new Tacoma pickup in nearly 20 years, with not just 2022 Toyota Tundra-inspired styling but also a new platform, new powertrains, and a larger overall package. We believe Toyota will offer up a wider variety of Tacomas than ever before, with a turbocharged I-4, hybridized V-6, and even an electric Tacoma all in the cards."

Honda Civic Hatchback
I've watched plenty of videos at this point, and seen one up close. Not getting a stick, because traffic here makes that an awful choice.

Honda Accord
Nothing spectacular, but it works.

Pedestrian driving machines, all.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-02-11, 14:08

Hybrid Tacoma would be my truck if I didn't like the Maverick as much as I do. Then again, if the Tacoma comes in a 2 door I might have to go for it instead. I would rather the extra cargo space without the extra passenger space.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-02-11, 14:57

Owning a first year of a new model (22 Maverick) my advice is, don't do it. So many recalls, parasitic battery draw, and other stuff. At the very least don't buy any made in the first 6-8 months of production. Better yet, wait for the 2 or 3 MY.

Not saying the Maverick is a bad vehicle, just that it has those first model year issues. I'm sure Toyota will be better with the MY24 Tacoma, but it will also be totally new, and with it new unknown problems. The Tacoma now is well liked because the issues are well known and mostly ironed out of it through time. I suspect Toyota will follow other manufactures and drop the 2 door model. Toyota Canada dropped the 2 door Tacoma in 2021. Even if I never have anyone in the back seat, I still use that as storage space for stuff I wouldn't want in the truck bed.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-02-11, 15:13

:.sigh::
We all know the pitfalls of early adoption.