MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!
Page 8 of 25 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-28, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Portal/train terminal might be nicer inside the large cave than on the surface. Thoughts?
Absolutely! Nothing on the surface that isn't natural. The portal is up in a cave but not lined up in Nether. I need to run so if someone puts it up in Nether before I get back the coordinates for the one topside is 857 66 1251.

One thing I did do was put torches inside the red mushrooms. Not sure I like it, we can remove them if people want, it just was a way to add very mild light to the island at night. Not really needed though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-29, 10:49

If you are unable to get the maps to pull up right now, please use this URL instead for the mean time:

http://maps.turtle2472.com

I have made changes to my DNS so this might have broken the current URL.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-05-12, 11:50

For those of you who are wanting to look all over the world, I give you 16000 x 16000 blocks of a map:

http://mc.applenova.com/overview

The finishing sync is in progress so you may need to refresh to see the completed edges later. However, you can see we do have natural mushroom islands, they are all just way out there.

¡Damned!

2012-05-12, 21:18

Very cool T. Thanks for crunching that.

After scouring it a bit I think I may move my temp 'tard tower markers for 13topia over to the western sea. I really wanted it to have no land in sight, and that area is still close enough to town to be OK. Plus, it'll give me a little room for expansion, if I go that route. That is a while off though.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2012-05-25, 23:01

Just an observation here, but it seems like 5 times out of 8 when I try pulling up the map it's in update mode. From what I've gleaned from T it refreshes 4 times per 24 hr cycle. Can we cut that down to 2 per cycle?

I'm not sure what the optimal time would be, but maybe 3 and 3? Late-night and before leaving work? I dunno.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-05-25, 23:29

I'm open to this. Anyone else have an opinion one way or the other? If no one speaks up for it staying every 6 hours then I'll shift to 12.

SpecMode
Wait what

2012-05-26, 00:13

I'm cool with a 12-hour update cycle.
¡Damned!

2012-05-30, 09:16

oooh. I see we have a bullion repository now.

I'm out of town for one more week, and then I plan on making up lost build time with a vengeance.

So it goes.
delphi

2012-05-30, 11:28

Yes. Updating the map twice a day will be fine
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-05-30, 17:00

Quote:
oooh. I see we have a bullion repository now.
That would be mine! I was going to post about it when it's finished. What you see is Fort Knox built as close to real-life as possible based on exterior shots (with an interior inspired by Goldfinger). I still have some work to do on the lobby, need to pave the encircling driveway, and need to put up the fence, but the bulk of the work is done.

Also, I took the liberty of extending the westward skyway and building two off-ramps. I may extend it further…

Quote:
I'm out of town for one more week, and then I plan on making up lost build time with a vengeance.
Good! The server has been a bit of a ghost town lately. I've been on few nights lately digging out the Knox cave, and most of it has been in the quiet.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-05-31, 12:44

I'm hoping to be on a bit more after next week. Between work and all the planning for Pride festivals with work and away from work, I've been swamped.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-05-31, 17:08

Sorry guys... i've been getting home after 9 pm and haven't had weekends free for weeks. this combined with the fact that i need to be up by 6 or 6:30 most days just to get in to work means no time for relaxing let alone minecraft.

it is a good thing that i enjoy doing science as much as i do, otherwise the lack of breaks would make me crack.... who am i kidding? i've already started talking to myself (and sing...)...
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2012-05-31, 20:01

I was doing some IRL minecradting last weekend. had to till and shovel a small 11' sqaure of the yard, damn did that leave me sore. And almost none of it fit in my pockets, even after i took the shovel out.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2012-05-31, 20:37

If only it was as easy IRL as it was in MC...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-05-31, 21:43

LOL!!!

I've been spending most of my MC time working a real garden as well.... and nothing grows as nicely as MC melons.... I hope to heck they don't introduce insects into MC... that would be a major drag.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2012-06-20, 23:55

Once again, T I want to thank you for putting this together.

I do check it a few times a day, and for the first time ever my love sat down next to me and seemed actually interested. I explained what was going on from here to there, tried to explain the "we have other people living here too - they're not real" thing, and did a basic scan of the overhead view.

All was good, until she asked me who was building the huge smiley face. "Huh? The thing out in the ocean?" "No." "Mario? That's Mario" "*glares*. I know, dick. Not that, that."

"Ahhhhh" :

I LOL'd.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2012-06-21, 00:13

I also got a dig... though not quite as funny. Because it was about my thing.

I was all showing off the museum from both angles, and I hear: "Frog"

"wut?" "Frog. Or evil frog. Or lizard." "wherewhat?" "Look at the eyes! The teeth! It looks like it's about to eat your downtown." Oh gods.

ME:

HER:

My god do I hate my girl.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-06-21, 01:32

Sounds like she's a keeper!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-06-21, 07:18

That's gold right there!
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2012-06-21, 10:18

That's fantastic!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-07-06, 18:02

Maps are going to go down for a bit while I do a fresh build. There have been issues with it completing for some reason so I'm going to make it start fresh. This is going to take a bit.

Also I purged any chunk that was 16K or less. There are a bunch of small chunks again and needed to be pruned up. I'd like to do more major pruning just to make the process easier for that matter. I'll try to post an image of the to be cut areas.

¡Damned!

2012-07-06, 18:11

All that shit needed to be pruned anyways for 1.3. Emerald ahoy!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-07-06, 21:07

Nice! You beat me to it, T. I was recently thinking about doing exactly this kind of trim.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-07-06, 21:26

I'll have it done by the end of the weekend. It's one of my many projects I have on my plate. Can I tell you I made my server very angry when I delete the old maps off of them. 350,000 files at about 25k in size wasn't well liked by the node.

Thankfully I know the sysadmins.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-07-06, 21:33

Quote:
All that shit needed to be pruned anyways for 1.3. Emerald ahoy!
FWIW, when 1.3 lands, the landscape will be alien beyond the existing perimeters, just like it would have been after the previous world-changing releases.

Should make for some interesting adventuring…

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-07-06, 22:07

Haven't seen it mentioned here yet, so here you go - there is now an official release date for 1.3: August 1st. There'll be a release candidate the week before, so everyone can try out the new bugs a few days early.

Also, DAMMIT:

Quote:
A couple of problems and expected features have been pushed to Minecraft 1.4. The most notable problem is the lighting issues causing black regions in the terrain. We’re looking into ways to solve this, but lighting is a very expensive calculation and we are struggling with finding a solution that doesn’t hurt framerate.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2012-07-06, 22:08

wait, we have to start over again?
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-07-06, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
I think the plan is to make chunks outside the developed area go away, so that we get the new resources and such in the wilderness beyond.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2012-07-06, 22:17

right, but the two worlds wont exactly play nice together, right? as in giant cliffs everywhere?
¡Damned!

2012-07-06, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
No, just that the stray chunks that are pruned will regen with emerald (in the hilly areas) and all new loot (as long as nobody goes out there beforehand).

I'm kind've done with Notch, Jeb, et al when it comes to a reboot. Next time that "needs" to happen I'm out for good. I'll be in for Drew's "New World" party, but I've invested way too much to start over again x5...

I'd rather just build a SMP world and invite you all over. Though, I'd miss you all immensely.

So it goes.