Intel iBook in Jan...?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Intel iBook in Jan...?
Page 4 of 14 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-12-05, 17:18

Ok, well its a case of wrong use of terms then, my bad.
P0W3RMAC

2005-12-05, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I really don't see how the iBooks could go to Intel, but not the PowerBooks.

Unless, of course, they crippled (and hey, it's Apple, so it's a possibility) the new Intel iBook to such a degree that it's barely a step up from today's G4 iBook (which is ALREADY nipping at the heels of the ceiling-hitting PowerBook).

I just couldn't imagine $999-1299 1.8GHz iBooks (not to mention dual-core or other snazzy features) without the PowerBooks getting simultaneous attention, to knock them a bit further up the ladder too.

Such an unpredictable, tough thing to figure out. And the PowerBook being updated so recently only makes it more so (because it's tough to imagine Apple revving them again after only 2-3 months).

But it's not impossible, I guess.

I just don't see how they can have their cheaper, consumer stuff outperforming their expensive, pro-focused laptops.

Maybe MWSF is more about this Mac mini and that rumored Front Row/media center stuff, new iTMS video content and new iLife and iWork packages.

And the new laptops appear - simultaneously, so there's no "leapfrogging" issues - at a special event in March-May?

That's what I'm leaning toward, at this point. Otherwise you're gonna pretty much have to have a three-prong hardware show at MWSF...and that's just never done (PowerBook, iBook AND Mac mini). All that, talking up Intel, plus all the software, iPod status/marketshare gloating, reps from Sony, Microsoft coming on stage, etc., it would be a 3-4 hour keynote!

To add more to this discussion go to this website Click.

Personally, I think pscates is right on the money w/ his prediction (don't forget the shuffles). I'm sure that Jobs will say that the x86 transition is going great.

It's just that current Tiger builds for the x86 are WAAY to easy for people to crack and from what I tested out on a friends computer, its pretty painless to do and is somewhat stable. The problem is that the x86 version has very spotty performance from what I saw. One minute its okay the next minute its crashing.

Rosetta however is pretty snappy but too many apps that require it won't open!

Best case scenario: They announce the iBooks to ship in March.

After reading every possible rumor, I'm deciding to buy the iBook tomorrow. These rumors are all over the place and if anyone is in the same situation, just get the iBook. You'll thank me when X-mas comes.

[PM]
jon999

2005-12-06, 10:07

Best case scenario: They announce the iBooks to ship in March.

After reading every possible rumor, I'm deciding to buy the iBook tomorrow. These rumors are all over the place and if anyone is in the same situation, just get the iBook. You'll thank me when X-mas comes.

[PM]

There's no way you know that the best case scenario is that the new ibooks will ship in March in fact it is highly likely they will be available in January, to buy an old g4 ibook now (or even a mini mac) seems like madness to me knowing what is coming around the corner. And I doubt many people would thank you when there ancient underpowered g4 ibooks get quickly outdated, if you really want a G4 i'm sure the prices will drop pretty quickly secondhand next month.
cheers
jon
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-12-06, 10:44

I have to agree with jon here. Buying a Mac mini or an iBook at this point - a month left until MWSF, when EVERY sign in the universe is pointing for those two getting outfitted with new, speedy guts and packing some new design and/or features - is lunacy!

Well, not "lunacy (I realize everyone has their reasons, schedules, needs, etc.).

But still...I wouldn't be spending money on a G4-based product any time soon, that's for sure! It's probably gonna look very underpowered and weak, compared to any Intel-based offering announced in 33 days...

Unless you're either a) in a position to not care about such things or b) truly needing a computer RIGHT NOW, buying stuff a month before MWSF (especially an iBook or Mac mini, when you take into account all the credible rumors circulating around from reliable sources) isn't something that strikes me as particularly savvy...because Jon is right: prices on the G4-based iBook will probably drop quite nicely, and be available through the red tag section of Apple's online store.

I'd wait...because even if you weren't impressed by the Intel iBook (unlikely), you'll be able to save a couple hundred bucks on a G4 iBook once they're officially discontinued and go to the "BLOWOUT!" section at Apple's site, as well as other vendors. That always happens...the current models don't mysteriously disappear into thin air the day the new stuff is announced!

Just makes sense, assuming neither "a" or "b" above apply to you...(and they probably don't, for most people). I rarely meet anyone happy they bought something at the tail-end of its cycle, or who really NEEDED a computer this exact instant, and couldn't wait a few weeks.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-12-06, 17:11

I gotta go with Pscates here.

Hell, I hesitated before buying my lovely iMac at the beginning of November. It was just updated, and there's virtually no chance the iMac G5 will go Intel first. But even though the iMac won't get upgraded, there's still a chance that something entirely new will be announced that I would like even better (*cough* Cube Redux).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
runner91786

2005-12-07, 01:06

I am in limbo now of buying a powerbook, iMac 20", or if its released a cube. I currently have a 12" ibook cuz i was waiting for the powerbooks to get updated and I KNOW this is off topic, but I dont think Intel iBooks will be first. I think the powerbook will. Anyone have a suggestion as far as powerbook + cube + display or powerbook + iMac? Anyone actually think the iMac will be updated? I really don't think the iMac or iBook have a chance against the long awaited Powerbook and Mac Mini revisions though.
iDaver

2005-12-07, 01:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner91786
...I really don't think the iMac or iBook have a chance against the long awaited Powerbook and Mac Mini revisions though.
I've no idea what will come first but expect the iBook and mini will be updated at approximately the same time since they'll probably have similar specs like now, when updated. I'm doubtful about it happening in January.

Others have speculated elsewhere that the iMac can wait a while for an Intel processor since it has a G5 and pretty good specs as it is. I'd go along with that.

The PowerBook needs a processor upgrade the most but I don't really think Intel has what Apple wants for it yet.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-12-07, 01:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner91786
Anyone actually think the iMac will be updated? I really don't think the iMac or iBook have a chance against the long awaited Powerbook and Mac Mini revisions though.
Seeing as the iMac (56 days ago) and PowerBook (49 days ago) have both been updated recently, no, I don't see an update to them happening at MWSF. An enhancement, perhaps (i.e. a new model, such as a 23-inch iMac).

The iBook, however, is currently the oldest Mac (if you don't count the eMac), at 134 days of age. An update at MWSF is quite likely; otherwise, it will almost positively happen somewhere in January or February.

The Mac mini is sort of a strange case. As of this point, its secret semi-revision still hasn't been made official. It's hard to speculate why this is, but it seems safe to assume that they will remedy this at MWSF (quite obviously, they are not going to do that in this month, although maybe in early January -- think this year's pre-January Xserve update).

Speaking of the Xserve, whatever happened to that? Why does it not come with Dual-Core CPUs? Why does it max out at 2.3 GHz? Yes, off-topic. I know.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-12-07, 05:17

More rumours, and what to believe???

linky..
Dave Hagan

2005-12-07, 06:12

well I don't believe that rumor for a second. Digitimes is really spotty.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-12-07, 06:24

Well yes... But it seems that both the Register and Digitimes are hedging their bets and saying nothing.. On the one hand Jan, on the other June!

I am just glad I have another year to go before my traditional upgrade path comes due again... For now my Dual G5 is still more than enough for most of my needs..

Just wish Photoshop had some idea that it had more than about 2bytes of Ram to operate in!!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-12-07, 22:36

I do hope the iBook (and PowerBook) BOTH get built-in iSights...and that Apple also does two things:

1. Make a PC-friendly iSight, just the way they make a "universal" iPod.

2. Make said new iSight affordable (ie, $99 or so)

All the talk, so far, has been about PowerBooks getting this feature. But iBooks - with such a strong target market as college students, far from home - it's a no-brainer that the iBook gets it too.

This is such an under-promoted feature, and I'm going to be faced with a couple of situations next year where a very dear friend is going to be in San Diego and then Washington DC for much of 2006, starting in about May.

She's on a Mac, so it's cool.

But still...lots of my other friends and family aren't, and that's a great way to truly stay close and connected. Phone calls and e-mails are good to a point, but sometimes you just want to see the person you're missing.

I really hope this becomes a standard feature on all Macs, AND that Apple realizes most folks out there aren't on Macs and just provides an easier way for people to do the whole iChat/iSight thing, regardless of platform.

I think they should offer bundle kits, where one iSight might be $99 or so...BUT, if you buy two, it's a significant savings. Friends can agree to go in half, and these could really start getting out there into the world.

But the first step is making them a standard feature on iBooks and any other new Macs coming in 2006.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-12-08, 02:00

Good point about iSight for the ibook. I mean, it is just another reason for a student to get an ibook. I know that I would love to have something like that if I was living away from home, phone calls just aren't the same as a face to face chat.
Kit Fisto

2005-12-09, 09:29

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=57
http://www.theinquirer.org/?article=28235

The ZDnet article says,

"Now I'm hearing that FireWire is gone completely from the new Intel iBooks that are coming next month, but its loss should come as a surprise to no one, given Apple's moves of late. A little birdy told me that the new Intel PowerBooks will lose FireWire 400 completely and retain only one FireWire 800 port as a concession to video professionals."
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-09, 09:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0W3RMAC
The problem is that the x86 version has very spotty performance from what I saw. One minute its okay the next minute its crashing.
That just can't be because it's running on unsupported hardware with hacked software. Noooo...
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2005-12-09, 09:43

My problem is not so much the Intel iBook, but the Intel Mini.
I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the current iMac but would rather go headless (i.e. Mini and separate monitor).

I'm not up on the Intel processors...would this Yonah/Mercom (?) be a major step up from the current G4's?
Would an Intel Mini to be equivalent in horsepower to say the current iMacs?
iDaver

2005-12-09, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Fisto
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=57
http://www.theinquirer.org/?article=28235

The ZDnet article says,

"Now I'm hearing that FireWire is gone completely from the new Intel iBooks that are coming next month, but its loss should come as a surprise to no one, given Apple's moves of late.
This would be a major bummer for the millions of people who have bought Firewire storage/backup devices. One more reason to wait several years before buying some crap Intel Mac. Would Apple really expect you to have to upgrade not only your software, but your external hardware as well?
Anthem

2005-12-09, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo
I'm not up on the Intel processors...would this Yonah/Mercom (?) be a major step up from the current G4's?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo
Would an Intel Mini to be equivalent in horsepower to say the current iMacs?
In pure CPU power? Probably close enough that you won't be able to tell the difference.

The graphics card is the issue.
Anthem

2005-12-09, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDaver
This would be a major bummer for the millions of people who have bought Firewire storage/backup devices. One more reason to wait several years before buying some crap Intel Mac. Would Apple really expect you to have to upgrade not only your software, but your external hardware as well?
Well, they could always include a PCMCIA slot...

Seriously, they might as well include FireWire, since the biggest expense is the licensing, which they essentially pay to themselves. Still, I'd bet a lot of the folks that buy iBooks wouldn't have a substantial investment in firewire.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-12-09, 14:35

While many iBook owners may not have a bunch of FireWire drives sitting around, aren't most digital camcorders FireWire-based? As well as Apple's own iSight...

I don't believe this "rumor" for one second.

halo1982

2005-12-09, 18:35

I wouldn't be that surprised since the nano and video lack firewire, and you could always used an 800->400 adapter..
rasmits
rams it

2005-12-09, 19:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I don't believe this "rumor" for one second.
Neither do I. How would you use iMovie without a DV camcorder?

Last edited by rasmits : 2005-12-09 at 20:08.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-12-09, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem
Seriously, they might as well include FireWire, since the biggest expense is the licensing, which they essentially pay to themselves.
There is no FireWire licensing fee. There used to be a fee charged by Apple if people wanted to use their logo, but that was a stupid decision and dropped a long time ago.
Anthem

2005-12-09, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
There used to be a fee charged by Apple if people wanted to use their logo, but that was a stupid decision and dropped a long time ago.
Very stupid, as it essentially killed firewire for widespread adoption. Firewire400 was infinitely better than USB1.1.
chucker

2005-12-09, 22:27

Quote:
Very stupid, as it essentially killed firewire for widespread adoption. Firewire400 was infinitely better than USB1.1.
I don't think the two should have competed to begin with. The host/slave concept of USB is great for simple devices like keyboards, mice, webcams, even low-end scanners. The "everything is its own controller" design is great for more complexity as found in external hard drives, video cameras, high-end digital cameras, etc.

It's too bad a lot of computer manufacturers think of them in terms of "either or".
intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-12-09, 22:49

i'd hate if they only put an fw800 on the pbooks since i have 5 firewire devices... (ipod, isight and 3 hds)

i don't see them getting rid of the fw400 simply because many pbook users have isights and it would be crappy to make them use an adapter
Baron Munchausen

2005-12-10, 02:25

Quote:
Firewire 400 is infinitely better than USB2 IMHO - especially from sustained traffic rates and the ability to boot, totally lacking in USB!

It also has a meatier power supply.
iDaver

2005-12-10, 12:25

Firewire target disk mode is useful for a lot of stuff. Is there anything similar with USB?

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple replaces all Firewire 400 ports with Firewire 800 and includes an adapter. To remove Firewire completely from any Mac would be stupidity.
copland

2005-12-12, 03:33

rasmits correct. What are you using iMovie with if you can't connect your firewire camcorder to your Mac?
Apple got the consumer electronics people to accept firewire as a standard for camcorders and will then kill it on their computers (well on the other hand that isn't so "unApple" )
firewire will stay (how many camcorders are out there with firewire? 40Mio+??)

copland
userinterface

2005-12-12, 07:06

Why include firewire on an iBook? It's a student bargin basement computer, and its' about to get cheeper from Apple. If you want to do video editing, surely you can afford the extra $500 for a powerbook. iBooks are up to video editing. My guess is firewire won't be included on the 13 inch ibook, and if there are other models of ibook it will include 1 firewire 800port (which works with firewire400) even though it's a different connector type.