Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Anandtech - Apple Makes the Switch: iMac G5 vs. iMac Core Duo

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anandtech - Apple Makes the Switch: iMac G5 vs. iMac Core Duo
Zebulunite

2006-01-31, 17:32

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2685

Just finished reading it. It's a pretty through review/comparion of the two iMacs. I was surprised (to an extent) at the iMac Core Duo's far lower power usage (then again, it is a mobile chip). As a testiment to the G5, however, it did perform overall better in Anand's tests than the "Core Solo 1.83 Ghz" (i.e. Anand disabling one core).

I guess it's good for Apple/Intel's sake that Apple never released a dual core G5 iMac, or else the only thing going for the Intel iMac would be it's greater performance per watt (but overall having lower performance).
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-01-31, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebulunite
http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2685

Just finished reading it. It's a pretty through review/comparion of the two iMacs. I was surprised (to an extent) at the iMac Core Duo's far lower power usage (then again, it is a mobile chip). As a testiment to the G5, however, it did perform overall better in Anand's tests than the "Core Solo 1.83 Ghz" (i.e. Anand disabling one core).

I guess it's good for Apple/Intel's sake that Apple never released a dual core G5 iMac, or else the only thing going for the Intel iMac would be it's greater performance per watt (but overall having lower performance).
which is exactly why they didn't release one. it's been carefully orchestrated.

i don't think a dual core G5 would have been too hot for an iMac either, obviously the Core Duo is an easier fit thermally, but I think the dual core G5 would have been possible.
Zebulunite

2006-01-31, 19:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses
which is exactly why they didn't release one. it's been carefully orchestrated.

i don't think a dual core G5 would have been too hot for an iMac either, obviously the Core Duo is an easier fit thermally, but I think the dual core G5 would have been possible.
Definitely. Probably the only Mac that they haven't constrained in such a way (in recent times) would be the Powermac G5 (especially the Quad).

I would think that if Apple had not decided upon the Intel switch (or at least had set the switch date further in the future), we would probably see dual-core G4 Powerbooks (and maybe even a G5 Powerbook).
Enki

2006-02-01, 11:19

Yeah, in late 2007, at a whopping 1.8GHz!

Don't look back. MS bought out enough of IBM's production capacity for Xbox 360 that IBM though they could squeeze Apple for the R&D costs of an IBM product, after IBM showed Apple what happens when 970 was no longer the engineering priority. Whither went 3.0GHz? Still not available from IBM almost 3 years late. IBM got a black eye and Apple moved on.

Companies tier product offerings and iMac never was designed to be top of the line performance. Its not constraining performance, its designing to a price target/market.

Last edited by Enki : 2006-02-01 at 16:22.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-02-01, 12:25

Xbox 360 supplies have been constrained by CPU availability issues as well...

Maybe Sony is buying up too much production capacity for thier PS3 chips, causing IBM to push back on MS?
JK47

2006-02-01, 14:13

Maybe IBM's just incompetent