Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Elton John is an idiot.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Elton John is an idiot.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-08-02, 22:34

Saw an post on DF talking about Elton John.

Here's the article.

I'll take out the best quote though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton John the Dumbass
"I do think it would be an incredible experiment to shut down the whole internet for five years and see what sort of art is produced over that span," he said.
Terrible idea. I really don't even know what to think of this suggestion.

Having the internet has allowed people all over the world instant collaboration and has tied everyone a little closer together. I don't know what people would do without that kind of instant communication that we're used to now.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-08-02, 22:44

He's just got his pissy-queen panties on because he confused by this new fangled thing with tubes.

Elton should just get together with Metallica so they can all whine about the good ol' days.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2007-08-02, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
I don't know what people would do without that kind of instant communication that we're used to now.
Uhhh...we got along fine without the internet a little around a decade ago, and, we would easily make do without said instant communication, given the ubiquity of cell phones...so I don't know what all the crying is for. Though, admittedly, I love the internet.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-08-02, 22:52

I loathe Elton John, almost as much as I hate Posh Spice, Ben Asslick, Steve Dickenberg and of course George W.

However, the statement you quote is actually the most intelligent thing I have ever heard him say. And as a purely academic exercise I think the results would be interesting. Think about where you get the bulk of your info now, and the possibility that we are all getting our info from one source mostly these days. It's as bad as all going to the same Malls to shop.. IN the last few years I have found more and more countries are getting more and more similar in terms of products, food, entertainment, etc. etc. Cultural diversity is dieing because of big business and the TV. The internet is another even more decisive nail blow in the social diversity coffin.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-08-02, 22:54

I know we managed more than fine without the internet a little over a decade ago, but imagine it being shut down for five years? That's crazy.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2007-08-02, 22:56

Life would go on as normal...there are more substantive pursuits.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-08-02, 23:02

How could life go on as normal if "normal" life today consists of a whole lot of things on which the internet plays a major part of?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-02, 23:07

Quote:
Elton John is an idiot.
No shit...he's been one for a good 10-15 years now. Welcome to earth.

He's such an unlikable, off-putting little diva.

The bitch is back, indeed.

As for his opinion, he's wrong. He can whine about it all day (and I'm sure he will). But he just sounds like the buggy manufacturer watching all the new shiny cars drive past his factory.

There's plenty wrong with music, and the "music biz". No debate there.

But it's not the fault of the Internet. He should consider directing his pissy opinions toward the record labels, how the game is played, how the industry is one big trend orgy and that "music" is about the last thing that factors in to some of these acts, how acts are signed and if they don't produce six hit singles they're dropped, how meaningless acts are signed, hyped to death and foisted on a public that isn't asking for them, etc.
rasmits
rams it

2007-08-03, 05:22

Why are people putting so much thought into this statement?

drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-08-03, 05:46

Cause they wish they could sing so purty....

I'm personally always prepared for the end of the internets. I've factored in a solid six weeks of reaching for the computer as communications device. After that, I'll be solidly back into other endeavors.... like sending in letters to magazines about articles I've seen "Dear editor, where might I find out more about this interesting thing of which you have written?".

I'll write more letters in general and finish these (imaginary) book deals much faster.

What will YOU do with all your new found time??

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-08-03, 06:24

We have the largest collection of information in human history. Let's not use it, and see if that makes our art bettar!!!1

Such a statement reeks of old-fashioned-ness. The internets can't possibly be beneficial to art, now could they?

Personally, I don't think I could write without Wikipedia. And I've tried.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-08-03, 06:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
Why are people putting so much thought into this statement?

My thoughts too.

Ahrgh! I've put thoughts into it! How do I get them back?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-08-03, 11:44

Yes, Elton John is an idiot.

For a number of reasons.

NEXT!
dfiler
Veteran Member

2007-08-03, 13:25

Seems like a bit of the telephone game here.

Nowhere did I actually see him quoted as actually saying we should shut down the internet. It seems more like he is merely addressing negative aspects of internet usage, not trying to assert that the internet has a net negative effect. Then some techno weenies get their panties in a wad because they think he actually wants to shut it down. Meanwhile, he was probably just ponder something more along the lines of "wouldn't it be interesting?"

Then again, he's likely still an idiot. By our standards, isn't everyone. And anyway, his clothing is annoying.