User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

NEW CPU SPEED utility for G5 & portables

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
NEW CPU SPEED utility for G5 & portables
tom p

2005-04-20, 19:29

I posted in a previous thread im the iMac section about having someone design a CPU speed program that lets you adjust CPU speed from the upper tool bar by the clock. Marcel Bresink wrote a great utility program, here it is. http://www.bresink.com/osx/CPUSpeedMenu.html
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-20, 19:33

I think it's funny that he's charging €5 shareware for a program that probably took less than an hour to write. Most teeny-tiny utilities like these are freeware.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-20, 19:36

Agreed. Although I might use the word "sad" rather than "funny".
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-20, 20:43

Yeah. There is a lot of good shareware that's worth paying money for, like ShapeShifter and Transmit and Graphic Converter and EV Nova, where the developers clearly put a lot of time into developing it and deserve to be paid. This is something that anyone with any programming experience in OS X could probably whip up in fifteen minutes. Assuming it took him 15 minutes to make, and one person pays the registration fee, that means he got paid 20 euros an hour for it.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-04-20, 22:13

Also pretty pointless for laptops since tiger lets you choose several different profiles from the battery setting.
tom p

2005-04-20, 22:50

Can you change the different setting with a quick click in the upper tool bar or do you have to open a couple windows to do it?
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-04-21, 04:46

Errm, why not just use automatic?
autodata
hustlin

2005-04-21, 09:00

Someone at AI wrote one of these quickly and posted it after someone requesting it, and I've been using it on my powerbook for a year or more.

here's the thread from AI and the links to the actual tool are at the bottom.

Last edited by autodata : 2005-04-21 at 09:06.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-04-21, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Errm, why not just use automatic?
A lot of the time (need to conserve battery or it's too hot to have a computer warming to 14x degrees) you don't want it to get any hotter then it's lowest setting

I almost never use automatic, I try not to do anything too intensive while I'm away from an outlet, and while I am plugged in, I want full power. It'll do something slow/choppy before it has time to scale up.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-21, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
Someone at AI wrote one of these quickly and posted it after someone requesting it, and I've been using it on my powerbook for a year or more.

here's the thread from AI and the links to the actual tool are at the bottom.
PWNED!!!
tom p

2005-04-21, 15:38

"Auto" on my iMac G5 20 inch with 1GB ram gets an "80" on Xbench for CPU only rating. On "Highest" I get "171". 83 is what my 800 mhz Flat Panel G4 iMac rated on XBench. I click back and forth with ease now. I don't want the heat that highest puts out, so I don't leave it on highest like some do. The inside of this thing is like an easy bake oven if left on high, it's bad enough on auto setting. Reduced setting is not that much different then auto for heat and performance. It's a non factor.