AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Rise of Skywalker *Spoilers*

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Rise of Skywalker *Spoilers*
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-01-26, 23:35

The sequel trilogy has given me a new appreciation for the prequel trilogy.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-27, 00:22

Yeah, I'm right there with ya!
Dr. Bobsky

2020-01-27, 03:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Simply referencing a religious text within a discussion about an entirely different topic isn't proselytization, but I am sorry if it triggered you.
I am so sorry you feel like you have the potential to trigger anyone.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-27, 11:20

If you guys need a thread to debate this, I'll snip it off and move it over. Otherwise, this is a Star Wars thread. Please remember that.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2020-01-28, 15:50

Just popping in to say that I haven't seen TRoS and I don't plan to until it's available as a cheap rental.

Not even bothering to avoid spoilers. Doesn't sound like there's much to spoil anyway. Something about the Emperor being resurrected? Yawn.

I was a massive Star Wars fan growing up, I must have watched the original trilogy on VHS 100 times. Was massively pumped for Episode I, and yeah I was one of those people who went to see another movie just to see the trailer.

I haven't missed a Star Wars movie yet, but the only ones I've watched more than once are the originals. The only time I saw Episode II was a pirated 360p copy that I watched on an iBook on my parents' kitchen table, but I still watched it.

For people who are/used to be into both, how does recent Star Wars compare to the Marvel saga? I watched 2 or 3 Marvel movies and never liked them, but they seem to be massively popular. The sequel trilogy, though, doesn't seem to enjoy nearly as much love from fans or critics.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-01-28, 16:01

I think towards the end, Marvel fans figured they had invested ten years into the current series, and saw it through.

The Marvel stories were deeply connected throughout, which is where The Last Jedi completely derailed a billion-dollar money-making franchise.
And no-one is being held accountable for that.

Endgame had its own story issues (time travel doesn't work like that) but overall they didn't disrespect the audience, so I think fans left pretty happy.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-28, 16:01

The Marvel stuff has gone too far into "Destroy New York/Chicago/Whatever" because "destroy a big city" is what Hollywood thinks people want to see. It's gotten too busy and hard to follow—kind of like the Transformers movies. Ironman was awesome, and it's all been downhill since then.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-01-28, 19:12

I tired of the Marvel stuff pretty quick, although I enjoyed the first Iron Man movie (damn near perfect "comic book" movie/origin story, almost as enjoyable as Batman Begins) and I love all the Captain America entries. That's the only character I really liked, just because he was so good/virtuous, a man out of his time. None of that tortured, grey-area "woe is me...I've got all these powers and life sucks" nonsense that seems to mark every other superhero in recent years/decades. I guess I'm old-fashioned, but I don't want to see superheroes all emo and conflicted. That's so clichéd at this point anyway.

But other than that, I couldn't care less about any of the others or other movies (and I saw 'em all). Fact is, you saw one Marvel flick, you pretty much saw them all (the stuntwork, three-point landings, the humor/tone, the bombast and unhinged destruction and huge scale of everything, the shaky attempts at actual drama or tear-jerking, etc.).

I checked out, mentally/emotionally/damn-giving after about 2011-2012.

Having said all that, I'd sit through the worst Marvel movies five times before I'll ever watch one of these stupid-ass SW sequel trilogy movies again. But I guess most here have figured that out. It did feel like there was a cohesive, for the most part, feel and a building to something amongst the Marvel movies, despite different directors, characters, timelines, etc. that were involved. I think there was indeed a big, sprawling master plan (and it showed). I can respect that, just from a storytelling/logistical perspective. It was quite impressive, what Marvel pulled off from 2011-2019! I can't deny that. Poor DC/WB has been trying to play catchup/"us too!" for years, and it's just pathetic because you can tell, like Star Wars, they're just winging it and making each new installment a response to how the previous one was received by viewers. That's lame, gutless moviemaking, IMO.

It was as good at that as the SW sequels were bad...there's zero throughput from TFA, TLJ and TROS. If I didn't know the story/lore and went into SW totally cold, other than a handful of characters, you could never convince me that these three movies from 2015-2019 were three installments of the same overall story/arc.

So, yeah...Marvel excelled at the things - a couple of big ones, in fact - that SW sucked at. For the most part, they exhibited more of a cohesive arc and connection to one another over 11 years (and about 300 movies ) than SW did over four years/three movies.

Think about that!

Quite an accomplishment for the former, quite damning for the latter.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-28, 19:38

Yep. That's the one thing that I can give to the Marvel thing: Continuity. They had it because there was a master plan in place. SW lacked it because there was not. Two decent stand-alone films sandwiched around vomit filling. Mmmmm …

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-22, 14:05

Alleged upcoming alleged SW movie set on Exogol, allegedly.

In other words, We Didn't Explain Anything in TRoS Worth a Shit About What Was Going On There (and Why), So We're Going to Make a Whole Separate Movie to Try and Provide Some Needed Info/Context.

I can't wait to not see this! In fact, I'm going to camp out in line a week early, just to not buy a ticket when they go on sale. When the box office opens, I'll pack up my little tent and Coleman stove and head home.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-02-22, 18:17

Wow. That's insane.

If they go through with this, they're going to have to 'Rogue One' the heroes again, to clear a path for Rey to face off with the Emperor.

Maybe it's a whole movie about Luke looking for the planet, and not finding it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-22, 19:27

Who in the world knows. At this point, I honestly wouldn't put anything past these goofs. If they'll play so fast and loose with 3-4 decades' worth of established lore, characters, etc., I can only imagine the dope-addled, point-missing lunacy they might attempt with a single, standalone project. But I'm sure someone's going to be conveniently related to someone else, etc.

It could be their toe-in-the-water project, just to try and gauge how much (or how little) the general public cares about the property at this point. It might be a one-room murder mystery with no effects and a cast of unknowns. Hire some folks from the theater program at the local community college, throw some robes on them and tell them to try and not look embarrassed.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-02-23, 05:48

Buncha crybabies.

EVERYBODY knows that Star Wars is about fixing stuff. It's how the series works.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-23, 10:29

It is now.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-02-23 at 11:03.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-02, 12:34

He was a clone.

Awesome...I love understanding stuff in a movie 2-3 months after the fact! All the best movies do this. You had to learn the ending of Casablanca by sending in your Ovaltine proof-of-purchase coupons to receive a special comic book. Dog Day Afternoon partnered with Pop-Tarts and Six Flags on a "pick your own" novelization with three possible outcomes. And Raiders of the Lost Ark was fully explained in a video game, five months later. Oh, wait...

"Why put it on the screen when you can simply annoy and confuse viewers instead? They actually appreciate the mystery and frustration, even if they don't realize it. I've made a career out of this shit, and I still get hired, so I'm obviously doing something right!" - J.J. Abrams

From the above article:

Quote:
Following the release of “The Rise of Skywalker” in December, HuffPost spoke with “Episode IX” editor Maryann Brandon, who said that originally the film had more information about Palpatine’s background and what was keeping him alive, but it was later cut.

“There was so much information in the film and so many characters that we wanted to have an audience concentrate on. I think we felt we didn’t want to clutter the film up with things you didn’t need to know,” she said.

Yes, that Keri Russell character, the Knights of Ren and that chick on horseback really brought so much to the proceedings. Focusing on them, vs. explaining THE ONE THING everyone was truly curious about/interested in, was an awesome editing/storytelling decision.

There were no rational, clue-having adults in charge of this thing. Confirmed.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-02, 13:02

Quote:
With so many unanswered “Rise of Skywalker” questions still lingering around, we can probably expect a few more revelations coming from the book, which is officially out March 17. As a possible alternative novel title, we’d suggest “The Emperor’s New Clones.”

This whole fiasco lends itself to the lack of any direction at the very beginning of the trilogy. Now, Disney/LucasFilm have to spend untold resources trying to sweep all the crap under the rug. But, I guarantee they'll sell a lot of clarification kits.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-02, 14:19

It's just weird that they thought the reason(s) behind the Emperor's return/resurrection warranted less time and attention than a bunch of characters who've had zero impact on the saga. Did they truly believe audiences had more interest in them than the bigger questions? They apparently filmed all the Palpatine question-answering stuff, yet still saw fit to toss it in favor of Ms. Russell and the others. Those characters provided nothing. If they - Keri, Knights, horse girl - were all edited out, the movie doesn't change one bit, big picture.

Thing is, you can only lay part of this at Abrams' feet. People above him, far more powerful and with more control, signed off on/greenlit all this stuff ("Sounds good, J.J...we love it, go with it!"). That's the crazy part! It took a lot of people - educated, industry-savvy, successful people - being really stupid to create this silliness. A joint effort, where everyone's brains fell out of their heads for 6-9 months.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-02, 14:29

It can all be summarized in two words:

1) Check

2) Boxes

Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-03-04, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
They apparently filmed all the Palpatine question-answering stuff, yet still saw fit to toss it in favor of Ms. Russell and the others.
Special Edition Blu-Ray.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-04, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Special Edition Blu-Ray.
Is CGI Jaba in that one?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-05, 10:23

They’re still working on the script/plot for a movie that was released two-and-a-half months ago. Neat!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-23, 20:16

Ok I finally watched this. I tried to read through this thread but man there are a lot of words and I have no attention span right now.

I don't think this was the worst movie I've seen but it was near the bottom of that list. It was contrived and predicable generally speaking. I avoided spoilers (as did my family) but as we watched it I kept calling what was going to happen before it did. I'm not that good at this in general.

The one thing I didn't expect was Rey being a Palpatine. I should have with hindsight, but I didn't guess that one. Everything else was so easy to see happening before it happen. Almost like I had seen this movie before...

I appreciated it for entertainment, but that is about it. Will I watch it again... maybe if I kids watch it and I end up in the same room with them. I just won't tell them to be quiet this time.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-24, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Everything else was so easy to see happening before it happen. Almost like I had seen this movie before...
You have. It was called Return of the Jedi and it came out in 1983, when this property still made a bit of sense, seemed to have a coherent, satisfying arc and a legitimate reason to exist.