Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

I'm disappointed.....

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I'm disappointed.....
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-02-28, 17:26

...No this isn't about the Hi Fi or the mini, but they both made me realize something...I'll never be satisfied...Technological satisfied that is.

Lets go over what I have:

*Powermac G4 (400Mhz; $500)
*iBook (900Mhz; $1199; Broken)
*iPod shuffle (1GB; $150)
*Palm Lifedrive ($420)

I'm pretty happy with everything I have, yet I feel empty everytime a event happens. All those rumors of an new iBook, and new iPod, a new PDA, it all grabs at my desires. It's like "I can get that, but do I really need it?"....And then the event happens and I'm tempted to hit the "buy now" button, but then other thing pop up like, what if another product even better comes out soon? Should I wait.

So I hold off a little bit. Luckly this feeling goes away over a couple of weeks after the event, and I go back to normal and if I really want it I'll get it...Well unless the next event is coming up.

But no more, I'm going to get my iBook fix and screw whatever Macbook comes out soon.

Anyone else feel like their tech heart will always have a hole that needs to be filled?

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-02-28, 17:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
...what if another product even better comes out soon? Should I wait.

So I hold off a little bit. Luckly this feeling goes away over a couple of weeks after the event, and I go back to normal and if I really want it I'll get it...Well unless the next event is coming up.

But no more, I'm going to get my iBook fix and screw whatever Macbook comes out soon.

Anyone else feel like their tech heart will always have a hole that needs to be filled?
Yes.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-02-28, 17:46

Quote:
No, not anymore. I used to feel that way until I realized that what I really value about technology is what it does for me, not what it is. I used to spend night after night tweaking my Linux system, installing stuff, trying out different software - but I never did anything useful with my computer. Now I feel like I've grown up and actually do useful stuff, while at the same time knowing my tools very well. But the computer/technology stuff is no longer my main focus. And I'm a computer guy too (I'm a professor in a CS department), but I realized that computers are a means, not an end - even for me.

A friend of mine summed up a similar feeling very nicely many years ago after he had graduated from his CS studies. He simply said, "I hate computers". That kind of put all the geeking into perspective. A very healthy development, IMHO.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-02-28, 21:42

Quote:
...No this isn't about the Hi Fi or the mini, but they both made me realize something...I'll never be satisfied...Technological satisfied that is.

Lets go over what I have:

*Powermac G4 (400Mhz; $500)
*iBook (900Mhz; $1199; Broken)
*iPod shuffle (1GB; $150)
*Palm Lifedrive ($420)

I'm pretty happy with everything I have, yet I feel empty everytime a event happens. All those rumors of an new iBook, and new iPod, a new PDA, it all grabs at my desires. It's like "I can get that, but do I really need it?"....And then the event happens and I'm tempted to hit the "buy now" button, but then other thing pop up like, what if another product even better comes out soon? Should I wait.

I often feel the same after events, but more so before when everyone is talking about what could be coming. This time around wasn't too bad, since after I saw the specs my desire to get an intel Mac Mini to replace my aging G4 went down the tube. Now I will just sit back and wait till my ibook is vintage (cannot upgrade the OS anymore) and then buy a Macbook Pro (or Macbook/ibook if its good enough for what I need). No I don't feel like I need a new Mac after today, not as badly as my parents and sister who still have 500Mhz G3s anyway.
Kyros

2006-03-01, 16:55

Right now I really want a clamshell iBook (because they look cool) and a Pismo (2 high cap batteries = long battery life, according to Apple's estimates it should be 15 hrs, but I'm thinking closer to 12-13 hours). However, I can't really justify either since I have a 12" 1.5ghz G4 powerbook.