User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Two finger right-click on a 15" MBP

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Two finger right-click on a 15" MBP
Joolz34

2006-05-23, 06:47

(Mods if Ive posted this in the wrong place would you move it please? I wasnt sure where exactly to put it - Thanks)

I just found via Digg, that a couple of guys on the osx86project page have made a working/driver installer to enable this functionality for Macbook Pros (15").

Heres a link to the thread and the installer is towards the bottom of the page.

http://forum.osx86project.org/index....ic=17685&st=20

Regards,

Andrew
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-05-23, 08:00

Thanks for the link. I'll be using this when the MBP gets here.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-23, 08:08

For the record, it works for me.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-05-24, 04:59

Uh?

So what is one supposed to do with that MachineSettings.framework folder thing?

Can it make something go awry?

I'd really like this feature on my MBP, but I don't feel like experimentng with stuff I know nothing about.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-24, 07:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge
Uh?

So what is one supposed to do with that MachineSettings.framework folder thing?

Can it make something go awry?

I'd really like this feature on my MBP, but I don't feel like experimentng with stuff I know nothing about.
Just use the Installer instead. It includes an uninstaller as well, which you should apply before installing 10.4.7, when that comes out.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-05-24, 07:28

Thanks chucker!

I'll make a note on uninstalling it once it's time to go 10.4.7.

Oddly, the danish wording in system settings calls this feature "two-finger double-click"
chucker

2006-05-24, 07:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge
I'll make a note on uninstalling it once it's time to go 10.4.7.
It's mostly a safety measure. There's a chance that A) Apple will want to roll out this feature themselves (for the 15-inch MBP) in 10.4.7, or B) Apple otherwise changes the affected kernel extensions, preference pane and private framework. In either case, it could lead to disastrous results if Apple's updater replaces some of the stuff in this hack, but not all.

As for the MachineConfiguration.framework thing: if you had downloaded that in conjunction with the preference pane link and the kernel extension links on page 1 in the same forum thread, you could have accomplished the same effect as without the installer. You would have, however, wanted to do backups of your own. Also, the preference pane linked there is English-only rather than multilingual. So I recommend the Installer instead.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-05-24, 07:55

I did a SuperDuper! before running the uninstaller.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-24, 08:30

What about other machines with two finger scrolling? I don't want people to forget about loyal PowerBook users!
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-05-24, 08:33

Yeah, my 12" powerbook feels left out.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-05-24, 08:39

Can't you just use iScroll2?
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-05-24, 08:41

My powerbook already has 2 finger scrolling though.

I want the left clicker 2 thingy.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-05-24, 08:46

When I was using iScroll2 on my old iBook it also featured two-finger clicking.

But I have no idea how iScroll2 works on a Mac that already has two-finger scrolling. I was merely making a suggestion.

Why don't you try it out and report the results here?

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-24, 09:07

From the description on VersionTracker:

Quote:
Please note that this is not just the driver for the 2005 models hacked to run older models - the new models use a completely different trackpad and driver. iScroll2 is based on Apple's AppleADBMouse-209.0.10 driver for the trackpads found on older models, which is available as part of the publicly released Darwin source code (and covered by the APSL). The code added for supporting two-finger scrolling was written from scratch.
I don't think it'll work.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2006-05-24, 11:28

Is there any limitation of the PowerBook trackpads (the ones that can do two-finger-scrolling) that would preclude them from being able to do two-finger-right-clicking like MBs and MBPs?

Ugh.
chucker

2006-05-24, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug
Is there any limitation of the PowerBook trackpads (the ones that can do two-finger-scrolling) that would preclude them from being able to do two-finger-right-clicking like MBs and MBPs?
No.
Joolz34

2006-05-24, 14:25

Theres always this for powerbooks but its not free though Its called sidetrack and it works with the newer powerbooks.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20854
Joolz34

2006-05-24, 14:27

Btw I saw a thread on the apple discussions that said the next build includes this feature for 15" MBP's too. One guy also stated that he was inside the Tardis (5th ave) and the 15" mbps there already have it...
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2006-05-24, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
No.
Well then, if 10.4.7 doesn't enable this feature for capable PowerBooks, that's gonna be pretty lame.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-24, 14:50

Yeah, it's one thing to do this with a piece of cheap consumer electronics like the iPod where new software features are a major part of the appeal for getting a new replacement, but to do the same thing with computers? VERY STUPID.

I hope someone figures out a hack.
chucker

2006-05-24, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug
Well then, if 10.4.7 doesn't enable this feature for capable PowerBooks, that's gonna be pretty lame.
You get what you pay for. Your PowerBook wasn't advertised to have this feature, and if Apple were to add that for free, that would be a bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I hope someone figures out a hack.
I'm positive.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-05-24, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolz34
Theres always this for powerbooks but its not free though Its called sidetrack and it works with the newer powerbooks.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20854
Yes, I got Sidetrack and paid for it (because A) Its mouse drivers are faster than apples and it allows you to program the corners as buttons, or to use the mouse button or trackpad as left click. You lose two fingure srolling (you only need one, but it must be on the sides of the trackpad, both for horizontal and vertical). B) I also paid to get rid of the painful ad that comes up every time you wake the machine from sleep/boot when using the free version.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-24, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
You get what you pay for. Your PowerBook wasn't advertised to have this feature, and if Apple were to add that for free, that would be a bonus.
That doesn't make it any less lame. Besides, it's not like my computer is unable to run the latest version of OS X. Unlike an iPod, I don't have to buy a new one in order to upgrade the software (and yes, you DO have to buy a new iPod whenever you want to upgrade the software). I guess this feature is really more of a hardware feature, but on my computer it's implemented entirely in software. It's not like I'm asking them for an iSight or an IR sensor for Front Row.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-05-24, 16:00

But an external IR sensor for us PPC users would be nice.
Joolz34

2006-05-25, 10:26

Me personally Id rather have another firewire port but thems the breaks
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-05-25, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
But an external IR sensor for us PPC users would be nice.
The ability to hook up a Universal Dock, perhaps? I'd buy one in that case.