User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Just ordered the new 17" iMac, hope I won't regret that I didn't get the 20".

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Just ordered the new 17" iMac, hope I won't regret that I didn't get the 20".
BlueApple

2006-09-21, 14:01

Just ordered the new 17" iMac, hope I won't regret that I didn't get the 20". It's a 2.0GHz model, with upgraded RAM to 2GB.

Does any here have the new 17" iMac? How do you like it so far? Any problem? Is the screen large enough for you?
Wrao
Yarp

2006-09-21, 14:09

I have a 17" g5 iMac, 2GB ram, 2.0ghz, 250GB HD. It's great. The screen size has never bothered me at all, the only time when I would have liked having a bigger screen is for watching a movie, which I usually do on my powerbook anyway.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-09-21, 14:14

The 17inch is really nice size. I have one and I certainly dont regret the size. As long as you dont have a specific reason for really needing 20 inches you'll find it fine!

What was your old computer?
BlueApple

2006-09-21, 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
What was your old computer?
I sold my MBP 15" to buy the new iMac and the new iPod, and save myself some money. So, there is no old computer. My main computer is a PC, it's 3.2GHz P4, with 2GB RAM and a 19" LCD. Mac is my second computer.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-09-21, 15:09

If it makes you feel any better, the 17" iMac will be my new computer (unless the MacBook has a nice upgrade to it in the coming months). I'm looking in that ~$1,299 neighborhood, so that pretty much means the 17" iMac or mid-range MacBook (as of now).

It'll be a fine size. I love the 20" iMac G5 I have at work, but that's because I spend much of my day working on page design/layout and it's nice to work at 100% and still see a full letter-size or 9x12 document (and still have room for tools).

I don't do that kind of work at home (it's all Illustrator, Safari, iTunes, iChat, Mail, iLife, etc. on my own time), so 17" should be great. I don't even give it a second thought.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-21, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
If it makes you feel any better, the 17" iMac will be my new computer (unless the MacBook has a nice upgrade to it in the coming months). I'm looking in that ~$1,299 neighborhood, so that pretty much means the 17" iMac or mid-range MacBook (as of now).

It'll be a fine size. I love the 20" iMac G5 I have at work, but that's because I spend much of my day working on page design/layout and it's nice to work at 100% and still see a full letter-size or 9x12 document (and still have room for tools).

I don't do that kind of work at home (it's all Illustrator, Safari, iTunes, iChat, Mail, iLife, etc. on my own time), so 17" should be great. I don't even give it a second thought.
Yeah, I loved my 17" iMac. The screen was big enough - I can't even imagine a 24" iMac!

With the current prices, the 20" would be mighty tempting, though. It's a bit faster and has a massive hard drive. Not sure if that's all worth an extra $300, but it would be tempting.

The current iMac line is amazing. If the MacBook line sees a similar boost (1GB RAM, etc.) I'll be overjoyed.

Well, provided the MacBook is upgraded before I buy one.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-09-21, 15:36

Please tell me you went with a 3rd party to get the RAM. Buying all that RAM from Apple is like throwing money away.

edit: Actually, it might not be that bad in this situation. I just priced it out and they're charging quite a bit for an extra gig of RAM, but in order to get *2* gigs from a third party, you'd need to buy 2 one gig chips, which would be about that price. You could go with 1.5 gigs for about $80. So that extra 512 costs quite a bit, but if you want 2 gigs, it's close to the most economical way to go.
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-09-21, 15:46

I let Apple put in 2 GB when ordering my 24". It's $175 to go from 1 to 2, but to buy 2 GB from Crucial is $360.99. I didn't price any other competitors because it just seemed obvious that I would have trouble finding 2 - 1GB SODIMMs for less than $175.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-09-21, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
I let Apple put in 2 GB when ordering my 24". It's $175 to go from 1 to 2, but to buy 2 GB from Crucial is $360.99. I didn't price any other competitors because it just seemed obvious that I would have trouble finding 2 - 1GB SODIMMs for less than $175.
Crucial is such a ripoff for RAM these days. Just go to ramseeker.com and find a vendor that's got a lifetime warranty.
BlueApple

2006-09-21, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Please tell me you went with a 3rd party to get the RAM. Buying all that RAM from Apple is like throwing money away.

edit: Actually, it might not be that bad in this situation. I just priced it out and they're charging quite a bit for an extra gig of RAM, but in order to get *2* gigs from a third party, you'd need to buy 2 one gig chips, which would be about that price. You could go with 1.5 gigs for about $80. So that extra 512 costs quite a bit, but if you want 2 gigs, it's close to the most economical way to go.
I ordered the upgrade from apple store when I built my order. For $175, it's not bad. If I buy a pair of 1GB from 3rd party, it's going to cost about the same, and I'll have to throw away the ones that come with it.
almost2mac

2006-09-22, 03:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueApple View Post
Just ordered the new 17" iMac, hope I won't regret that I didn't get the 20". It's a 2.0GHz model, with upgraded RAM to 2GB.

Does any here have the new 17" iMac? How do you like it so far? Any problem? Is the screen large enough for you?
I have the previous generation 17" iMac and even though I bought before the upgrade I have been and am still thoroughly satisfied with it. It's a great machine!