User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

What will be the next redesigned Intel Mac?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What will be the next redesigned Intel Mac?
iDaver

2006-11-20, 00:59

So far, the MacBook is the only Mac that is newly designed since the switch to Intel. I kind of expected every new Intel Mac would be in a new enclosure but I was very wrong about that.

Since Intel processors aren't as hot (or aren't supposed to be) as G5s, I thought surely we would see a redesigned case for the Power Mac (Mac Pro) but that didn't happen. The guts are different but it looks just the same.

I wonder if we'll see any new Macs at MWSF in January. More than likely, any new hardware there will be the iPhone or V-iPod.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-20, 01:08

The MacBook isn't really newly designed. It's just a slightly wider iBook. (The MacBook Pro, too, is slightly wider than a PowerBook…)

I think Apple was trying to make a point by deliberately not changing the design any more than warranted: to emphasize that the transition is seamless.

Now that the transition is complete, they can start actually redesigning.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-11-20, 01:24

Idunno. I'd consider the MacBook a new "from the ground up" notebook. I don't feel the same way about the MBP, but for all I know it could be all-new, internally.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-11-20, 01:28

I'm with Roboman. Besides the shiny white shell with rounded corners, the MacBook feels and looks very different from the iBook.
MagSafe

2006-11-20, 02:32

It must be very difficult to design something better when you already have an almost perfect design in the first place. For example take the 24" iMac, a massive screen with a computer built into the back ... how could you make the way its designed any better??

If Apple do decide to re-design some of the current line-up i'm sure Ives & Co. will make a great job of it but I just don't see what the point of it would be other than make Mac fans upgrade to the latest and greatest.

I think Apple might fill the gap between the Desktops, something to fill the gap in-between the Mac Mini & Mac Pro maybe ... with proper graphics and a decent choice of storage space.

The speculation towards Macworld this year is going to be great though, they'll be the iTV i'm sure but apart from that and iLife/iWork i really don't know what to expect this time round.

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2006-11-20, 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagSafe View Post
It must be very difficult to design something better when you already have an almost perfect design in the first place. For example take the 24" iMac, a massive screen with a computer built into the back ... how could you make the way its designed any better??
1-Remove the chin
2-Slimmer (I'm sure they can )
MagSafe

2006-11-20, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
1-Remove the chin
2-Slimmer (I'm sure they can )
yeah ... i suppose, but i was meaning in terms of a G3 > G4 > G5 update, the changes made to them were massive, if they were to release a proper G6 then it would (probably) need to be completey different.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-11-20, 12:42

The chin is one of the iMac's best features. I say keep the chin.

Next, new fromt he ground up intel mac redesign? hmmm...

I vote for the cube redux...

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-11-20, 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I'm with Roboman. Besides the shiny white shell with rounded corners, the MacBook feels and looks very different from the iBook.
For me, the keyboard is much nicer than the old iBooks. Also, it doesn't take 47 screws of 3 different sizes and 2 hours to replace the hard drive. Other than this, I'm not sure what other stand out differences there are (besides the different screen size/resolution due to new form factor, etc.), before my MacBook I've only owned PowerBooks.

[edit]
That said, I think the MacBook Pros should be redesigned next. Apple needs to bring easy hard drive replacement back to the pro laptop line. The TiBooks were the last pro laptops with easy HDD replacement (even then, getting the bottom panel to slot correctly was a PITA).
iDaver

2006-11-20, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
The chin is one of the iMac's best features. I say keep the chin.
What exactly do you like about it? I assume it's just a necessary evil; that there are components at the bottom that can't be behind the screen due to heat or some other reason. I thought sure any 23-24 inch model would go sans chin but I guess it has to be there.

I still think the Mac Pro will be the next Mac with a significant case redesign. The Pro is way too large and its huge size is no longer necessary to keep the heat down. (If Apple introduces a smaller mid range headless, the Pro might remain as it is for a few more years.)
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-11-20, 16:08

I like the chin. I think the iMac would look too..idunno...boring without it. It also creates a visual connection with the iPod.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-11-20, 16:11

And on the new 24" it is just the right size. I have to say the iMac is one of the greatest designed computers out there. A work of art.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
dfiler
Veteran Member

2006-11-20, 16:14

Accompanying Leopard's resolution independance...
HigherDef iMac

But seriously! When apple has resolution independence they're gonna flaunt it. The ability to run programs at an appropriate size (no matter the pixel density) will be an absolutely huge selling point. It'll be right up there with "no viruses".
Anthem

2006-11-20, 16:44

People like the chin? I always thought that everyone agreed it looked terrible. It's one of the things keeping me off the iMac.

Regardless, the next Mac to get redesigned will be the Cube.
Perfecting_Zero

2006-11-20, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
People like the chin? I always thought that everyone agreed it looked terrible. It's one of the things keeping me off the iMac.

Agreed.

The superfluity of snow-white plastic has more to do with exigencies of engineering than design or aesthetics, in my view.

I would welcome a redesign of the iMac; even more, I would embrace a mid-tower option.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin
wush

2006-11-20, 18:34

I don't think the iMac looks particularly good. It's hard to look elegant with a big gut hanging out!
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-11-20, 18:48

Make it Bad-ass Black™
Is it 1981?

2006-11-20, 18:48

Without seeing one in person, I do have to say the chin on the 24-inch iMac looks much better in proportion to the screen compared to the 17-inch in the press photos.

But I guess it's a different story when you're sitting just a feet or so away from it...

I'd like to see the Apple logo made to look a bit more classy on any future iMac re-designs; the way it's built/ put/ printed into the current iteration makes it look cheap, the iMac G4's logo was mirrored, while on the iMac G3 it looked like it was recessed.

Helvetica is my bitch.
System: 27" iMac i7, 2TB, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X Snow Leopard
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-11-20, 19:02

The Logo is recessed on the newer iMacs. It's under the clear plastic, then the grey plastic is below the white plastic.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-11-20, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie View Post
The Logo is recessed on the newer iMacs. It's under the clear plastic, then the grey plastic is below the white plastic.
Yeah, and it hides the IR port for the Apple Remote.

And 1981, I'm sitting a few feet from my 24" iMac and the chin isn't overpowering or anything. It looks fine with the screen and the proportion is right.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Anthem

2006-11-20, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
I'm sitting a few feet from my 24" iMac and the chin isn't overpowering or anything. It looks fine with the screen and the proportion is right.
I can't afford the 24" iMac, but I've used it. And I agree the proportions are fine.

On the 17", though, it looks nasty. And the 20" doesn't look particularly great.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2006-11-21, 01:23

I didn't like the chin at first, but after seeing a few mockups recently, I've decided it is necessary to sort of "anchor" it, aesthetically speaking... However while the size of the chin looks about right on the 24" (although could go a bit smaller), I think it's too big on the 17" and 20" models. At the moment, the chin size is an equal height on all models, but I think they should change it to be proportional to the screen size instead, using the 24" propotions.

Other than that I think it would be pretty tough to improve on the iMac's design. Maybe make it a little slimmer? I don't think they'll do a total redesign just for the sake of it...
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2006-11-21, 02:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I like the chin. [...] It also creates a visual connection with the iPod.
Quite true.
Which means...
When the Real(TM) iPod video is announced... We might get a chin-less iMac
How about a Cinema Display iMac? Me Wants it...
MagSafe

2006-11-21, 06:59

To be honest i'd much rather have a mid-range mac introduced. I know this has been talked about in the past but it would make so much sense ... i want to use my own monitor but i only have the choice of a low budget Mac Mini or an extreme budget Mac Pro.

Oh, and do you think Apple will have had the time over 2006 to create a re-modeled Mac line up? I'm thinking they've had the Intel transition/line up, iTV, new iPod's and Leopard ... i'll be seriously impressed if they've got brand new Macs on the horizon.

PaperDog

2006-11-21, 08:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
Make it Bad-ass Black™
I agree - a black widescreen MacBook Pro - anodized Aluminum with a recessed keyboard. Nice.