User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Macbook Pro - case coming apart!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Macbook Pro - case coming apart!
McSandwich

2007-05-03, 17:54

I noticed today that my MBP's case is starting to come apart. I was picking it up and felt a sharp edge at the back left between the speaker and the screen. On closer inspection, it seems that the the aluminium has warped slightly and is no longer flush with the plastic edging - see the photo below. It wasn't dropped or bashed and I would've noticed the sharp edge during cleaning if it was there before.

I'm thinking that the cause is due to the power supply getting hot or possibly a component 'swelling' below that part of the case. It was plugged in and quite warm when I noticed the the warp which has 'relaxed' after an hour without use (when cool it still flexes when pressed).

Is this a known problem and has anyone seen it before? The screen has also developed a warp (also left side) which is noticeable when closed. I'm planning to call Apple tomorrow, it's only 4 months old so I'm expecting a replacement - what are my chances?

Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-05-03, 18:14

It looks like it isn't much more than 1mm. As things age, stuff loosens. It's just going to happen. No big deal.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-05-03, 18:25

What WR said. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Further, every few months I go around my PowerBook and tighten the various screws. The ones around the edge of the display have a tendency to slowly loosen themselves. You might want to do the same just for good measure.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
McSandwich

2007-05-03, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
It looks like it isn't much more than 1mm. As things age, stuff loosens. It's just going to happen. No big deal.
I took the photo with my phone so it's not that clear, the edge is sticking up about 3mm when hot (I can fit my fingernail under the edge). I accept that wear and tear is inevitable, but it's only 4 months old! I expected better after spending €2500...

[edit]
I realise this doesn't sound like much to be worried about, but I've read various reports of similar case flaws, and am concerned that mine could get worse over time.

see:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....12548&#4412548
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....79166&#3479166

[/edit]

Last edited by McSandwich : 2007-05-03 at 18:42.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-05-04, 01:30

My MBP also has some edges that are not perfect, but I put that down to the fact that it was made in China, not due to overheating.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-05-04, 02:53

My 14 months old MBP was almost perfectly assembled from new, but with time it has got a few gaps and small dents. I've never been worried too much about it, but if feels like it's coming apart you are in your good right to bring it in for an inspection.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-05-04, 08:58

If it's only 4 months old, take it to an Apple store or call Apple. You're under warrenty for 1 year.
McSandwich

2007-05-04, 17:52

Thanks for your replies, I'll post when I get it sorted out..
Fran441

2007-05-04, 20:46

Definitely get this fixed as soon as possible. I'd also advise buying AppleCare for your laptop if you haven't already, it's a must buy for anyone buying an Apple laptop. A few years ago, my Pismo PowerBook G3/500 had to be sent back to Apple countless times and they eventually called it a lemon and replaced it with a Titanium PowerBook G4/1 GHz.

Now that my TiBook is out of warranty, I'm having terrible issues with it. It's only a matter of time before I give up on it completely. The main problem I'm having is that the right hinge has failed and to keep the computer running, I can't shut the lid. I put the computer to sleep using the Apple menu and if I try and wake up the computer too soon after I put it to sleep and the fans start up, the computer doesn't seem to have enough power to come back on and it just dies and shuts itself down. This happens when the display tries to power up when booting about half the time as well. I also had to replace the battery when it fell out of the case (the clasps holding it in place failed) and purchased a 3rd party battery to replace it. The new battery worked for about a week before it stopped being recharged. Then it started showing up in the Finder as being fully charged at 0%. Unfortunately, I'm still fighting to get the battery returned for a refund.

My luck with my PowerBooks has been less than great but I've learned that if you think anything is wrong with your laptop, regardless of how small you think it might be, it's better to be safe than sorry. Take it to an Apple Store or call Apple Tech Support and get it sent off to be repaired. They are remarkably fast at getting the computer back to you and being without your Mac for a few days now could save you many headaches down the road.

Good luck with your computer.