User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Anyone else use their notebooks with an external display and lid closed? (wifi issue)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone else use their notebooks with an external display and lid closed? (wifi issue)
YouOweNut

Send a message via AIM to YouOweNut  
2010-10-29, 16:18

Hi all. So I've been having an issue whilst using my MBP connected to an external display and lid closed. Airport is SO flakey to the point that internet is unusable. At first I thought it was our router. But then one day I left the lid open and it was like night and day, instant page loads and Safari just flew.

Does anyone else have this problem when using their notebook in 'clamshell mode'? I'm on a 13" unibody MacBook Pro btw.

And now I'm trying to find a way to wake the computer (with the lid open) but keep the main display off and only use the external display. I'm not sure its possible though because if the main display could be turned off and there was no external plugged in, it would be unusable right?
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-10-29, 17:50

When I use my MB with an external display, I just turn the brightness all the way down until it's black and then close it until it's almost totally closed. It's not totally off, but it's close and requires no hacks.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
YouOweNut

2010-10-30, 03:21

But isn't that wasting computing power running the display? Also the cursor can be lost on the dark screen
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-10-30, 03:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
When I use my MB with an external display, I just turn the brightness all the way down until it's black and then close it until it's almost totally closed. It's not totally off, but it's close and requires no hacks.
All Intel-based Apple laptops don't require hacks for lid-closed mode. (The iBook did.)

I'm a bit confused, too — are you using it in mirrored mode? If not, aren't you constantly bumping your cursor outside the external screen's area?
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-10-30, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I'm a bit confused, too — are you using it in mirrored mode? If not, aren't you constantly bumping your cursor outside the external screen's area?
I use it in extend mode because I occasionally need to drop something over onto the other screen (like if I'm playing a video game on the external, I'll go stick the area map on the notebook screen and turn its brightness up), and I can't be assed to switch between mirrored and extend every time I decide to do something different. I've apparently adapted to never sending my cursor outside of the screen, because I never lose it. I think it's just force of habit.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-10-30, 12:42

Poor Paul Fitts.
YouOweNut

2010-10-31, 14:31

Capella, so you don't have any wifi reception problems with the lid almost closed? I still can't figure that one out. Why would Apple tell people how to use their notebook in clamshell mode if its going to hinder performance?
zsummers
Avast!

2010-10-31, 15:26

Mine works fine. 15" MBP (2007), closed with an external display. But I have no idea how to advise you other than to try the magical re-download of the last point update and reinstall.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
¡Damned!

2010-10-31, 16:03

My 13" works fine in clamshell mode as well. One thing to remember is that the antennae are on the sides of the screen. My advice would be to stop stacking shit on top of it when it's closed.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-10-31, 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouOweNut View Post
And now I'm trying to find a way to wake the computer (with the lid open) but keep the main display off and only use the external display. I'm not sure its possible though because if the main display could be turned off and there was no external plugged in, it would be unusable right?
What happens if you wake the computer with the screen closed, then open the screen. Doesn't the built in screen stay off? My 15" use to do that...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-10-31, 20:49

The screen on my 13" MBP stays off if I open it after waking from sleep.
YouOweNut

2010-11-01, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
What happens if you wake the computer with the screen closed, then open the screen. Doesn't the built in screen stay off? My 15" use to do that...
It does stay off. Thats what I do now but I'm lazy and was hoping there was a way where I wouldn't have to close the lid EVERY time I put the computer to sleep. Also the way I have my desk set up, the notebook is behind my display so I hate having to reach around to fiddle with the magnetic latch that just will not let me open it with one hand .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
My advice would be to stop stacking shit on top of it when it's closed.
I never stack anything on my MBP . I'd be scared of damaging the screen. Maybe the antenna just works better with the screen-open orientation. I'm going to try standing the MBP on its side.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-11-01, 21:11

I used my 13" MBP in clamshell mode all the time. Never had a single problem with wifi reception. You should get that checked out.