User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Redesigned MacBook Pro and iMac coming in first half of 2011?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Redesigned MacBook Pro and iMac coming in first half of 2011?
Page 3 of 7 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-01-24, 12:27

I've started haunting Gooble news searches for the MacBook Pro. Been awhile since I've cared to speculate about future products.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-01-25, 19:25

I overheard some guys in a restaurant talking about improved battery life in upcoming laptops. Might we expect the MacBook Pro to experience further battery tweaks?

joveblue
Veteran Member

2011-01-26, 04:48

Definitely maybe.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-01-26, 06:58

I knew it!!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-01-26, 18:45

Drew, all good things come to those who wait.

Your agony will soon be over, hopefully.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-01-28, 00:58

I was literally ONE CLICK away from buying a cheaper make-do computer today and then I did a Gooble search and saw the same thing!!!!!! At this point they could just do a tiny tweak and I'd be happy.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-01-30, 19:12

I had an idea!!

"What if we look back to early 2010 and find when news of "low inventories" was first reported then do some math"

Here's the search.

See if it looks to you like mid/late February (say Feb 24th) was the earliest postings of channel clearing.... that's what I'm seeing.

Noting that it was April 13th when the Macbook Pros were last refreshed, that maps out to a span of roughly 6 weeks.

So perhaps we should be looking at either Tuesday March 8th or Tuesday March 15th.

Or we could always refer to the Macbook Pro Buyer's Guide....

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Last edited by drewprops : 2011-01-30 at 20:42.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2011-01-30, 22:40

Here's hoping the rumours of an anti-reflective screen for the new iPad 2, makes it way down to new MacBooks, iMacs and even the Cinema Displays.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-01-31, 11:40

Oh noes!!!

A Dandy Bridge recall!!!!!?

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-01-31, 11:52

Here's hoping that nothing is announced for the next two weeks so I can maximize the profit on selling my old one.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-02-01, 22:09

Does this Sandy Bridge mishap make anyone leary of buying the next update?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-02-02, 00:32

Yah.
A bit.
Leery, even.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-02-02, 00:47

I dunno, Intel seems to be pretty on top of this. I'm not in the market but I wouldn't worry. Sandy Bridge will be a worthy update it seems.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Eugene
careful with axes

2011-02-02, 10:16

You shouldn't be leary. Apple and fans should be somewhat relieved that not a single shipping product has a Sandy Bridge PCH in it. Unlike Dell, Gateway, Asus, Gigabyte, etc. Apple won't have to issue a recall and deal with angry/confused customers.

EDIT: Here's a Cinebench R11.5 score from my 2600K. Worthy update is an understatement.

Last edited by Eugene : 2011-02-02 at 10:40.
splacid

2011-02-07, 11:35

9to5Mac.com says an update is possible this Wednesday. I hope so, my six-year old PowerBook G4 is on its last legs.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-02-07, 12:10

I'd like it to happen sooner, rather then later. I honestly don't need to upgrade but I want to upgrade to a 15" with firewire because of the way my music recording hardware operates. A month or two back, I was leaning towards the iPad and iMac combo but I feel I'd miss the laptop portability moreso then having an iPad and a nice iMac.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-02-07, 12:47

Would you be in situations, in a mobile/traveling scenario, where you'd have to be recording and using the FireWire port for your music needs on a consistent, ongoing basis? Enough to justify the expense and various trade-offs?

Screen (physical size and resolution)? iMac
Processor? iMac
Hard drive (capacity and speed)? iMac
Graphics? iMac
Available ports? iMac

All that given up for a mobile FireWire-based solution. Better be sure...

If you do travel and record a lot, more power to you...the choice is obvious! But if not, you certainly get a hell of a lot more (music/recording-friendly) bang for your buck with the iMac (even the entry-level model, or especially a current-generation refurb). That saved $600 (or more?) easily buys your second-generation iPad (and a nice case to carry it in).

Bear in mind I'm an iMac + iOS device lover, so...YMMV. Obviously.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2011-02-07, 13:30

FWIW, I don't think focusing on travel is the key factor for laptops vs. desktops. For me, it's about the ability to use my machine in different places at home—on the couch, in bed, at the desk, whatever—moreso than the ability to take it with me to other places.

But I'm also the guy that prefers to buy laptops that are as small as possible, so I'm probably an exception in terms of my usage habits.

I really have nothing to put here, but I feel it's rather strange to not have one.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-02-07, 14:25

Yeah, that's true. I live in a small place, so I don't mind a desktop. But if I wanted to write in one room, do music stuff in another, etc. a notebook might be good.

Then again, maybe the art/media/design/music room would be the place you'd put your iMac, and then use something light and fast - like an iPad - everywhere else for reading, e-mail, surfing, etc.?

He'll figure it out, based on his needs.

With the current lineup, it's tough to go wrong with any Mac. They're all pretty damn nice!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-02-07, 14:36

I'm just really torn right now because like for the music stuff, a few times a year, I go out to a practice space we rent to record or over a friends house to lay down guitar tracks and stuff like that and it's a pain in the ass packing up my junk.

Like you said 'coster, I love being able to take my laptop around the house, whether in the living room, kitchen, outside on the deck, or taking it to work when I need it, but coming back to what Paul said, an iPad would really help with that.

I could keep my laptop right now but what I'm trying to do more or less, it go from the two computers I have now down to one. It's a pain trying to keep them synced up and on the same page. Sometimes when I go to do some work on a song, I'll realize it's on Mini or vice versa.

None of this would be an issue had Apple of just included FW on the 1st gen unibodies . Which ever I buy, I will be able to sell off my 13" Mac Book and my Mac Mini to help with the cost. If I go with the new 15" MBP, I'm also considering getting a 27" display, but then that little Imp on my shoulder keeps tapping me because I've wanted an iPad for so damn long....ugh. Tough decisions, ha.

@yontsey
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-02-07, 14:53

Whether you went with an iMac or MacBook Pro, you'd still have to pack up any music-oriented hardware, no matter which. So maybe it comes down to how easy/practical it is to tote an iMac around? Do they make protective, easy-to-load cases/carriers for iMacs? I know a few companies did back in the jellybean iMac days, but it's been years since I've seen anything for the iMac G5-and-after designs.

The few times I've had to take my iMac somewhere (repair, etc.), it's a pain because a) it wiggles on that arm, so it doesn't stand up straight and still like a tower, and b) it's awkwardly weighted so if you don't strap it in with a seatbelt, it's going to end up on your dashboard the first time you slam on the breaks. I've kept my box around, but fooling with the styofoam and all is a hassle.

I guess it comes down to how many times you would take it to the rehearsal space or a friend's house? 2-3 times a year? Or 20+? If it was the former, I could deal with that. If it was something I was lugging around every couple of weeks, I'd definitely get the MacBook Pro.

Do you have to be concerned about things like 7200rpm vs. 5400rpm hard drives? I didn't know if that factored in much these days? Or would you BTO (or replace yourself) the stock 5400rpm drive that came with the MacBook Pro?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-02-07, 15:02

The hardware that I use on the go is relatively small and isn't really a factor. It's about the size of an original PSP or like a Game Gear or something like that. That's easily tossed into my backpack, along with a couple mics and cables.

I was definitely going to upgrade to a 7200 hdd. That's what I use on both of my computers and couldn't imagine going any lower at this point and time.

I also wish that the iPad would be able to stream games from ESPN3. Huge thumbs down for me.

@yontsey

Last edited by Yontsey : 2011-02-07 at 15:15.
splacid

2011-02-14, 11:12

Some in this thread on MacRumors are saying they will steer clear of the upcoming refreshed MacBook Pros because of the supposed "minor tweaks" Apple is making to the logic boards of the new models due to the Cougar Point design error issue. Some are even going so far as to call it a "hack" and will wait until the sales channel is clear of these "patched" machines.

I've been using my PowerBook G4 since May 2004 and really, really need a new machine. Can anyone with a more technical background than I speak to the validity of waiting even longer once the refreshed MacBook Pros have been released?
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-02-14, 13:42

Ok. I sold my MacBook Pro, so the new models can drop any time now.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-02-14, 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by splacid View Post
Some in this thread on MacRumors are saying they will steer clear of the upcoming refreshed MacBook Pros because of the supposed "minor tweaks" Apple is making to the logic boards of the new models due to the Cougar Point design error issue. Some are even going so far as to call it a "hack" and will wait until the sales channel is clear of these "patched" machines.

I've been using my PowerBook G4 since May 2004 and really, really need a new machine. Can anyone with a more technical background than I speak to the validity of waiting even longer once the refreshed MacBook Pros have been released?
Worst case, you have Apple Care if something goes wrong.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-02-14, 16:05

I have a 7 year old PowerBook that had to have its logic board replaced on two separate occasions and the old girl is still chugging along. Apple Care is splendid, but I share the concern regarding getting a balky processor

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-02-16, 04:54

On the MacBook Pros, I'm looking forward to higher resolution screens, but I'm not expecting a full case redesign. I'm guessing there will be a shake-up on the GPU front, though.

Re: thread title, I'm not expecting a redesigned iMac in the first half of 2011 (though we should see a speed bump). I think we'll see a major redesign with an articulating touchscreen around October. It'll be Teh Sex, but it might have smaller screens.

OK, I'm done prognosticating. Thoughts?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-02-16, 09:19

What's your opinion on Lightspeed or whatever that intel connector is called. My 7 year old PowerBook has a FireWire 800 connector, making it far forward looking. Would be keen to have another futuristic machine.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-02-16, 09:40

Intel's new ad: new MBPs? Only downer is that I don't see an iSight...

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-02-16, 09:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
What's your opinion on Lightspeed or whatever that intel connector is called. My 7 year old PowerBook has a FireWire 800 connector, making it far forward looking. Would be keen to have another futuristic machine.

Light Peak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh View Post
Intel's new ad: new MBPs? Only downer is that I don't see an iSight...

One would hope they wouldn't make it that ugly. Looks generic to me.