AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

new to illustrator/photoshop

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
new to illustrator/photoshop
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-03-24, 20:02

I got a fantastic deal on CS4 last semester that I couldn't pass up on, only problem was that I've never really used it. I kept telling myself I'd find the time but never really did. Now the time of year is coming around to the point where a bunch of guys in my fraternity want to make some t-shirts for our formal and some events. "The Guy" who had been making them finally graduated so there's a bit of a power vacuum at the moment to fill his position, and I've always been a fan of the idea of designing things on my computer, so I want to do my best to fill that role.

Now typical fraternity t-shirts are a pretty simple affair - take a popular (usually beer) logo and change the words it to match your event/fraternity. So I want to start with learning how to do this. Eventually once I get the tools down I'll expand to being a little bit more creative

So where do I start? Illustrator or Photoshop? I've been scouring google for specific how-tos and can't really find anything. Could anyone here give me a (hopefully) brief walkthrough of changing the typing on an established logo and then move into more elaborate changes?

Just for an example, I would like the popular tour de france logo to say "Tour de Franzia" (one of our traditions )

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-03-25, 06:11

In that specific case, your best bet is probably Illustrator (even if you don't have the exact font).

Live Trace (video tutorial here) will convert the image to vectors and separate text from background.

Delete the 'c' and 'e' from France, (or move control points to deform one of them into your 'i'), and clone/flip the 'n' into a 'z', and duplicate the 'a'.

You may need to scale down the whole word Franzia to get it to fit, but some trial and error should get you close.

Make sense?

pscates and others here probably do way more illustrator than I do, but that's the method that jumped to mind first.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2010-03-25, 09:34

Another tips : What the font ?

It can help you find font used on images. So once you got the font, or something similar, it would be pretty easy to do the thing you asked.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-03-25, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiousuburb View Post
In that specific case, your best bet is probably Illustrator (even if you don't have the exact font).

Live Trace (video tutorial here) will convert the image to vectors and separate text from background.

Delete the 'c' and 'e' from France, (or move control points to deform one of them into your 'i'), and clone/flip the 'n' into a 'z', and duplicate the 'a'.

You may need to scale down the whole word Franzia to get it to fit, but some trial and error should get you close.

Make sense?

pscates and others here probably do way more illustrator than I do, but that's the method that jumped to mind first.
thanks a bunch (and that what the font site looks pretty sweet). The only problem i'm having is the orb, R, and E get lumped as one object when I do livetrace, how do I either prevent or fix this?
¡Damned!

2010-03-25, 10:53

This isn't going to help your mad Adobe skillz, but if it were me doing this, I'd first go to the TdF Wikipedia entry, click on the logo, download the .svg file and then open it up in Illustrator.

Alternatively, I'd go to Brands of the World and download the .eps file.

So it goes.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-03-25, 11:11

709's methods will save you some steps, and some headaches.