User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 185 of 222 First Previous 181 182 183 184 [185] 186 187 188 189  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-10, 19:06

Amazing that some adult(?) thought this was a good idea, and made sense (and would go over well). Not "what are you going to do this summer" or "what what your favorite moment from this past school year?". But this idiocy.

How Edgy™ someone must have felt.

I worked on the yearbook staff for two years. Nothing gets "snuck in", or "accidentally printed". At some point, several adults in positions of authority/leadership sat in a room and planned/outlined/okayed everything, including this little exercise in clue-starved, tone-deaf fuckwittery. That's the story here...

I think a few folks might want to spend part of the weekend updating/tightening their resumés, and/or feigning ignorance/playing the buck-passing victim on social media.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-06-10, 22:00

Yearbook staffer here too. 4 or 5 years, both junior and senior high. There are people upstream at the publisher who handle the art too

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-11, 02:05

Like I said, I try hard not to cuss too much on this forum. But, sometimes my inner human gets away from me.

That said …

Fuck me running!

I just cannot get on board with the absolute and total mental retardation involved in this instance. That anyone — and I mean anyone — thought this was a good idea is absurd. Keeping in mind that the yearbook in question had to be in development for at least six months-ish, this was planned before the recent slaughter of innocents in Uvalde. That matters not a lick to me. Enough children have been murdered in schools by nutballs that this crap should never have gotten passed the marijuana-fueled "I got an ideer" stage. An adult — any adult — should have smacked that smart ass square in the chops before "murder mystery at school" ever got clear of their mouth. Oh, my hell!

What in the actual FUCK?

Paul, I demand you find proof that this shit happened in Florida!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
There are people upstream at the publisher who handle the art too
And these fucktards want red-flag laws? I'm sure the publisher got paid well. But, at the end of the day, they don't care so long as the check clears.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-06-11, 06:54

Don't conflate this bit of dumb-assery with the lack of need for a better network for tracking troubled people who might be capable of mass gun violence.

The teacher in charge of the yearbook's theme should be held accountable. Until now, I never thought about whether our yearbook teacher was in communication about the themes of our yearbooks.

I mean, everything made sense (more or less) back when we were growing up. Our themes were created by consensus, after a lot of discussion. They often centered around our school mascot.

We generally kept the theme hush hush (not that anybody but us CARED what it was), so I'm left wondering if all of this caught the school's Principal unawares.

The questions about murder and prison are so beyond the pale that I truly want to hear from the yearbook teacher.

I'm sure their "reasoning" would cause me to yelp and drive into a ditch, because I have a strong suspicion that they're from a different generation from mine.

And here we get back to a discussion of the soup that our culture is soaking in, and what makes it different than the soup that I grew up in.

An expectation for violence is what I see.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-06-11, 19:15

From the there's-still-some-good-in-this-world department:

A non-verbal teen with Down's Syndrome had to flee Mariupol and to placate him, his mother told him they were traveling to meet his hero, John Cena.

Cena found out and traveled to Amsterdam to meet them for real.

Video on the tweet: https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status...98919307878401
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-11, 19:27

Ah, that's cool. I like when celebrities use their fame and fandom for cool things like this. That kid will remember this for the rest of his life.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-18, 08:27

**They Deserve It, Every Single One News**

Walking on Hot Coals: A Company Event Goes Wrong

No shit. I'm stunned.

People still do this nonsense, these trendy "team-building" things where a bunch of people who can probably barely stand one another have to pretend otherwise for a few hours?

Quote:
Walking barefoot across hot coals, an ancient religious ritual popularized in recent years as a corporate team-building exercise, has once again bonded a group of co-workers through the shared suffering of burned feet.

In the latest case of the stunt going wrong, 25 employees of a Swiss ad agency were injured Tuesday evening while walking over hot coals in Zurich, officials said. Ten ambulances, two emergency medical teams and police officers from multiple agencies were deployed to help, according to the Zurich police. Thirteen people were briefly hospitalized.
Nobody thought, on the front-end, such a thing might happen? I wouldn't work for a company that stupid, frankly.

Quote:
“We very much regret the incident and we are doing everything we can to ensure that our employees get well again quickly,” Michi Frank, the chief executive of the company, Golbach, said in a news release.
Translation: "Dear God in Heaven (and anyone else who may be listening, and in a position to help), please don't let the employees we hurt by making them do this stupid, pointless shit sue the sweet, living balls off us".

Because you know they're gonna!

Quote:
The company declined to provide more details of the event.
I bet they did. "Hey, we're kinda idiots...derr derr derr!"

Quote:
The sense that walking across burning coals requires a special inner state has motivated its transformation from a mystical spiritual tradition into a capitalist self-improvement project.
Exactly. There's their first mistake, trying to latch onto trendy, exotic woo-woo in 2022 and risking the health/safety of the people who work for you.

These are alleged adults, with alleged degrees, doing this stuff. For the flimsiest of reasons. Want to unify your employees? Give them a random half-Friday off (close up at 2pm) and send them to the pub across the street with a company credit card. That'll do far more for "team-building" than any of this other stuff.

The remainder of the article is just too fucking stupid to bother quoting/mocking.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-18, 10:26

I've done some team building things before but that would be a big hell no. I know it can be done, but my feet aren't going to try.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-19, 05:25

**Is It Real Or Is It The Onion News**

New monkeypox advice is to have sex with your clothes on and masturbate six feet apart

…with a mask on my face and two on my crank, I assume?

I imagine people can’t wait to not follow these either!

With any luck we’ll be spared daily updates/briefings from Fauci discussing either aspect.

“Personally, I always strive for eight feet, and I prefer to also leave my shoes on. I will, however, loosen my tie…”.

**The sound of an entire room of reporters dry-heaving**
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-20, 07:56

**Sounds Like a Really Good Time, Said Nobody News**

World Cup sex ban as horny fans warned one-night stands can lead to 7 years in jail

You have to be one hardcore, soccer-loving weirdo to attend this thing in Qatar. No drinking? No sex? No thanks! When your only distraction/enjoyment is men running around for 90-minutes and nothing ever really coming of it.

But, agree with them or not, the rules/expectations are firmly established up front, so I don't want to hear any ginned-up sob stories of UK and other Western fans defying said rules/expectations and winding up in trouble. When in Rome, people. And if you can't keep it in your pants for 3-4 weeks, then you don't need to go there. Just watch it on TV in your own debauched, anything-goes country. No piece of tail is worth seven years in the clink. A Middle Eastern clink, no less...AC probably isn't a high priority.

PS - I really don't ever want to hear any shit about how restrictive/oppressive Western Christianity is on these matters. Even the most Bible-thumping, rattlesnake-dancing, women-don't-wear-pants-ever Baptist county in West Virginia isn't going to put anyone in jail over a bit of casual sausage-hiding with a stranger (although I've been to West Virginia and...well, good luck with that).

PS - I've managed to disparage or ding two religions/cultures, an international sport and a U.S. state (oh, and question/doubt the intrinsic value of snatch) in a single post. Possibly a new personal best for me?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-06-20 at 13:50.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-20, 07:58

Looking at my previous two entries, I might need my own thread of weird/funny/WTF?! sex-related news. I have a feeling that well never dries up.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-06-20, 08:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I have a feeling that well never dries up.
At some point it does, but if the spirit is willing, modern medicine has you covered.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-20, 12:58

My, my, my. The water in Tennessee must be flavored with LSD.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-20, 13:51

I wish!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-23, 18:16

**It's Almost As If This Tool Is Wanting To Lose His Gig News**

Ezra Miller reportedly housing mom and 3 young kids at farm with weed, guns 'lying around'

...in addition to assaulting strangers and generally acting like a royal nutbag of late.

That standalone Flash movie he's headlining opens exactly a year from today, June 23, 2023. He keeps causing problems and it may not at all. I'm not sure how they'd approach things if he just really got loopy...just pull the plug completely and write if off? Or release it no matter what and hope for the best? He's still got a solid year to do God-knows-what...if they do release it as planned and he's still acting like an asshole for the next year, they may yank him off the press/publicity tour. "No, you're not going on Good Morning America and Jimmy Fallon or giving interviews to Kelly Ripa...we don't need one extra bit of help with our movies opening poorly!"

DC/WB may have a real PR mess on their hands, which isn't new for them. But it's usually due to shitty, incoherent movies and not their lead actor publicly going off the rails.

It would be crazy if they actually managed to put together a somewhat decent, sense-making movie - finally - and it was all tainted/ruined by this knob's antics.

"We truly can't catch a break...we're just going to stick to animated fare, where the voice artists can be fat and ugly and nobody gives a crap about them or their real-life behavior".

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-06-23 at 18:30.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-06-27, 18:47

Atlanta Subway employee shot dead by customer in argument over mayo, police say

In front of her 5-year old kid.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-28, 08:42

That is really such a stupid situation. I mean, I don't like to much of anything on my sandwich, but to shoot someone over it is just too much. At least they arrested the attacker.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-06-29, 23:46

Quiet week.

::grapples for steering wheel while throwing plates at wall::

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-30, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Quiet week.

::grapples for steering wheel while throwing plates at wall::

Great. Now you've given Paul a reason to post some stupid Florida-related, nude-while-sidewalk-painting story.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-06-30, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Great. Now you've given Paul a reason to post some stupid Florida-related, nude-while-sidewalk-painting story.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-07-01, 09:14

It’s Hard to Overstate the Danger of the Voting Case the Supreme Court Just Agreed to Hear

I don't even understand this yet, but I expect scary things now.

¡Damned!

2022-07-01, 09:31

**political comment warning**
Spoiler (click to toggle):
"If conservatives become convinced that they can not win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy.” ― David Frum, 2018
¡Damned!

2022-07-01, 11:09

🎆🇨🇦🎇
Happy Canada Day to our northern brothers and sisters!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-01, 11:25

There's a Canada Day day?

I bet Murbot is getting hammered!

And FrankSevenSevenSeven is probably totaling some tea.

Who else is up there?

Happy Canada Day day to all of you. Boy, the entire North American continent will be blaring their music loud this weekend! I bet we 'Muricans crash more cars, blow more stuff up, and drink ourselves more stupid this weekend than you Canucks!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-01, 12:30

Cryptoqueen now on the FBI 10 Most Wanted List!

She has good company on that list and she isn't a terrorist or drug lord!
Quote:
Ruja Ignatova, who is accused of defrauding investors of more than $4 billion, was added to the federal bureau’s Ten Most Wanted Fugitive list, the law enforcement agency announced Thursday. The 42-year-old joins a list of sought after suspects that includes alleged killers and accused drug cartel leaders.

She’s only the 11th woman ever placed on the top 10 list in its 72-year history.
I mean, she didn't kill anyone, but she sure murdered their bank accounts.
Quote:
Ignatova, whose nickname is “Cryptoqueen,” has been on the run since 2017. She and her partner founded OneCoin, a Bulgarian-based company that marketed purported cryptocurrency that authorities said was a scam. The FBI said millions of investors around the world were tricked into giving her money since she started OneCoin in 2014.
I have to say, this really reminds me of the gif I posted earlier:

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-01, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
She’s only the 11th woman ever placed on the top 10 list in its 72-year history.
This is the only bit I'm interested in. As a champion of equal rights, I think this number needs to increase to an equal 50% as soon as possible!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-01, 13:25

After you posted that I started clicking through the people on it. Most are only $100k reward. One guy is $20M though! That is a lot of helping get a conviction... of course you would be dead before you ever got to enjoy that money if you did succeed.

I am curious who got knocked off the top ten to make room for her. Given most on the list did a single murder, it seems surprising actually. I assumed there would be way more people like bin Laden from back in the day. Nope, just murderers and thieves.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-01, 15:14

I'm totally upset that a man got kicked off that list just to make way for a woman who didn't even have the balls to kill someone! The FBI is sexist!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-07-01, 20:08

Quote:
There's a Canada Day day?
Lol, the name does suck, not sure why we call it that. I guess it's better than calling it Confederation Day (which is what the day marks), or, gasp, Independence Day.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2022-07-02, 09:22

Quote:
I'm totally upset that a man got kicked off that list just to make way for a woman who didn't even have the balls to kill someone! The FBI is sexist!
There is no greater crime than stealing from the wealthy.