User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 190 of 221 First Previous 186 187 188 189 [190] 191 192 193 194  Next Last Thread Tools
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2022-10-07, 12:15

While yes I pointed out I enjoy on occasion, I also want to reiterate that more than half my use is for the medical reason of migraines. Just like lots of people use it for cancer related issues ( pain or appetite loss ) or for epilepsy or for other chronic pain symptoms.

If you’re looking for exact study data it’s harder to find because we made it Schedule I so it can’t be studied here in the US - we allow more studies on heroin than on marijuana and I think that’s shortsighted. Had we not done that we would have decades of more solid data. So our treatment of it as such a high risk drug has directly contributed to lack of data - and all because of political reasons to mark it as more severe than fucking cocaine.

That said, because medical use is becoming more common there are studies on driver impairment and metabolite time that are good guidelines. I’m not an expert in those because I can’t drive for medical reasons so I don’t have to worry about it. I would never take an edible and go to work after it, but if I take one at 9pm the night before I’m completely unimpaired by morning.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Anonymous Coward

2022-10-07, 12:17

I believe the situation in the military is more complicated than "just because one is legal and one currently is not why is one OK and the other not". Having done neither, it is impossible for me to give first hand experience, such as if one is able to tell the effects of short term drug use/abuse as compared to alcohol use/abuse, but there is the effect on morale, such as the members who don't indulge/overindulge having to take up the slack for others, especially for the first watch at sea or in foreign ports. Consequences vary by command, but in any case there is someone who has to pay.

The other thing is that it is difficult to smuggle alcohol on board a ship as opposed to drugs. No, in my experience, service members are not searched before boarding a ship/submarine, but one is more obvious than the other, except perhaps for those little bottles like those on airplanes. The fact is that, even on a top secret, "research" submarine, crew members have been prosecuted and transferred away for marijuana use while under way. I do not know how often this happens and probably this is not widely publicized, but do know of that instance just because I was one considered being pulled off another crew as a replacement.

Just because alcohol use is condoned by the military to the point where there are clubs and package stores on base does not mean that any alcohol or drug abuse should be tolerated, or that there should be equal opportunity to abuse either. Maybe alcohol use or drug use can be benign, but there is no doubt that abuse is not uncommon, so I don't consider the "why is one OK and the other not" to be any excuse for it happening in the first place. Whether or not you consider it fair that military personnel be held to different standards than the general public, they are. They might not always live up to those standards, but they still exist.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-10-07, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Capella,
Maybe I just don't know enough about pot/THC in the system, but how can one be tested for levels in the system and their effect on motor control and mental stability?
The Germans ran the army on meth from 1939 to 1942, seemed to work well for them. Totally different, but you know, why not throw it out there.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-10-07, 16:18

That escalated quickly.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-10-07, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
That escalated quickly.
Of course, drugs are bad, and make people do bad things! Nothing a little morphine cannot fix! Okay, morphine is the only drug that strong I've had (extreme pain), but that was in a hospital. I doubt it was very much either.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-08, 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
That escalated quickly.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-11, 15:00

"Legendary actress Angela Lansbury, of "Murder, She Wrote" and "Beauty and the Beast," has died at age 96"

I loved that show as a kid.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-10-14, 19:00

Actor Robbie Coltrane passed away, and within an hour of the news I was seeing people posting "Rest In Piss" comments in a thread started by a friend who pointed out that Robbie had supported J. K. Rowling in the trans debate.

I just cannot engage in these debates.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-17, 07:53

Ye (Kanye West) is buying Parler.
Ye wants to "assure Parler a future role in creating an uncancelable ecosystem where all voices are welcome." Isn't that what Truth is for? I wonder when the merger with Truth Social will happen or if it will even be needed ones Twitter changes hands to a more "open platform". This ought to be really interesting to see it unfold.

I'm guessing in the end the dilution will end with three platforms your friends all complain that you aren't on their platform and they aren't moving to your inferior platform.

Twitter wins for the longer time just due to brand recognition and number of active members/users.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2022-10-17, 08:29

I've never listened to his music but it must be fucking brilliant for people to put this increasingly unhinged loon on a pedestal.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-10-17, 08:50

I used to love his early stuff and had it on repeat fairly regularly.

No however, when I hear it, I skip it immediately.

Dude is off his meds and someone needs to have an intervention to get him back into sanity.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-17, 09:04

I don't know that I have ever listened to his music. I mean, I'm sure I walked through a store at one point and it was playing in the overhead but that isn't something I pay attention to.

I'm firmly a hard rock/heavy metal kinda guy and Kanye doesn't strike me as that genre.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-10-17, 10:47

This will just lead to the death of both platforms. Nobody wants 4chan.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-10-17, 12:32

That must have been some giant-sized truck filled with cash Kanye sent over to the Parler parking lot.

The sheer speed with which this happened is impressive. I'm skeptical of the future results, but impressed.
¡Damned!

2022-10-17, 13:24

Is Parler really worth that much? As far as I can tell the Mercers have to keep feeding it tens of millions every month or so to keep it afloat, and its user base is less than 6 figures. How much could it realistically go for?

So it goes.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-10-17, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Is Parler really worth that much? As far as I can tell the Mercers have to keep feeding it tens of millions every month or so to keep it afloat, and its user base is less than 6 figures. How much could it realistically go for?
Apparently it’s worth however much you can scam a mentally ill rich guy for.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-17, 14:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Apparently it’s worth however much you can scam a mentally ill rich guy for.
You know, that made me think of what the owners/board meeting at Parler was like:
Holy crap! We can actually sell this thing and get out from under it!

¡Damned!

2022-10-17, 14:07

I honestly didn't know this until a few minutes ago (as I was searching for an honest assessment of worth), but the CEO of Parler, George Farmer, is married to none other than Candace Owens... who coincidentally has been seen hanging with Ye lately. It's making so much more sense now.

So it goes.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-10-17, 14:09

From nuts to a flaky nut. Delightful.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-17, 19:17

Heh...
Quote:
Rapper Kanye West told Bloomberg on Monday that he would sit down with Donald Trump this week to recruit the former president to join his newly-purchased social media platform.

West, who now goes by "Ye," also informed the outlet that he would join Trump's Truth Social network as he weighs abandoning Big Tech following his acquisition of Parler. It comes just one week after the controversial rapper met with billionaire Elon Musk.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-10-17, 19:25

So he's looking at a merger? Never been on Truth Social, but it makes sense for the Twitter competition to consolidate.

Gettr, Parler and Truth Social splitting the market means none of them will get enough traction individually.

I want to see a real alternative to Twitter and Facebook. I would really like some sort of system where I could control my data and social posts personally and hook into different platforms with some kind of blockchainy magic.

But until then, I guess we're condemned to play My Billionaire is Better Than Yours.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-17, 20:16

That is the thing about this that puts me firmly in the "I don't care" category. All social media wants my data to sell. Why should I hand it over to them for the fun of posting about my latest bathroom trip or replicating someone else because I'm completely unimaginative and just have to "re-tweet".

I think better alternatives would be better for the users though.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-10-17, 21:29

The best solution to social media is to not use it, at all. Your mental health will improve.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-18, 10:19

Exactly.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-10-18, 10:29

Here's to the Crazy Ones! LOL...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-11-05, 13:59

Something fun, something CRAZY.

Ross Chastain pulls a video game move in a NASCAR race at Marthasville.

https://youtu.be/qO8VkI1iZ7M

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-11-05, 15:01

NASCAR 2005 player from what I saw in interviews, was a trick from right out of the game.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-11-06, 22:45

Commodordion

https://youtu.be/EBCYvoC4muc

Anonymous Coward

2022-11-09, 21:01

Sentencing details for the couple convicted of selling Naval nuclear propulsion secrets. The wife was judged to be in charge of the operation and received a longer sentence than the officer.

Prosecutors sought a long sentence for the husband and a very short sentence for the wife. The (female) judge issued sentences longer that that requested by the prosecution.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-11-10, 12:59

I cannot even believe how honest the foreign government was for contacting the U.S. immediately! I suspect the Brazilians knew how dangerous these two would be for the entire world, not just the U.S.! Kudos to whomever it was. And kudos to the judge for setting a harsh example. Literally billions of people could suffer and/or die as a result of such things. In a nuclear world, the status quo must be maintained, lest some nut job push the magic button thinking they have the upper hand. The last thing 7.5 billion humans need is for secrets like these to make it into the hands of someone like Putin, or the Chinese, or any other nation hell-bent on world domination.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)