Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

It's Freaking hot!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
It's Freaking hot!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-07-29, 23:25

Yeah. Somebody should try frying an egg on the sidewalk. (With heat comes boredom)
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2006-07-30, 00:00

I'm from Texas. I'm used to it. I always find it funny when people from the North complain about heat. Just as funny as when we complain about how cold it gets. 50 ºF in Texas is FREEZING. lol.

Deal with it.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-07-30, 00:01

Dude, It was 100 here. Minnesota. It's not supposed to get that hot here.
sirnick4
I was knighted

2006-07-30, 00:16

I know that. I never said you should expect it to get hot. I was merely saying that I'm used to it being hot down here, just like how you are used to it being cold up there.

Different regions of the country will complain about different climates they are not used to.

I hate when it gets down in the teens in Austin. It doesn't happen much. It's a pain in the ass. I'd rather it be... oh, maybe a 100

Deal with it.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-07-30, 00:20

It was back when I was a kid. I recall several summers with high temps and humidity, especially back in the early/mid 80s. Conversely, we've also had some mild winters too. We've just been spoiled up here over the past decade or so.

Anyway, as the old saying goes, it ain't the heat, it's the humidity. The dewpoints are in the low 70s with temps near or at 100 during the day. At night, it feels the same. And so, needless to say, it's putting me in a grouchy mood. (Compounding this, I don't live in an air conditioned building, hence the reason I'm up at this time of night.)

Speaking of Texas, is this what Houston's like?
sirnick4
I was knighted

2006-07-30, 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan

Speaking of Texas, is this what Houston's like?

The Houston humidity is the crappiest thing in the world. It is the ONLY thing I hate about the city (I've lived here my whole life. I'm in Austin b/c of college). In Houston, I will walk outside and feel stickier than used gum on concrete. It is utterly ridiculous.

Deal with it.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2006-07-30, 01:00

guys i have you all beat. Its been 122 degrees like nearly every day now in July here in Kuwait. Its actually higher then 122 but the government keeps it at 122 because if its any higher according to the law we shouldn't be working. fuck frying an egg on the sidewalk, get me some prime steak and i will grill them for you on our side walk

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-30, 01:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
the government keeps it at 122
And to think I believed that the government-controlled doomsday weather-control system thing was a bunch of hogwash!
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2006-07-30, 01:52

August is like dustorm month. The weather becomes really bad, its like fog but its made up of sand. Here is a picture I took last year out of my window.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-07-30, 10:15

In the immortal words of Paris Hilton.

"That's Hot"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-30, 10:58

Two weeks ago, we had 96-100 temps for about a week solid, with about 8,000% humidity. It was truly miserable. If you just LOOKED out the window, you started to sweat. Not enough showers in the world to keep you feeling clean and comfy in this weather.

The heat lately has gone back down to a more normal mid-upper 80's (and low 90's), but the humidity is still completely off the charts.

You know it's going to be a rough day when you go to get in your car to go to work - and the sun isn't even really up fully - and your pits and back are already a bit damp from sweat in the 30-40 feet you walk to your car. Kinda makes you dread the rest of the day...

"If it's this lousy at 7:00am, what's 2:00pm gonna be like?!?"

Ugh.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-07-30, 12:44

Actually I've been living out in my pool, which has been really, really nice to have this year. Last year sucked.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-30, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Actually I've been living out in my pool,
Aren't you starting to get a little wrinkly?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-07-30, 12:50

I come out every 20 minutes or so to get another beer, at least when my harem isn't there to do it for me.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-30, 12:59

Yep. Sounds like Wrinkle City to me!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-07-30, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept

Yep. Sounds like Wrinkle City to me!
Now now, no need to be coy. I'm sure there will be an opening in the harem eventually. I'll call you.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-07-30, 13:07

Windswept-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headline on Star Tribune
A local Minnesotan's whereabout unknown-- A giant pink raisin found in his pool
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-30, 13:11

^^^

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-30, 13:19

Quote:
Now now, no need to be coy. I'm sure there will be an opening in the harem eventually. I'll call you.
You must have a latent death wish then, because if I were to spend more than, say, ten minutes in the general vicinity of your smart remarks - i.e. in the Land of Virgo Supreme - I'm afraid you'd never leave that pool alive.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-07-30, 13:22

Ahhhhh! Windswept's angry!!! Runnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-07-30, 13:24

My parents have been sleeping at my grandparents' house because our house's air conditioner recently broke. Meanwhile I'm sleeping in the basement with a fan ten inches from my face.

I was outside a grand total of ten minutes today and I'm all sweaty and gross. Ugh.

Oh and for all you Texans and Arizonans telling us to quit whining, I might point out that the heat indexes in Minnesota are currently higher than the heat indexes in your respective states. I was just looking at a weather map and most of Minnesota is in the 100s while most of Texas and Arizona is in the 90s. It does look like South Dakota has it even worse, though.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-07-30, 13:27

Man, I wish I was back in California. At least the Bay has a *dry* heat.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-07-30, 13:28

More info-
Quote:
Originally Posted by The full article
When police arrived at the scene, they immediately arrested a young man who seems to be dancing jovially over his cousin's presumed demise. The names cannot be released until next of kins are notified. The man allegedly denied his involvement in disappearance of the local Minnesota. Sergrant Peppers said, "This is ridiculous notion; he is saying that his cousin turned into a raisin. Considering that he was called pussy by his cousin for puking at work, he is our prime suspect. We're going to commit him." Furthermore to make thing even more baffling, investigator has discovered that pink raisin seems to be holding a powerbook. Apparently, the local Minnesotan was surfing the website called AppleNova, a forums for Mac users. If anyone has information, please contact the police.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-07-30, 13:33

Quote:
You must have a latent death wish then, because if I were to spend more than, say, ten minutes in the general vicinity of your smart remarks - i.e. in the Land of Virgo Supreme - I'm afraid you'd never leave that pool alive.
You're assuming I wouldn't just die of a heart attack after seeing you in your swimsuit.

At this point I'm assuming you're either as attractive as you claim to be or a man. The shock of seeing either one might be too much in this heat.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-07-30, 13:40

Zing?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-30, 13:49

Quote:
You're assuming I wouldn't just die of a heart attack after seeing you in your swimsuit.

Okay, now *that's* a plan!

I would have accomplished your demise, and I wouldn't even have to worry about doing time for (justifiable) homicide, as in the other instance.
Quote:
At this point I'm assuming you're either as attractive as you claim to be or a man. The shock of seeing either one might be too much in this heat.
Yeah, you guessed it. I definitely am a man.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-07-30, 14:12

Ah, it's been a little nicer today (84°F and 61% relative humidity in my room) than it was a few days ago (high 80's-90's and 75%+)... I'm finally getting used to the summer heat, although I've spent most of my waking hours today with a window fan blasting my face and a stone cutting board (which I stick in the freezer every night) between my boxer-clad legs and the iBook.

There's 2 window AC units in my house; one is in my parents' room, and one is downstairs. I would go down there where it's 74ish and drier, but then I would have to deal with lots of people walking around and making noise... not really worth the tradeoff when it's peaceful and sunny in my room.

I think I'll spend the afternoon reading Digg, hanging out with some friends (who are even boreder than I am), snacking on reheated bacon, and looking for ways to make money (I need 6 bucks for the movies tomorrow).

Later this evening when it's cooler, I think I'll go for a 15-mile bike ride.

God I love summer.

You ask me for a hamburger.

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2006-07-30 at 14:20.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-07-30, 14:14

Quote:
Best advice I ever heard regarding being online: "Until proven otherwise, assume everyone looks like Abe Vigoda. Especially the women."
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-07-30, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Man, I wish I was back in California. At least the Bay has a *dry* heat.
*Dry*?!? Try Eastern WA state - sagebrush and rattlesnakes. If the humidity hits 20%, people complain that it's muggy. 100deg there is almost pleasant. (Just stay out of the direct sun and drink *lots* of water.)
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-07-30, 14:27

Quote:
Crazy talk, it's not like that's ever come up in discussion with any of us before.

It's not like any of us have you named Carl in our iChat buddy lists or anything. Honey.