Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Watching DVDs on the Mac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Watching DVDs on the Mac
soma

2006-09-28, 04:15

Hi,
I could probably answer this myself but unfortunately my iMac has yet to turn up almost 2 weeks since I ordered it!!

Just a little query about quality of DVD's when played over a mac (specifically iMac and monitor). My PC doesn't do a bad job but occasionally 'stick's and the colours are not all together perfect. Am I to expect a jump in performance when using mac software (iDVD etc)/hardware?
Not a biggy but I'd like to hear opinions on this.
Many thanks.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-09-28, 04:34

The only notorious 'issue' I've had with watching DVDs on macs in general has been poor audio syncing. However, this was an older issue that has been mostly fixed(?). It's been a while since I watched a DVD on my powerbook, but I do not remember anything significant that hurt the experience.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-09-28, 08:24

Mac OS X hasn't had any notable DVD playback issues since 10.2, if I recall correctly. For the past few years, I've had no problems with DVD playback on a Power Mac G4, PowerBook, or MacBook.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
soma

2006-09-28, 09:27

Thanks folks...I was expecting notification today that delivery would be in line for tomorrow...that's looking increasingly unlikely now
Was all set to test out a DVD with an accompanying 6 pack this weekend, but this won't to be. Would be useful for when the kids get up too early also
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-09-28, 09:32

No problems with watching DVDs on Mac. One of the really unsung features of a Mac is the simple yet brilliant DVD Software out of the box, no cyberDVD or whatever else is needed on XP, just pop it in and it starts.
soma

2006-09-28, 11:10

Good - thanks Farenheit.