User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Vacation! (Things to do in Seattle?)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Vacation! (Things to do in Seattle?)
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2010-01-24, 15:32

Hey y'all. I've just booked flights to visit Seattle in May. Going to visit rasmits who is now back living there. I'm looking for any recommendations from other people on things to do... off the beaten track and such. (That is assuming of course that many people here have actually been!). I'm going for a week, so visit to Vancouver B.C. may be on the cards, but not sure yet.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-01-24, 16:18

Seattle is a nice city, not a ton of things to do, IMO, you could go to the original Starbucks, and walk around downtown, maybe go on the underground tour of the old city.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-01-24, 16:19

In Seattle: Experience Music Project/SciFi Museum and Hall of Fame

In Vancouver: Wreck Beach

Plan on a full day for each, at least.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2010-01-24, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Seattle is a nice city, not a ton of things to do, IMO, you could go to the original Starbucks, and walk around downtown, maybe go on the underground tour of the old city.
Those three are already on the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiousuburb View Post
I was looking at that last night... seems pretty darned cool

Now as for that beach....
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-24, 16:34

Go out to Mt. Rainier for a day.
bmorley

2010-01-24, 16:40

If you want to do the tour thing, the Seattle Duck Tour is kind of fun. My brother lives outside of the city and that is one of the things we did the first time I was out there. Kind of cheesy but fun.
Partial
Stallion

2010-01-24, 17:24

The whole fish market area. It's pretty cool. I also enjoyed fishing on pudget sound.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-01-24, 19:23

Seattle is nice. I think the Space Needle is overpriced, but kind of obligitary. Experience Music is a cool building, but I have no idea what the stuff inside is supposed to achieve....

Pike Place market is worth visiting for the fish-throwing stuff, and the Seattle Art Museum looks cool.

If you do go to Vancouver, PM me and I'll take you for a beer.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-01-24, 22:22

I've been hearing great things about the Seattle Sounders games. They had a great first season this year and have become a model for how an MLS expansion team should operate, which is exactly why the Philadelphia Union pretty much copied that formula.

I have Seattle on my list of cities to visit eventually. Have a great time Turby.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2010-01-25, 02:13

What other people said, plus (but not limited to):

Take a ferry ride. It's only $7 round trip per person (pay going westbound), and probably the best way to watch a sunset.

Since you'll be here in May you can choose between a Sounders game or a baseball game. If you do go to a Sounders game buy your tickets now, since they'll sell out fast. Baseball tickets are cheaper in general, and you should be able to buy one at the gate.

If you have time for a day trip, Mount Rainier, Mount Saint Helens, and Hurricane Ridge (in the Olympic Mountains) are all well worth it. Vancouver BC and Portland are a little bit farther away than these.

The Museum of Flight is pretty much Boeing's really big garage where they keep old airplanes and stuff.

It might be worthwhile for you to buy a CityPass, which gives cheaper access to a few touristy things.

Most museums in town are free on the first Thursday of each month, so if your trip overlaps that then you can save a bit of money.

Speaking of saving money, we have a train to the airport now, so don't waste money on a taxi to downtown.

The Ballard Locks are also pretty cool.

If you need internet access or don't have an iPhone, most coffee shops (of which there are a ton—literally, two one each side of a block in downtown) have free WiFi. Otherwise, this is the closest Apple store to downtown.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2010-02-09, 17:26

This is kinda random, but I've always wanted to go to San Francisco. I've seen a return flight from Seattle for just under £100 arriving at 8am and leaving at 8pm. Is that enough time to do anything there at all?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-02-09, 17:28

Hey! I'll be there during your visit now!
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-02-09, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
This is kinda random, but I've always wanted to go to San Francisco. I've seen a return flight from Seattle for just under £100 arriving at 8am and leaving at 8pm. Is that enough time to do anything there at all?
Yeah, definitely. There's so much to do, it will probably be hard to choose. The good ol' standbys are Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, Golden Gate Park, China Town, and North Beach. If you're feeling less touristy, just wander around the city, itself.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2010-02-09, 17:43

Oh Noes! I'll be the same place as Chuckaha Norris! Chuckaha doesn't study for doctorates. Ph.D. students study him.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2010-05-19, 02:46

Today is the day. If it were yesterday or the day before I would have been thwarted by the volcano. Did I mention that I'm flying with Icelandair via Reykjavik?