AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Anyone watching Fringe?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone watching Fringe?
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-02-07, 01:59

Did anyone see this past week's episode?
It seems that the revelation about....

Spoiler (click to toggle):

Peter being stolen from the other side by Walter has been verified, now that Olivia has had her "powers" restored.

...so, like, this is getting kind of fun!!

And shouldn't this thread be renamed "Fringe - Season 2" or whatevs?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
addabox
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 02:53

What, you guys aren't into Nordic Ice Goddesses? No love for Olivia? I heart me some Walter, but I could stare raptly at that woman a lot. And I would like to thank the writers from last season for contriving to get her out of her clothes and into a sensory deprivation tank.

And it really doesn't hurt that she has a kind of odd quality. These days, I'll meet any show halfway if they're willing to cast people other than Gossip Girl sex baby clones.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-02-07, 03:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Did anyone see this past week's episode?
It seems that the revelation about....

Peter being stolen from the other side by Walter has been verified, now that Olivia has had her "powers" restored.

...so, like, this is getting kind of fun!!

And shouldn't this thread be renamed "Fringe - Season 2" or whatevs?

I thought the Peter thing was more or less confirmed as an open secret a while ago.. But it was good to have it 100% confirmed in a way we knew was coming from part way through that episode....

Fringe is awesome. And yes, addabox, both Olivia and Walter have special but very different places in my "heart".

I laugh so hard at some of the things Walter says and does. At the beginning of this episode just gone when he was excited about going to New York because "He'd never won anything before" I laughed out loud. So funny!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Last edited by scratt : 2010-02-07 at 03:32.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 03:20

I love this show. Got turned onto it last year. The first episode I saw started with Olivia's car getting smashed, but Olivia was nowhere to be found. Then 15 minutes later she got ejected through the windshield. I was all like... whoa.

Anyway I'm addicted to it now. Really cool stuff.

It freaked me out when I realized Peter was the Peter from the other side. And he apparently doesn't even know it.
scratt
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 03:43

btw Did anyone notice that the first episode of this season was a previously un-aired episode from last season as the male FBI agent (forget his name) who appeared in it was already dead in this reality.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
addabox
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 03:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
btw Did anyone notice that the first episode of this season was a previously un-aired episode from last season as the male FBI agent (forget his name) who appeared in it was already dead in this reality.
Hey yeah, I did notice that. I just assumed it was a rerun of an episode I hadn't seen.

My favorite Walter moment to date is when he takes up with his former test subject, who is hilariously happy to just jump right back into esoteric brain experiments. Walter has to ask Peter if he can use the car and if he can have some money, like a nervous adolescent. When Peter gives him the OK and slips him some cash, his face lights up and yells over to his date "He says it's OK!"

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 09:46

Quote:
Exactly. I saw Charlie and thought, "What the shit? Isn't this guy dead?"

I thoroughly enjoy Fringe and really hope it doesn't go the way of Dollhouse, TSCC, et cetera. But we shall see...

Walter Bishop is hilarious and I love the cross, confused faces Astrid gives him.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 11:24

Quote:
Aired out of sequence. Fox execs seem to have problems understanding consecutive numbers.
scratt
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Aired out of sequence. Fox execs seem to have problems understanding consecutive numbers.
Yeah. The fun thing about it was I spent the first 5 minutes watching it trying to see if he had the scar, because his character is probably coming back (in some way) as we've seen his "other" self in even earlier episodes.

Once I'd decided it wasn't that I was disappointed. Thought it would be a nice twist to have us in the alternate reality for an episode and that be the clue... So then I had to hit the internets to investigate and found the article about it being previously un-aired and them thinking "what the heck" let's put it out anyway. A little bit insulting.. but what the hey.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 13:38

Quote:
A little bit insulting.. but what the hey.
You expected anything else from Fox? Remember what they did with Firefly? It had a large story arc, and yet they not only aired the episodes out of order, they aired the pilot *LAST*.

W. T. F.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-02-07, 15:10

Crack is whack.

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 16:15

I think Fringe is becoming the show I most look forward to watching every week now. The characters and the actors who play them are really good. Walter especially, he's hilarious.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 16:30

Walter is my role model.
addabox
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 19:14

I wonder why TV sci-fi writers and producers seem to have such a hard time figuring out that shows with memorable, quirky, interesting characters stand a better chance of decent ratings than shows with cookie cutter models acting "intense"? "Flash Forward" was a grim slog of a thing for precisely this reason-- nobody thought to people it with at least a few people we might have an outside chance of liking?

For my money, the jury's still out on SGU on those grounds: everyone is either a sort of a dick, so grim and driven as to be repulsive, features breasts, or is the Viewer Nerd Stand In. Just imagine how much better that show would be with a Walter or Olivia or Peter. Just someone to relate to with a likable, recognizably human perspective. Yes, I know it's intended to "dark" in the BSG manner, but that doesn't mean you can't give your characters a little room to live and breath. Honestly, if I were trapped on that ship with those people I would have gone on a killing spree by now.

scratt
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 22:23

SGU is only good for me because it's spaceship based and because of Carlyle. I have always found all of the various series to be be disappointing compared to the original movie. Poles apart.

The senators daughter is just a cookie cutter version of Pantierre in Heroes or Jack's daughter in 24. Can't act, flat characters, presented purely as a bit of supposed eye candy and having enough irritating character flaws to identify with most adolescent viewers. So I guess it has something to do with my age. But frankly I spend most episodes rooting for them to die... horribly. Which is particularly frustrating when someone like Panatierre cannot die!!

The rest of the characters in SGU are shallow and irritating, pretty much like most of the characters in 24 or Heroes. I suppose Lou Diamond Philips is fun to hate, but that's about it.

Heroes I watch plainly and simply for Silar and the Japanese stuff so I can see how badly they've done the subtitles!!
24 I watch for Chloe.

I know Lost has it's detractors, but it is a breath of fresh air right now. The characters and story drive that and it makes me realise how badly we've been suffering with Heroes.

I like the concept of Fast Forward, and the jury is still out for me, but I can see it getting irritating...

Which brings us right back to Fringe. All the characters are interesting..... and fun.

Like Kick, Walter is my role model.
Olivia is a girl who can actually kick ass.
And even the support characters have some dimension. Great stuff.
Chuck in the odd appearance by Nimoy and how can you possibly complain!!

jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2010-02-07, 22:34

This show continues to grow on me. . . Walter is awesome.
¡Damned!

2010-02-07, 22:59

I saw tat "Manhattan" was spelled with only none L, then I s6taretd to freak out, and then the show got me, and i realized that thet show is fron yhe alt past..
It got me forthge minute though.

I dsont like this show.

So it goes.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-02-07, 23:08

That's because you're drunk, man...

Have another beer!
¡Damned!

2010-02-07, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
That's because you're drunk, man...

Have another beer!
I wasn't wehn i saw it. And besidess, I've never liekd the shoqw or that horesefacesd chick anyways,

So nthere.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-04-24, 00:40

The girl shape-shifter in last nights episode (219) was played by the daughter of someone I work with. Looks like an interesting show...but I have a bad feeling I've kind of spoiled it for myself by watching that episode
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-05-05, 18:42

You guys like that last episode? The 40s noir episode? I thought it was pretty great.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2010-05-06, 02:27

Quote:
SGU is only good for me because it's spaceship based and because of Carlyle. I have always found all of the various series to be be disappointing compared to the original movie. Poles apart.
I actually signed up over at syfy forums to complain about SGU. I'm still watching it but that episode where they landed on the planet with the obelisk and found a mysterious robot on the ship but instead decided to spend the episode discussing TJs baby made me angry!

Caprica is complete crap, I won't be watching it when it comes back unless I hear from other people that the show has completely turned around.

It's sad but Fringe is probably the best scifi on TV right now, WTF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
You guys like that last episode? The 40s noir episode? I thought it was pretty great.
I thought it was just filler myself. As far as I could tell it didn't appreciably advance the story arc which was getting pretty good. I stopped watching Lost in season 2 when they started doing 2 filler episodes to every 1 story episode, hopefully Fringe stays on track.
scratt
Veteran Member

2010-05-06, 02:35

I have a real soft spot for the Fringe characters overall. Particularly Dr.Bishop and his drug escapades. So I tolerated that episode, and did quite enjoy it once it got into its stride. I spent a lot of the episode trying to get my head around whether it was a bizarre catch up episode, or an allegory of what had happened, and would happen, between Peter and Walter in upcoming episodes. It was kind of a mix of everything. Nicely executed. But totally unnecessary.

If any other series had done it I would have been pissed. But I'll give them a pass.
It was interesting to note that Nimoy, who has already said he is retiring, and only did Fringe as payback for Star Trek, did not appear in the episode. Instead they used CG. So I tend to think there were some politics behind this episode, and perhaps it was a filler, or someone's experiment. Because if it was relevant in any way then Nimoy would have got involved.

I agree very strongly with much of what you've sad AsLan^.
Caprica was good when they got into the virtual worlds. But the robot and the girl trapped inside are just gormless and irritating. Most of the characters are.

I need them to fast forward to some stuff I give a damn about.

AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2010-05-06, 03:11

Quote:
If any other series had done it I would have been pissed. But I'll give them a pass.
Oh definitely a pass, there really hasn't been too much filler in Fringe (almost none that I can think of off the top of my head but I remember thinking the same thing about a couple of episodes).

Quote:
I agree very strongly with much of what you've sad AsLan^.
Caprica was good when they got into the virtual worlds. But the robot and the girl trapped inside are just gormless and irritating. Most of the characters are.
Those two brats are "rebellious" to the point of ridiculousness and totally unbelievable. Who gets trapped inside a robot body and doesn't want their parents for love and support, even child abuse victims love their parents more than robot girl does.

And whats with virtual girl killing her father in VR before even sitting down for coffee or virtual dinner, whatever normal people do after they're reunited with a loved one after being separated.

I was hoping they would get to stuff I give a damn about but I realized there really isn't anything, not in the world they've created anyway.
scratt
Veteran Member

2010-05-06, 03:25

Yes. Exactly. It's almost as if it has actually been written by the adolescent characters themselves.

Bring on the Cylon rebellion and some spaceships and I might be interested!

AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2010-05-06, 03:32

Hell yes!
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2010-05-07, 11:10

Great episode of Fringe today...

How many different Walters do you think will come into play?

There is the desolate world that is falling apart (which I believe the agents are from). There is the world where our Walter stole Peter from (possibly the same world that is now falling apart, although making the leap from regular 1980s type technology to shapeshifting in 30 years is pretty hard to swallow). And then there is the world where William Bell lives, I think it's different and should have it's own Walter too.

Anyway, great episode

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2010-05-07, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsLan^ View Post
Great episode of Fringe today...

How many different Walters do you think will come into play?

There is the desolate world that is falling apart (which I believe the agents are from). There is the world where our Walter stole Peter from (possibly the same world that is now falling apart, although making the leap from regular 1980s type technology to shapeshifting in 30 years is pretty hard to swallow). And then there is the world where William Bell lives, I think it's different and should have it's own Walter too.

Anyway, great episode

That was pretty crazy....

I had no idea about Walter until he was getting ready to come in to see Peter and the guys said "right in here Mr. Secretary" and suddenly I knew that the mysterious Secretary was going to be Alt-Walt, even before he stepped into the room.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2010-05-08, 03:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
That was pretty crazy....

I had no idea about Walter until he was getting ready to come in to see Peter and the guys said "right in here Mr. Secretary" and suddenly I knew that the mysterious Secretary was going to be Alt-Walt, even before he stepped into the room.
I thought he was going to be Bell and the plot would end up being something like multi-universe battle between the Bells and Walts. It possibly could still be but perhaps I've got the sides wrong, the Bells are the good guys and the Walters are the villains.
scratt
Veteran Member

2010-05-08, 05:52

I also thought it was going to be Bell. Took me totally by surprise that it was Walter. Can't wait to see how the two Walters behave when faced with each other! What a complex set of characters and scenes for one guy to have to play!