User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Michael Jackson rushed to hospital in cardiac arrest (update: dead at age 50)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Michael Jackson rushed to hospital in cardiac arrest (update: dead at age 50)
Page 1 of 12 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-06-25, 16:22

Twitter's going ballistic. That's where I go for news when something pops up and the "majors" like CNN aren't on it yet. Hundreds of updates per second, it's ridiculous.

All I can find officially so far: http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,4138163.story

Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- Pop star Michael Jackson has been taken to UCLA Medical Center by ambulance suffering from cardiac arrest, fire officials confirm.

Los Angeles Fire Department Captain Steve Ruda said paramedics responded to a 911 call at Jackson's home around 12:26 p.m. He was not breathing when they arrived. The paramedics performed CPR and took him to UCLA Medical Center, Ruda says

Last edited by PKIDelirium : 2009-06-25 at 17:43. Reason: Updated title
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-06-25, 16:27

Holy crap!

It's so hard to think of him as a grown-man, and, therefore, "heart attack material".

My initial reaction was "he's so young". But he's 50!

It's on CNN and others now. Must have some truth behind it (vs. a Twitter prank).

Who knows.

Not a good day (week?) to be an iconic celebrity.

Yikes...

Could I engage in a slight bit of speculation (and hope it doesn't come across too cynical or doubting)? Isn't he prepping for some big shows in the UK? I seem to recall this happening once before, a "collapse" prior to some big gigs (or a tour), several years ago. Is the man low/desperate enough to try and stir up some PR and interest via a "medical emergency"?

Before you go and call me an a-hole, just think back on all he's done, and how he's lived this life (that weirdo "fame/attention bubble", etc.) and ask yourself..."is it possible?"

I'm 50/50, to be honest.

I'll believe the heavy stuff if/when we hear a doctor or hospital spokesman confirm it. As it stands, it's entirely possible he just got himself worked up (pre-tour nerves?) and had some sort of panic attack, or hyperventilated and, being Michael Jackson, the medical teams were called in.

I don't know.

Heart attack? He's so thin, and in (I assume) good physical shape (not talking about his outer appearance, of course). But all that dancing and stuff? Sounds so strange. The last thing I would've expected.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2009-06-25 at 16:38.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-06-25, 16:39

Maybe he found out Diana Ross has a terminal illness or worse, won't speak to him anymore, and he couldn't take it.

The scary thing is she looks more like a man than he does now.

I won't post pictures of "the king". Trust me: if you haven't seen his phony chin dimple and rotting nose cartilage lately, you won't be hungry for dinner.

...into the light of a dark black night.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-06-25, 16:46

Some of the Tweets are claiming it was caused by a drug overdose, possibly intentional, but we're talking about Twitter here, you never know what's bullshit and what's not.

Some more official info on Yahoo: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090625/en_nm/us_jackson

KTLA's server is fucked, takes forever to load.

Edit: CNN now: http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Musi...son/index.html

Twitter just EXPLODED with claims he's dead, but nothing official.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-06-25, 16:47

They always come in threes...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-06-25, 16:49

I was thinking that earlier, with news of Farrah's passing. Ed McMahon, Farrah and...?

TMZ says he died.

Same with Drudge.

I'm not championing these sites (I know the "baggage" associated with both), but they often tend to get early word on things...

Just sayin'.

EDIT: The Drudge thing is merely linking to TMZ, so that's really just one "source".

On CNN (TV) they're making no mention of it. Still talking about "condition unknown", etc. But it's confirmed he was rushed to the hospital, in distress, etc. Had to be revived upon arrival, just now on CNN.
@_@ Artman

2009-06-25, 16:51

Michael Jackson Dies

Quote:
Posted Jun 25th 2009 5:20PM by TMZ Staff

We've just learned Michael Jackson has died. He was 50.

Michael suffered a cardiac arrest earlier this afternoon and paramedics were unable to revive him. We're told when paramedics arrived Jackson had no pulse and they never got a pulse back.

Michael is survived by three children: Michael Joseph Jackson, Jr., Paris Michael Katherine Jackson and Prince "Blanket" Michael Jackson II.

Jackson had 13 number one hits during his solo career.

Story developing...
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-06-25, 16:52

Twitter and TMZ are claiming he died, nothing on official sources yet. Man, the internets is like EXPLODING now, and it's on all the cable channels.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-06-25, 16:54

I foresee a spike in the CD sales soon. I hope he's okay, I dig moonwalker.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-06-25, 16:58

The rumors of his death makes me think of him in Thriller, returning as a zombie.

Does that makes me a bad person?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-06-25, 16:58

Twitter just crapped out again, it's getting hammered.

KTLA is slow, but a little more info. No confirmation he's died on any official source yet: http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,4138163.story
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-06-25, 16:59

It was for the best if true. If ever there was a tortured soul in this world who just wanted to be someone else....
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-06-25, 17:00

TMZ are such ghouls. They've reported his death, doing the whole "live in review" bit, etc.

Are they just making crap up? That's a pretty big crow to eat if they're completely wrong.

Why would they do that?

Their credibility (as it were) would be shot for any future stories like this.
Jerman

2009-06-25, 17:03

Such great talent, but such a sad story. For years I have been hoping for what I knew would never happen: That he would get his life together. Here's to hoping the rumors are not true.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-06-25, 17:05

Honestly his life was a total wreck as I understand it. The whole bankruptcy and ranch in disrepair thing kind of signaled the beginning of a major downhill slide IMO. Maybe it's all BS and he survives but this was not a happy soul as I said and he's done so much to his face and body that it's hard to see how rehabilitation of any kind could even be possible. Every day you wake up and look in the mirror and are reminded of all your past mistakes and bad memories. There is no way for this man to have "a fresh start". He's ruined himself.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-06-25, 17:06

Those London shows were slated to begin July 8, a 50-night stand at the O2(?) arena, they just said on CNN (TV).

TMZ isn't budging from their report. They're talking about LaToya bolting from the hospital after he was pronounced, etc.

Some people on CNN - reporters on the scene and industry types - keep referencing him in the past-tense.

Odd.

A medical correspondent on CNN explained the difference between "cardiac arrest" and "heart attack". Cardiac arrest being "stoppage", and there's usually a 10-minute window to work with. I keep hearing he was unresponsive when personnel arrived and was the same way at the hospital.

If we're talking 10-20 minutes, then yeah...it's possible. Don't know when the 911 call went out (and how long it took for the EMTs to arrive).

Could be a suicide? Or even an accidental Heath Ledger scenario (too many pills, and they mixed bad).
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-06-25, 17:12

Updated 2 minutes ago, nothing new: http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Musi...son/index.html

KTLA just buckled under the traffic load.

Quote:
Safari can’t open the page “http://ktla.com/” because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again.
Yahoo's "omg" tabloid site is now echoing the TMZ report: http://omg.yahoo.com/news/pop-star-m...eport/24333?nc
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-06-25, 17:16

LA Times is reporting he's in a coma...

Quote:
Pop star Michael Jackson is in a coma and his family is arriving at his bedside, a law enforcement source told The Times.

Jackson was rushed to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center this afternoon by Los Angeles Fire Department paramedics.

Fire Capt. Steve Ruda said paramedics responded to a call at Jackson's home at 12:26 p.m. He was not breathing when they arrived. The paramedics performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation and took him to the hospital, Ruda told The Times.

The home is about 2 1/2 miles, about a six-minute drive, from UCLA Medical Center.
Six-plus minutes without oxygen or depleted oxygen to the brain....
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-06-25, 17:19

They're now updating the same blog, saying he has been pronounced dead......

Quote:
Pop star Michael Jackson was pronounced dead by doctors this afternoon after arriving at a hospital in a deep coma, city and law enforcement sources told The Times.
Cue massive urban over-reaction and hysterical weeping, as if people have lost their own mothers....

Well at least he's at peace now (hopefully).

PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-06-25, 17:22

CNN now updating to say coma as well.

Edit: KTLA saying dead: http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,4138163.story
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-06-25, 17:23

To reiterate in case of cross-posts... LA Times is confirming that he has been pronounced dead.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-06-25, 17:25

CNN (TV) is running about 10-15 minutes behind the Internet. They're just now, 1-2 minutes ago, mentioning the coma thing. Which means, if he has indeed died, they won't say it on TV for another 10-15 minutes.

EDIT: Wolf Blitzer has just said that the L.A. Times and CBS have confirmed he has indeed died. CNN hasn't confirmed, Blitzer states...

Maybe TMZ knew what was what?

Sad to think, but it's sounding true.

Or they just rolled the dice.

EDIT: AP just confirmed death.

Damn.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-06-25, 17:34

CNN's front page still says coma, but they've updated the article: http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Musi...son/index.html
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-06-25, 17:34

Am I a bad person for anticipating the Onion's take on this?

Honestly, the best I can say is... a tortured soul at peace, finally. The rest probably falls well under the "too soon" banner.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-06-25, 17:38

That's pretty much the way I feel about it. We should change the thread title to reflect his confirmed passing, so there aren't two threads in here.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2009-06-25, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Am I a bad person for anticipating the Onion's take on this?

Honestly, the best I can say is... a tortured soul at peace, finally. The rest probably falls well under the "too soon" banner.
No, that doesn't make you a bad person. Just one with a sick sense of humor like me.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
At least the little boys are safer. Someone had to say it. EDIT: Yes, I know it's too soon.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-06-25, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
No, that doesn't make you a bad person. Just one with a sick sense of humor like me.

At least the little boys are safer. Someone had to say it.
I'm waiting for him to rise in three days and take his rightful place as Zombie King. (And yes, it has to be three days. It's The Law. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flPiX5D4oKk Wow, it's even the right day of the week.) What say we go grab a pint and let these folks mourn in peace?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-06-25, 17:42

Updated the title.

Edit: Damn, it didn't stick.
feidhlim1986

2009-06-25, 17:44

Sky News TV are confirming his death after being in a coma. (the website havent updated with the news tho) I'm watching it live
Hassan i Sabbah

2009-06-25, 17:45

BBC just confirmed it. ..