AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Freaking Twitter... someone help.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Freaking Twitter... someone help.
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-04-28, 11:39

Got Nutshell giving me a follow-quit email every morning. Seems to catch [most changes] so far. Thanks Kieran.

Another question about DM. Can you DM someone who is not following you? IOW not in the pop-up list on the DM page? Could I just go

@John_Doe Yo doe what it is?

And know that it will show up in that person's inbox?

...into the light of a dark black night.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2010-04-28, 11:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Got Nutshell giving me a follow-quit email every morning. Seems to catch [most changes] so far. Thanks Kieran.

Another question about DM. Can you DM someone who is not following you? IOW not in the pop-up list on the DM page? Could I just go

@John_Doe Yo doe what it is?

And know that it will show up in that person's inbox?
Doing that is a reply, it'll show up in their mention tab not their inbox. You can only DM people following you so as to try and reduce spam. As far as I know you don't have to be following them though.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-04-28, 13:24

You can send a DM to someone who is following you, but they can't DM you back if you're not following them.

Glad you like Nutshell. It keeps me informed of who is quitting on me every day. If it's people that I want to stay around, I know that I'm doing something "wrong" Otherwise, I could care less who decides to stop following me.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-04-28, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
Doing that is a reply, it'll show up in their mention tab not their inbox. You can only DM people following you so as to try and reduce spam. As far as I know you don't have to be following them though.
Mention tab... I've heard of this before but never actually found / seen it. Is it private or can anyone read the comments in a person's mention tab?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-04-28, 13:47

I don't think so, but, it will appear in your timeline so it is open for the world to see.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-04-28, 13:59

Are you using Twitter.com to tweet Moogs? If so, look down the right side of the page, you'll see where it says "@Moogs" or w/e your twitter name is. That's where the mentions go. Mentions don't show up in your general timeline unless you're following the person who mentioned you.

Some clients, like Tweetie have a section marked with an "@" symbol. That's where mentions go in clients.

You can search mentions for anyone by just doing a search for "@(whatevernameyouwanttosearchfor" on Twitter or even in a client. Tweetie shows a user's mentions right from their profile. Pretty cool.

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2010-04-28, 13:59

Quote:
Mention tab... I've heard of this before but never actually found / seen it. Is it private or can anyone read the comments in a person's mention tab?
It's not available publicly on someone else's twitter.com page, but it is party of the API and most twitter clients allow you to read the mentions on other people's names. The same goes with their favorites, though that is available on their twitter.com page.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-04-28, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Are you using Twitter.com to tweet Moogs? If so, look down the right side of the page, you'll see where it says "@Moogs" or w/e your twitter name is. That's where the mentions go. Mentions don't show up in your general timeline unless you're following the person who mentioned you.
AH! You sir are a Tweet-genius. I never even clicked that thing. Twitter really needs to evolve its UI a little bit along with the filtering stuff we talked about a while back. Hopefully they'll sex it up a bit one of these days.

So it sounds like bottom line, I can't DM this person. I'll just have to reply to them in the normal flow and hope they respond.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-04-28, 19:00

I wouldn't say I'm a Twitter genius, just that I know a lot because I spend a lot of time on Twitter.

If you don't want to use a desktop client, you should try out Seesmic Web. Much better than Twitter.com for a web based client. There are columns you can use to see your timeline, your mentions, and you could even keep up a search term in another column so that you always see what's new. It's definitely the best web based way to Tweet.

And as far as DM'ing that person, if they're following you, you'll be able to, otherwise, an @ reply should be able to get their attention.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-04-28, 19:44

Yah I do all my Tweets from the desktop. Don't have a smart phone so it's all the old fashioned way.
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2010-04-28, 20:22

Quote:
Yah I do all my Tweets from the desktop. Don't have a smart phone so it's all the old fashioned way.
There is a way you can do tweets from your cell phone, but I think you have opt in to it through the site options - I don't remember at the moment, but it can be convenient when you want to post something AFK or if you want to follow a certain tweeter when on the road (score bots and sports writers, for example).

Of course, you have to be following the people in question, and you have to have opted in to the cell phone portion of the service, and...yeah. But it's not too complicated once you figure it out!

Guess our wishes don't do dishes or brake repairs...
Twitter | Flickr | last.fm | PSN: TheLittleDoctor
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-04-28, 21:42

If you're using the web all of the time Moogs, definitely give Seesmic Web a look.

Seesmic Web

Much better than Twitter.com.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-05-29, 12:18

Two part question. Tried Seesmic in advance of asking this, and it was sort of giving me what I wanted (a long view of all my old retweets and tweets), but then it crashed Safari.

Here's my question: any app out there that makes it relatively easy to go back to the early tweets and remove mentions and RT for things no longer relevant / people who no longer follow you, etc? Seesmic's pop-up menu on each post doesn't seem to have a delete option anyway...

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-06-14, 09:25

Any reason why, when I woke up this morning I'm about 600 tweets short of where I was yesterday? Has this ever happened to anyone?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-06-14, 09:26

Never been short, but a few months ago, my Tweet count jumped up to like 35,000. They fixed it, but it lasted for a few days.

Just an issue with Twitter.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-06-14, 10:02

OK. Was hoping that's what it was but the fact that it was less and not more, scared me a bit. Didn't see anything unusual posted recently or deleted so hopefully my acct wasn't hacked or anything. Guess Twitter is one of those services where you have to change your password once a month to be safe.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-08-04, 14:51

So, I've been trying to use Twitter for a bit now, and I've realised today what the problem is.

I like Twitter and the basic concept. But I hate the Twitter Social Conventions.

ie:
I hate hashtag "games."
I hate it when people tag their tweet with hashtags that no-one else is ever going to use. eg: " #iwantthem #youmightto"
I hate fucking Foursquare. Which will only ever become useful should I need to assassinate one of my Twitter followees.
I particularly hate "Follow Friday" which produces more garbage tweets than I can think of.
I really, really hate it when people add "tw" to the start of other words in an attempt to be cutesy. eg: "Tweeple"

So, I dunno. I don't really have a problem with Twitter, just the people on it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-08-04, 14:59

You're following the wrong people then Bryson.

For Follow Friday, I've adopted a policy of unfollowing anybody who just lists a bunch of names w/o any reasoning as to why I should be following them.

The hashtags are annoying, but sometimes they're fun. Usually the same people doing it, so just unfollow thenm.

The best part of Twitter is that you pick who you want to follow. If you don't like what they're doing, just unfollow.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-08-04, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
So, I dunno. I don't really have a problem with Twitter, just the people on it.
You're pretending it's one coherent group. I don't much care for follow Friday, but I've had a Twitter account since early '07, and regularly use it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-04, 15:06

Well, it would be nothing with Kanye West's presence:

Quote:
Hans Zimmer needs to write a score for whenever I eat a cookie. when I eat cookies shit is mad suspenseful

My only question would be: is he talking about literally eating a cookie (an Oreo, some sort of Keebler variety, etc.), or is this a street/ghetto/hipster euphemism for...well, you know.

Either way, the fact that he considers the shit "mad suspenseful" is kinda funny. And weird.
¡Damned!

2010-08-04, 15:47

At least he makes the comics in The New Yorker funny. Finally.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-04, 15:51

I saw that the other day. In fact, that's what spurred me to go look at his Twitter page (or whatever it's called) because, believe me, there is zero reason for me to be going there otherwise.

"Let's see how goofy these things are...".

Yep, pretty goofy. He's, um...quite a thing.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-08-04, 16:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Well, it would be nothing with Kanye West's presence:

(Hans Zimmer cookie quote)

My only question would be: is he talking about literally eating a cookie (an Oreo, some sort of Keebler variety, etc.), or is this a street/ghetto/hipster euphemism for...well, you know.

Either way, the fact that he considers the shit "mad suspenseful" is kinda funny. And weird.
Kanye West didn't write that, he was retweeting somebody else (user "azizansari," or...Aziz Ansari, the comedian). When he first set up a Twitter account (surprisingly late!), "#predictingkanyetweets" was a trending topic "game." Everybody was jokingly tweeting all the Kanye-ish things he would tweet. He actually retweeted some of the funnier ones (so at least he can laugh at himself a little, I guess?).

Here's an actual Kanye tweet:

I think Twitter was designed specifically with me in mind just my humble opinion hahhhahaaaahaaa humble hahahahhahaahaaaa

Although my favorite is "Classical music is tight yo," which I retweeted.

Not, like, trying to defend Mr. West or anything. I'm not really a fan. But he didn't write the Hans Zimmer cookie thing.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-04, 17:09

Fair enough. I don't know how all that shit works. It sure sounded like something stupid enough for him to say.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-08-04, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
You're pretending it's one coherent group. I don't much care for follow Friday, but I've had a Twitter account since early '07, and regularly use it.

Or I'm generalising. Replace "the people on it" with "most of the people on it" and that should serve.

Quote:
For Follow Friday, I've adopted a policy of unfollowing anybody who just lists a bunch of names w/o any reasoning as to why I should be following them.
I think the time may have come for that one. Shame - they're people I like and respect in the real world, but are occasionally irritating on Twitter.

I think maybe the key would be to have a Twitter client with customizable filters.
noleli2

2010-08-05, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I hate it when people tag their tweet with hashtags that no-one else is ever going to use. eg: " #iwantthem #youmightto"
I'm guilty of this one, but I see them the same way as I see emoticons: they add tonality to my tweets and make my intent more clear. I also use them to make fun of myself. And now that I look at it, I tend to use them in that way much more frequently from my private (and therefore more snarky and sarcastic) account.

Examples:
Quote:
Venturing out to Warwick for Trader Joe's and cheap oatmeal, then yoga. #boringtweet
Quote:
New Englanders are weird; they actually like baseball. #where'smyhockey,eh?
Quote:
Hours of entertainment: Put a folder in the dock. Open it up. Then double-press the home button. Repeatedly. Again. #ishouldgotosleep
Quote:
How am I supposed to network/job search on Twitter when I'm not "supposed" to be job searching? #collapsedcontexts
The last one is particularly interesting because I'm using the hashtag to point out that I know the term used by sociotechnical ethnographers to describe my predicament.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-09-16, 14:57

[vent]Twitter is a fucking POS sometimes. I still can't get over how incredibly unreliable their network and general data security is. Still feels like a beta.

Yesterday I lost dozens of @ mentions from business partners (at least AFAICT they're gone) and today I cleaned out less than 20 DM from my inbox and sent box and my count dropped by about 50. This is horse shit.

Not hard to believe it's a company run by 24 year olds or whatever the guy is. Please guys, ramp up your systems tech, get some people in there who know how to handle this stuff and make this a real business platform for networking. Right now it's pretty close to being a joke IMO.

For fun stuff, A-OK. Who cares if you lose some mentions, RT or DM. Business... this stuff is unacceptable.[/vent]

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-09-16, 20:13

Quote:
...dozens of @ mentions from business partners... For fun stuff, A-OK. Who cares if you lose some mentions, RT or DM. Business... this stuff is unacceptable.
Sorry, but I just see this as more reason that social networks should be used for socializing, not as a marketing and business platform. These kinds of sites are not utility companies, aiming for six or more nines of uptime, and they surely aren't marketed as such.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.