User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Yoga?
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-03-11, 01:45

So Spring Break is heading towards its unfortunate conclusion, and as with the end of any break in school I want to jump back into the swing of things and be as productive as possible. One thing on my agenda is to pick up Yoga. My motivation comes from two parts: one is that I'm finishing up reading Outliers and one line in particular about cultural inheritance struck me: something like "he who rises before dawn 360 days a year does not fail to feed his family." While I don't think I'll be that extreme, I would like to wake up a bit earlier than 20 minutes before my morning classes during the week... and I want to fill that newfound time with something productive.

So Yoga. I play club volleyball and enjoy most sports in general, but flexibility has never been a strength of mine. I've never been able to touch my toes and 2 years ago I took a fitness test (my roommate was getting qualified to be a personal trainer and had to do a bunch of them so I got it for free... basically a test of your strength, endurance, body fat %, flexibility... stuff like that) and scored in the 20th percentile for flexibility. Yeah. (got over 95th for all the other categories though...). Anyway, I figure that's something I could work on and could help me in other athletic endeavors.

So, Yoga. Who here does it? How long have you done it? How do you do it? Class, private instruction, Wii Fit, DVD, internet, book? What's a good way to ease myself into it? My plan is to start doing yoga for 20-30 minutes every morning following a jog or light strength building (pushups/pull ups/abs - no weights probably). Thoughts?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-03-11, 06:56

Find a class. It'll help motivation. If you know what I mean.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-03-11, 09:01

Find a yoga chick girlfriend. You'll never make it to a class. If you know what I mean.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2010-03-11, 09:36

My yoga story.

Freshmen year in college a had a friend and she was having a real tough time adjusting to college. She starting seeing a therapist who suggested to her that she do Yoga. She was afraid to go out there and do it (which is odd because now she can never stfu). I told her I'd go with her if she would do it. When I started it I couldn't touch my toes, and was completely inflexible. By the time I finished I could touch my toes (I'm 6'6" and that is the first time since I like 8th grade that I could do that).

We were both in college so they had free hour sessions with a trainer at the school "health center." It is very relaxing, and it pretty beneficial. If you ever have any back pain it can help a lot.

And All That Could Have Been
BenP

2010-03-11, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKrzyzewski View Post
So Spring Break is heading towards its unfortunate conclusion, and as with the end of any break in school I want to jump back into the swing of things and be as productive as possible. One thing on my agenda is to pick up Yoga. My motivation comes from two parts: one is that I'm finishing up reading Outliers and one line in particular about cultural inheritance struck me: something like "he who rises before dawn 360 days a year does not fail to feed his family." While I don't think I'll be that extreme, I would like to wake up a bit earlier than 20 minutes before my morning classes during the week... and I want to fill that newfound time with something productive.

So Yoga. I play club volleyball and enjoy most sports in general, but flexibility has never been a strength of mine. I've never been able to touch my toes and 2 years ago I took a fitness test (my roommate was getting qualified to be a personal trainer and had to do a bunch of them so I got it for free... basically a test of your strength, endurance, body fat %, flexibility... stuff like that) and scored in the 20th percentile for flexibility. Yeah. (got over 95th for all the other categories though...). Anyway, I figure that's something I could work on and could help me in other athletic endeavors.

So, Yoga. Who here does it? How long have you done it? How do you do it? Class, private instruction, Wii Fit, DVD, internet, book? What's a good way to ease myself into it? My plan is to start doing yoga for 20-30 minutes every morning following a jog or light strength building (pushups/pull ups/abs - no weights probably). Thoughts?
You in Cville for spring break? I have a friend who took me to a hot yoga class downtown at Bikram Charlottesville once. It's pretty intense for yoga (at least compared to what I expected), but give it a shot for one class and see what you think. You need to bring a yoga mat and a towel and water, and don't talk once you're in the actual hot room. Also you're not allowed water until the instructor says so, and you're not allowed at the earliest class for your first time (I think earliest is like 6:30 or something though).
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-03-12, 21:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenP View Post
You in Cville for spring break? I have a friend who took me to a hot yoga class downtown at Bikram Charlottesville once. It's pretty intense for yoga (at least compared to what I expected), but give it a shot for one class and see what you think. You need to bring a yoga mat and a towel and water, and don't talk once you're in the actual hot room. Also you're not allowed water until the instructor says so, and you're not allowed at the earliest class for your first time (I think earliest is like 6:30 or something though).
If I can find a friend to go with me I might consider this. thanks.