Veteran Member

2010-10-13, 09:35

Huzzah! Last I checked it was $300.88.

Onward to $400...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-10-13, 11:12

Yeah. Um. What else to say? I'm holding on to my AAPL until I retire. I only wish I had put the money we used as a down payment on our house a couple of years ago into AAPL. Not really, but damn. That would have been sweet. We could have bought our house outright today. Ah well.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Wrao
Yarp

2010-10-13, 11:28

Yeah, this is crazy, and it is very difficult to see anything that can really stop it. Though I fully expect we'll see it dip down to the mid 200s again, I think the mid 300s is entirely likely within the next year.

Truly a once-in-a-lifetime stock.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2010-10-13, 18:53

I'm worried because I have too many eggs in one AAPL basket - I'm fortunate to have bought low, but I need to do some profit taking and diversify.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-10-13, 19:35

There is no guarantee of any stock value. Apple has weathered the recession fairly well which is one of the reasons for the recent rise, but as soon as other stocks which actively pay dividends start to appear safer, its value will decrease. Stockholders don't buy parts of companies as much as they buy the likelihood of making money. Aapl's principle value keeps increasing but it doesn't pay dividends which makes it unattractive for long term ownership unless you are just playing around.

I have seen my money triple with aapl, but during the same period I have seen my mutual fund increase in value, due to reinvestment of the dividend, the same amount.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-10-13, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Apple has weathered the recession fairly well which is one of the reasons for the recent rise, but as soon as other stocks which actively pay dividends start to appear safer, its value will decrease.
I'm not sure what you mean by "value". Price? P/E? The current P/E is 22, which is surprisingly low for a company that still appears to be growing. To be honest, I think the market is still undervaluing Apple, and if we weren't just coming out of a recession, the stock probably would have been around $400 by now.
Partial
Stallion

2010-10-13, 22:41

So, you guys think it's still a good time to buy? I have about 20k sitting around that I should really do something with.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-10-13, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
So, you guys think it's still a good time to buy? I have about 20k sitting around that I should really do something with.
Honestly, it would probably be better to split half of that into a cd and the other half into a blue chip stock like GE.

To ezkcdude -- sorry, yes value is too close to valuation, i meant stock price.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2010-10-13 at 23:14.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-10-13, 23:37

Quote:
This depends on a lot of factors, but most importantly, your age, income, and aversion to or predilection for risk. In general the younger you are, the riskier you should be. One thing you might want to look into is an ETF that indexes the market, such as QQQQ which indexes NASDAQ. NASDAQ is heavily weighted toward tech companies like Apple, Google, etc.

Even though Apple feels like it's in the nosebleed section now, I disagree with billybob and think it is still a good buy. The forward P/E is only 16. That's way too low for an "it" company like Apple. When this economy really starts picking up within a year or two, my hunch is that P/E will creep up to 30, which will put the stock around $800. It might split before that obviously. Of course, this is my speculation. DYODD and certainly don't put your nest egg into one stock.

EDIT: Apparently, the same advice I gave back in April.

Quote:
The P/E is still at a market average of around 20, so I think it's still a good time to buy, especially if you're looking at holding for 3-5 years.

Last edited by ezkcdude : 2010-10-13 at 23:47.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-10-15, 08:26

Google's not doing too bad lately either. Up $60 (10%) in pre-market today.
Partial
Stallion

2010-10-18, 10:20

Bought myself a nice chunk of AAPL today at 318.50. Wanted to get in at 301 but it took some time to get money to the appropriate places. Oh well. Everybody on Yahoo Finance is saying this is a great buy!

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-10-18, 10:35

Quote:
Bought myself a nice chunk of AAPL today at 318.50. Wanted to get in at 301 but it took some time to get money to the appropriate places. Oh well. Everybody on Yahoo Finance is saying this is a great buy!
well, getting in before the earnings today, eh? Let's see what happens...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-10-18, 13:08

Shoulda waited til after earnings, IMHO. They're going to report great numbers but the stock has run up so much lately, it's going to drop some. Just my opinion, of course.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-18, 13:16

I wanted to buy some at 314.15 and have Apple Pi.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2010-10-18, 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Shoulda waited til after earnings, IMHO. They're going to report great numbers but the stock has run up so much lately, it's going to drop some. Just my opinion, of course.
Yup. Buy the rumor sell the news.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-10-18, 13:22

It will be very interesting to see how many iPads were sold. The analysts expect 4.75M on average, with a low of 4.5M and high 5.7M. If it falls somewhere in that range, I don't expect to see the stock move too much. Below that range, the stock could fall 10 points or more. If sales are above 6M, watch out. Stock could surge again.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-10-18, 15:34

iPad sales came in at 4.1M, so quite a bit lower than expected. Partial, you should've waited.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-10-18, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
iPad sales came in at 4.1M, so quite a bit lower than expected. Partial, you should've waited.
At the same time, they sold 14.1 million iPhones when analysts were expecting 11 million. I think it'll be a wash at the end of the day, with some people cashing out and others buying in.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-10-18, 15:50

Of note, "Asia Pacific" revenues are up 157% year-over-year (iPhone in China, anyone?). For Japan, it's "only" 121%; for Europe, 69%.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-10-18, 15:52

Now that trading has resumed, the stock dropped below $300 temporarily. We'll see some volatility tonight and tomorrow morning, I think. But, long-term, hold on to your positions.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-10-18, 15:56

Looks like I called it. I'm not selling here, though.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-10-18, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Looks like I called it. I'm not selling here, though.
It'd be nuts to sell now. $20 ago, maybe. But this is the worst of it. If I can scrounge up the money, I might actually buy now.
Partial
Stallion

2010-10-18, 16:00

Why would you guys consider selling when they just crushed analysts' estimates? I don't quite understand why it would go down, but I'm still confident it is going to go up big time. iPad is about to get a lot more compelling with a dual core processor and better display (assuming they do go these routes) and iPhone 4 is about to blow up CDMA style.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Apple-...&asset=&ccode=

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-10-18, 16:02

Quote:
Why would you guys consider selling when they just crushed analysts' estimates?
I think I just said I wouldn't sell. Or was I speaking gibberish?
Partial
Stallion

2010-10-18, 16:05

I mispoke there. What I wanted to say was why the doom and gloom? You seemed to be alluding to that it was underwhelming, where as Tori pointed out they crushed the estimates on their profit machine (iPhone).

Doing some research on this type of fluctation and trading basics as we speak. I'm a total n00b to this kind of stuff as I let ING manage my 401k and have my roth managed funds as well. My basis for buying right now was reading articles here, Apple Insider and general perception that Apple is blowing up.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-10-18, 16:18

Quote:
I mispoke there. What I wanted to say was why the doom and gloom? You seemed to be alluding to that it was underwhelming, where as Tori pointed out they crushed the estimates on their profit machine (iPhone).
You're reading something that's not there. All I said was they missed on iPad sales.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-18, 16:34

I'm still happy with iPad sales. I mean, they've doubled their computer sales with one product, and I think the iPad is going to prove a lot more "giftable" than Macs, going into Q1. Not bad for a product Apple had to make people want.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-10-18, 18:06

No doubt. The iPad is going to be huge. They've sold 8 million in 6 months. That's a ~$10 billion/year product out of nowhere. The market got a little overheated but there's no reason to be concerned about this report.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-10-18, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
The market got a little overheated but there's no reason to be concerned about this report.
I think that the sales are mind blowing when you consider that the iPad is just a baby with relatively baby features. When this thing becomes full-blown, it will shatter these early-on numbers, as you pretty much said.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-18, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh View Post
I think that the sales are mind blowing when you consider that the iPad is just a baby with relatively baby features. When this thing becomes full-blown, it will shatter these early-on numbers, as you pretty much said.
I think a lot of people are already waiting for the iPad 2, even though it's ~6 months away. People want FaceTime and more storage. And Verizon!

But of course way more people will buy one for the holidays.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong