Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Cashout Cove Marketplace!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Cashout Cove Marketplace!
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2013-07-17, 18:31

Sell and trade your extra loot here, one and all!

Since we can't gift cash-monies yet, let's start with trading.

I need coal blocks, and since they're so friggin dear to make I'll trade anyone that's using their coal for burning purposes 2 stacks of charcoal for 1 stack of coal. Double your burning pleasure!

Also, I've been enchanting books instead of tools proper, so I have some tool enchantments I'd be willing to sell off. Efficiency II I'll sell for 2 stacks of coal, Efficiency IV for 4 stacks. Also, I have a Sharpness II that I'll sell for 2 stacks (or make me an offer on this one).

I'll put the books outside my house in a chest in case anyone's interested, plus the 2 for 1 charcoal. Swap the trade coal back into the chest. Honor system, of course, because easy.

Thanks! I feel like this commerce thing will be fun.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2013-07-17 at 18:43.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-17, 23:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Since we can't gift cash-monies yet, let's start with trading.
See the /pay command.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-07-17, 23:14

You mean the "mined" coal? I haz some. I'll happily trade you because I'm young and stupid and don't build much anyhow.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-17, 23:30

Yeah, mined coal can be crafted onto coal blocks. Charcoal cooked from logs cannot.

As a result of this discovery, a few of us have been conserving all mined coal and using only charcoal for torches, cooking, etc.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2013-07-18, 10:05

So you want to use it just as a building material? Not as a super-efficient smelting fuel?
¡Damned!

2013-07-18, 12:13

It's not really that efficient as a block. It only adds another 8 burning units as a block to the 72 units (9 coal) needed to make it. Plus, the downside to that is you have to babysit your furnace and keep it stocked, otherwise you lose those burning units (furnace holds 64 max).

So it goes.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2013-07-18, 12:25

Hoppers can take away the need to babysit.
¡Damned!

2013-07-18, 12:34

But you lose that sweet, sweet XP using hoppers.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-18, 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
But you lose that sweet, sweet XP using hoppers.
I might as well use hoppers and screw the XP. I have enough Fire Protection III books for a lifetime.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-07-18, 21:17

I need to learn about these hoppers. Sound useful.

I'm open to buying/selling things in game.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-21, 01:14

So... we have an actual marketplace now for buying items back from the server. The prices aren't quite set in stone yet (I need to revise them after some sleep) and some key items are missing, but the basics are working.

The booths are themed to represent the items available there for purchase. To buy an item from the server, right-click the appropriate sign.

Some prices will be deliberately inflated. This is to encourage normal resource gathering in favor of sitting in front of a cobblestone generator and cashing out periodically.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-07-21, 01:16

Go to bed, Brad, you're a capitalist!!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-21, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
So... we have an actual marketplace now for buying items back from the server.
After some sleep, I think I may revise the pricing strategy. Renewable resources will have a relatively larger markup and non-renewable items will be priced more reasonably but take into account rarity, difficulty to obtain, etc. Some easy to find renewable resources won't even be available for sale. So, you'll be better off farming your own food, for example, but if you need some diamonds, the price should be reasonable enough to at least consider buying instead of disregarding and going straight to bedrock.

Decisions, decisions...

¡Damned!

2013-07-27, 12:42

Unsellable items...

Mostly food stuffs, but a few other ones I've noticed as well:

• Raw Beef, Steak
• Raw Pork, Porkchops
• Raw Chicken, Cooked Chicken
• Carrot
• Potato, Baked Potato, Poisonous Potato
• Melon Slices, Melon
• Melon Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds
• Flint
• Spider Eye
• Ender Pearl
• Nether Brick (the cooked Netherrack)
• Glass Panes
• Wooden Stairs and Slabs
• Cobblestone Wall

Not that everything has to be sellable, but things like Flint and Wooden Stairs/Slabs should be in there if possible.

Melons might be a difficult one to price. If a full melon is the same as a pumpkin ($5) that would mean that slices should run around .50¢ (since it takes 9 to make a full melon), but since a slice can make one seed, and wheat seeds are $1 a piece, that would be off. Seeds seem like they're overpriced anyways imo... maybe .50¢ would be more in line?

Glass panes are another weird one. Maybe $1 since it takes $18 worth of glass to make 16 pieces?

Anything else out there that's not on the list?

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2013-07-27 at 12:57.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-07-27, 13:38

I'm not sure the food should be sellable, as it's a 100% renewable resource and the industrial farmers could soon amass more money than they could ever spend.
¡Damned!

2013-07-27, 15:29

That's a good point, but we already have prices for wheat and wheat seeds. Bread too. Maybe we just put a kibosh on any food items?

I could see a freebie stand set up close to the Marketplace for extra seeds and whatnot. Just for people starting out and wanting to make their farms and all. I don't think seeds are sold at the market anyways.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-08-18, 15:08

FWIW, I just added a bunch of stuff to the sellable items list. I can't promise I got everything, but it should cover most of the common drops. If you still find things you expect to be able to sell, post here.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-08-18, 15:13

...or not? Seems the plugin we're using still refuses to sell some items that are configured to be sellable. Maybe it'll pick them up after the next server restart. We'll see.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-28, 22:08

Surprise! The /sell, /worth, /pay, /balance, and /repair commands should be back in working order now.

I've spent some time this evening completely rewriting the /sell price list. The prices now take into account (roughly) the rarity of the item if mined or the total value of the components if crafted. If you notice I've missed an item type that you think should be sellable, post it here. Also, after some hacking around in the raw source code for Bukkit and Essentials, I figured out the (apparently undocumented) way to properly list the items for sale that I couldn't get working previously (like stone steps, carrots, potatoes).

This of course means that I'll have to re-price all of the things currently listed in the marketplace, but that's OK because nobody can buy from the marketplace at the moment anyway.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-12-28, 22:11

I didn't know they weren't working - was in-game and just sold a load of netherrack... didn't even appreciate the work that went into making it work again! (thanks)

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-12-29, 12:23

Thanks for your efforts Brad... i now have a way to eliminate the excess drops coming through the mob trap in a time/resource efficient manner. On that note: could you add glass bottles to the mix of items that can be sold to the server?

I see that Brad has managed to reduce the likelihood of any get rich quick schemes. just to be sure for everyone else, I will still build the ender farm for the purposes of xp generation after the ender dragon is killed.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-29, 15:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Thanks for your efforts Brad... i now have a way to eliminate the excess drops coming through the mob trap in a time/resource efficient manner. On that note: could you add glass bottles to the mix of items that can be sold to the server?
Added!

Quote:
I see that Brad has managed to reduce the likelihood of any get rich quick schemes. just to be sure for everyone else, I will still build the ender farm for the purposes of xp generation after the ender dragon is killed.
That's the idea, at least, though I know it's not much in the way of anyone who broke the bank and cashed out before the upgrade.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2013-12-29, 18:20

AWESOME!!

Thanks, Brad
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-12-29, 21:24

I haz stackz of shinny stuff! WooHoo!

¡Damned!

2014-02-15, 15:42

This isn't so much a Marketplace request, but I was wondering if it would be possible to buy unobtainables like monster spawners/eggs, upcoming barrier blocks, undead/skellie mobs, etc. If it's even something worth considering, I figured the /pay command would just give monies to an an op in return for whatever loot.

I'm not sure if you guys try/want to keep your "personal" balance separate from when you rarely go into creative mode, so that might be an issue. Not sure how to pay for whatever without just transferring cash to another player, but maybe it's not a big deal.

Anyways, could this happen?

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-02-15, 16:08

I'd love the ability to build a specific spawner in a set location.

If/when we next begin anew from a blank world it would be nice to be able to construct an XP grinder in a specific location instead of building around a found location.

First Minecraft World problem, I know.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2014-02-15, 17:39

1.8 looks like it's an optional update for world gens. There's nothing new (so far) that can't be crafted with existing blocks. Sure, if we wanted to carve out another area outside of everyone, that's cool, but it's not necessary to get all the new goodies.

I'd be a *little* afraid of mass mob farming if the spawners were available, but maybe we throttle that by only allowing so many purchases of this sort of thing per user. Or something like that. Bobsky's farm should be enough for any baddie mob drops. Also, by keeping it in the Overlord's hands they can make a decision whether it's practical or not.

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-02-15, 18:23

If we ever get back to defeating the enderdragon, I'd rebuild the xp farm there as well. So there's not much point in having individual xp farms...

If there are questions about the mob trap as such, feel free to ask. It seems like everyone is just assuming it is completely broken, which is hardly the case. It's just that teleporting anywhere near the thing will break the filters -- this is a known minecraft bug caused by the way the game saves redstone when it unloads the chunks.

The best solution is to turn those chunks into 'spawn' chunks using a Bukkit plugin (since Bukkit broke the in-game ability to spread spawn chunks), but the overlords haven't responded to that suggestion, which is why the trap remains closed.
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-02-17, 17:38

Quote:
If we ever get back to defeating the enderdragon, I'd rebuild the xp farm there as well. So there's not much point in having individual xp farms...

If there are questions about the mob trap as such, feel free to ask. It seems like everyone is just assuming it is completely broken, which is hardly the case. It's just that teleporting anywhere near the thing will break the filters -- this is a known minecraft bug caused by the way the game saves redstone when it unloads the chunks.

The best solution is to turn those chunks into 'spawn' chunks using a Bukkit plugin (since Bukkit broke the in-game ability to spread spawn chunks), but the overlords haven't responded to that suggestion, which is why the trap remains closed.
To be absolutely sure, the bug is also present in Bukkit:

https://bukkit.atlassian.net/browse/BUKKIT-3086

Anyway... I suspect defining the area around the mob trap as spawn chunk would fix the problem by allowing the redstone to settle after someone tps in/out, but a real fix would be nice. The problem is fairly complex as a generic redstone circuit will behave differently depending upon the order in which the components were placed (certainly true for very complex circuits, which we are NOT dealing with in the trap), which means saving how the components are engaged is fraught with difficulty. Any rational system to save the state would have to observe the active redstone until it repeats itself (there by giving a model of a state that could be input when the chunk reloads) or reaches some equilibrium state. Unfortunately, the first condition is the more general but it also allows players to usurp the unloading of chunks potentially allowing for large memory requirement expansion. The real issue is that the chunk unloading process is so quick when teleporting that block update registers are not always saved correctly (essentially, seemingly, never).
¡Damned!

2014-02-17, 19:10

I stopped by there a few times this past month to grab bonemeal for Flowerland and sulphur for TNTing 13topia, and honestly, that place is backed up like a Taco Bell addict. The second I removed a stack it got filled almost instantly.

The lesser-loot boxes are almost barren though… sugar, spider eyes, etc. seem like they should have one dedicated chest at most, not 3 double-wides. I get (and appreciate fully ) the want for a full stack of chests, but it'll take forever for those to fill up, no question. That said, I'm not sure that it's necessary to funnel more of the "normal" loot into those spaces. There's more than enough of all of that. I just hate it to be wasted, but whatever. If it's not being grabbed, so be it.

There is still some lag though entering through the portal, and a *death-titch* when you exit (netherrack blockage probably), but it drops loot like crazy.

[edit]: Oh! One last thing - you seriously need to put a crafting bench in there somewhere. I couldn't find a good place for one since it's x2 based, but I briefly thought maybe under the skulls/heads (if that's even possible - I didn't try it since they're all on nice 45ºs)? It was BYOCB for the TNT making, but I think that room could use at least one.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2014-02-17 at 19:30.