AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Minecraft 1.18 (Caves and Cliffs Pt 2) Notes from Minecraft live

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Minecraft 1.18 (Caves and Cliffs Pt 2) Notes from Minecraft live
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2021-12-09, 18:13

Holy moly! It has been a long time.

Brad put a power-stripper underneath the Space Needle.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-10, 10:06

Looks like 1.18.1 is out to save the bees and fix other bugs. I'm going to install the patch now. I'm struggling to find the official readme so I'm relying on other articles. I'm also taking a snapshot of the server in case something goes sideways.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-10, 10:41

Update to 1.18.1 has been completed. I logged in a played a little to ensure all looked normal. Let me know if you see any issues.

Edit: Found the official Readme.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2021-12-10 at 10:52.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-12-19, 19:31

Putting around the server now, and it feels good. I peeked underground in the main part of old Cashout Cove, and wowzers, those new caverns run deep and do appear to have generated pretty cleanly with the existing world! I may have to go spelunking soon.

I also noticed that some of my magic command blocks around the world have broken with recent updates. I guess 1.17 or 1.18 had command some syntax changes. I'll be fixing the "suit up" buttons in my house attic shortly (does anyone else use those?) and will be on the lookout for any other magic command blocks.

Does anyone else here remember where some might be, or have you encountered any that you can confirm to be working or broken?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-20, 14:01

I totally forgot about the buttons! I know there is the remove Creative button under the needle, but that is the only one I recall.

Oh, your shuttle teleporter button. Tardis too right?

¡Damned!

2021-12-22, 12:54

The teleporters and the few 'gib loot' buttons I tried in Bradtropolis worked (Apple Store, Liberty, GB firestation). Maybe it's just the replace-player-garb buttons that broke? There's one next to the CommDepot that I didn't try (the one that gives leather clothing), but I'll give it a shot when I'm on next time.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-12-22, 20:37

I forgot about the all-leather clothing one! I'll have to check that next. Might dismantle it or change its behavior, though. I can't remember why I originally made that one. 🤔

I did check last night:
  • the armoring buttons in the attic of my house behind the money bin - these are the only ones that I think actually broke
  • the buttons scattered around Bradtropolis that give you various items (top floor of the AN building, Statue of Liberty, church lectern)
  • the button under the spawn space needle that set your game mode to survival
  • the very friendly button with the encouraging signs on the path just outside the community exchange
  • the transporter into the shuttle and then into the Enterprise

As far as I could tell, yep, 709 was right! It's only the replace-player-garb buttons that broke. Most of the others like those around Bradtropolis just give you items, and that syntax is unchanged.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2022-01-05, 15:03

So uhh... has anyone else seen a Brad on horseback that isn't Brad on horseback over near the entrance to Bradtropolis? It follows you, then gets bored, then seems to want to interact somehow. Very eerie.

Speaking of Bradtropolis, big thanks to real Brad for rebuilding the bridge that was out for a while - no more swimming across!

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-01-05, 15:18

I am officially an ass!

I went to nuke my super-powers and used the wrong clicker and broke the button.

That's what I get for getting on.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-05, 15:24

Just put the button back on. It should still trigger the block connected to it.

I say this not knowing exactly how it is built of course. YMMV
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-01-05, 15:40

okeedokee

Edit: Yep. I'm mortal, again. Yay me.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-01-05, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
So uhh... has anyone else seen a Brad on horseback that isn't Brad on horseback over near the entrance to Bradtropolis? It follows you, then gets bored, then seems to want to interact somehow. Very eerie.

Quote:
Speaking of Bradtropolis, big thanks to real Brad for rebuilding the bridge that was out for a while - no more swimming across!
It was long overdue!

Speaking of (re)building things, I recently did some sprucing up around the old spawn area...

Bruce's old giant charcoal factory seemed to have stopped working and was badly misbehaving near the end after feeding it a couple stacks of logs. I went inside and spent an hour or so last week debugging, reverse engineering, and slapping up lots of signs to explain what's going on at different stages. Hopefully that can also guide fixes if it ever gets wedged again. All the blocks themselves appeared to be fine. I suspect that maybe the server update or some other restart may have borked the redstone signal in some weird way, and it needed a hard power cycling in a few places. As of a couple days ago, everything in there should be in perfect working order again, including the "item debugger" that rejects the wrong kinds of inputs.

While I was on a redstone tear, I'd been wanting to fix the ancient abandoned cobblestone generator that has been sitting behind the melon arch for basically forever. I did fix it, buuuuut then I quickly scrambled to break it again because the rows of cobblestone it generated quickly shot out and destroyed one side of the melon arch! After sufficiently killing the circuit again, I fixed the arch, and I built a new cobblestone generator alongside the road by the old post office.

I doubt anyone really needs it, but the new cobble generator works pretty well for any not-completely-cheaty-overpowered pickaxes. 😅 Normal pickaxes or ones with a couple enchantments should be fine, but if you have one of the Brad's attic specials, you might whip through cobble faster than it can detect. In that case, there's a reset button to the right of the machine that puts it back in the right place.

And about that attic, I renovated that area too, and I added a few more magic buttons in there to restore health, give food, give rockets, and give torches. I put those in there so I could quickly restock some essentials before going adventuring, but y'all are always welcome to use them too.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-01-06, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I did fix it, buuuuut then I quickly scrambled to break it again because the rows of cobblestone it generated quickly shot out and destroyed one side of the melon arch! After sufficiently killing the circuit again, I fixed the arch, and I built a new cobblestone generator alongside the road by the old post office.
Government 101 right there, folks. Fix one thing, and all the unbroken things get shoved into the gutter.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-01-07, 12:28

I am going to make a statement. If I am wrong, please edubacate me:

Deepslate is useless!

Fortunately, there is plenty of it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-01-07, 12:41

But it makes such pretty black bricks!

And it's a cobblestone replacement for creating stone tools when on a deep mining excursion if you didn't bring enough with you.

I guess that's about it.

¡Damned!

2022-01-07, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Fortunately, there is plenty of it.
You're not wrong about that. I filled up 100+ chests of it just by adding a lower growing-level underneath 'topia, and I'm still some 40 layers above bedrock. It might be my new favorite block type though. Way nicer color than blackstone (for interiors at least).

New underground biomes are pretty nice too - I'm sitting on the edge of a 'lush cave' biome so there's lots of clay to deal with while mining, but the actual caves and greenery are gorgeous.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2022-01-07 at 14:29.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-01-07, 15:12

I guess I'll rope in a bunch. Not like I can avoid the stuff.

All the things …

¡Damned!

2022-01-07, 20:18

I just placing stonecutters everywhere and converted them into bricks, tiles & polished on the fly. Fill shulker box, put in ender chest, repeat.

Note that this doesn't work mining with a silk touch pick. Deepslate on its own can't be turned into anything useful and is one of those blocks that is placed directionally, which is especially annoying since the sides aren't that different from each other.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-01-09, 16:11

709: I have made a "donation" to the rocket museum's sun room (solarium?). I'm not sure if that's the best place for it, though. Have a look and let me know if you might know of a better home for it! I'm happy to relocate/rebuild wherever better suits.

¡Damned!

2022-01-09, 18:04

Ooh nice. I think I probably know what it is (did you have to use the honeycomb block ? ) but I'll be on later and check it out.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-01-09, 18:32

I considered using the honeycomb block! But it was too dark/noisy for my taste. I could be convinced to change it up though.
¡Damned!

2022-01-10, 10:01

It's beautiful, Brad!

Maybe, eventually, someday we might move it... but I like where it is right now.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-01-11, 00:30

I'm glad it meets 709's approval!

Though, after seeing a real-world photo and virtually face-palming at realizing a minor couple of goofs I made, I logged in this evening and made some final adjustments to the thing. Much better now.

¡Damned!

2022-01-22, 20:19

I'm going to move/redo the fish & chips hut that's near bobsky's chicken palace. I was never really happy with it and there's a better place for it now.

So as I was wandering around CC this morning contemplating the above, I found the new TRUE COLD™ experience... Fun! I got trapped in some of that on a mountainside and was lucky to have pearls, otherwise I'd be up there still like some unfortunate Everest soul. It's great to experience it somewhat safely like a reverse sauna.

ALSO, around the White House area I believe I saw the former guy running around holding something? The GA ballots he was looking for? Doctored state elector documents? A 6-3 SCOTUS decision that makes him King of America? I couldn't read it and didn't want to get too close.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-22, 21:13

Quote:
ALSO, around the White House area I believe I saw the former guy running around holding something? The GA ballots he was looking for? Doctored state elector documents? A 6-3 SCOTUS decision that makes him King of America? I couldn't read it and didn't want to get too close.
https://blog.piratepalooza.com/2019/...ips-newcastle/

¡Damned!

2022-02-23, 12:20

For anyone interested in checking out the 2 new underground biomes there's one of each that are easy to get to nearby. The Lush Cave biome can be found by taking the 2-lane road north out of Bradtropolis until it splits (~ 1030, -240), and then taking the stairway all the way down. The Dripstone Cave biome is a little trickier to get to - you have to boat or fly out to the 'glitch' ocean village (~ 1800, 70) and swim down the well. I've put a bubble column in to get back up to the surface, but you'll have to hold your breath some on the way down.

Both areas are unlit (except by glowberries and lava) and au naturel, so be wary of baddies and pitfalls.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2022-03-18, 19:29

Posting notice that I'm rejiggering some of the northern rail system. Hardly any of y'all use it but if somehow you do this week you will likely drop to your death. ♥️

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-03-19, 18:45

Rejigger away!
JolantaAgata

2022-03-26, 09:09

Any required specs for a pc to run this?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-03-26, 17:29

Our server is in Toledo. Will that be a problem?