User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Oops.
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-13, 20:40

I hate smoking. I can't stand it, really. I put up with it at bars and such for social reasons, but I get home and shower immediately, and my clothes go in the hamper.

I don't care how hot a woman is, if she has a cigarette in her fingers, I'm just not interested.

Tonight I tried a clove for the first time.

I'm soooooooooooooooooo fucked.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-04-13, 20:44

lol. wait until it hits your pocket book.
Wraven

2005-04-13, 22:05

Kickaha,
This is easily remedied. You haven't smoked enough (just one clove) to be REALLY addicted, so simply DON'T BUY ANY. That is the part where I think people trip up. If you don't actually buy any, then you can't actually smoke enough for it to become a real problem (since most people would get really f'in tired of you leaching off of them).

Cheers,
Wraven
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-04-13, 22:21

I can live with smoke...you can always shower it off and wash your clothes, but I am not sure I've ever seen a smoker dispose of cigarettes properly on a regular basis.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-04-13, 22:27

I started smoking cloves (never having been impressed by regular cigs).

Ten years of Djarum specials, Gudang Garam (Brown), and various other krakatoa kreteks.

Filters dipped in clove oil for tingly, tasty lips... obscene amounts of nicotine,
but since clove acts as a natural preservative, usually with zero added chemicals
(versus 'regular smokes' which normally have more than 100 nasty things added).

Tough to kick, Kick... trust me.
Soooo tempting. A buzz like six cups of espresso.
nomorewindows

2005-04-13, 22:31

It may be cloves, but you're still smoking, so maybe you don't hate smoking as much as you say you do.

Turn the tables around. What if some hot babe sees you smoking cloves and decides to pass you up?

Let me confess here. I'm a former, though never long term, smoker, so I'm the worst kind. Now I have asthma and allergies, so smoke, even cloves, just kills me. Listen to Wraven, just don't buy them! Save the money for icrack!

"A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other." Baltasar Gracian
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-04-13, 22:42

I had a girlfriend for 6 months. She was great. Shit, we had sex 5-6 times a week for the last 5 1/2 of those months. Good times.

Anyway, she started smoking again. Lots. Dumped her ass to the curb within a month.

Good thing too. Saw her about 5 years later, and she packed on at least 40-50 pounds. On her ass.

I fucking thank those smokes every day.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-13, 23:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorewindows
It may be cloves, but you're still smoking, so maybe you don't hate smoking as much as you say you do.
Actually, that's the ironic thing. I really do hate smoking... cigarettes. Pipes I can handle fine, I even don't mind being around (non-cheap-assed) cigars. Basically, I can handle anything *EXCEPT* the most common form of smoking. :P

But cloves? Had a soft spot in my heart for those for years. Just never tried one until now.

A couple of hours later though, I'm still trying to get the damned aftertaste out of my mouth. :P Maybe that alone will cure me of them. Bleah.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-04-13, 23:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
I can live with smoke...you can always shower it off and wash your clothes, but I am not sure I've ever seen a smoker dispose of cigarettes properly on a regular basis.
I always put my butts in the trash or in a bottle (when I'm at home). I hate littering.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-13, 23:31

Hell, tonight I stomped the butt out, then picked it up and put it in a trash can.

Why the other 50 or so people who left their butts on the ground within 5' of the same trash can couldn't do similarly, I have no idea. Lazy redneck fucks.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-04-13, 23:37

The first thing I thought of when I read your post was my friend who's going through chemo and radiation for stage 4 lung cancer.

Does it really taste that good?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-13, 23:41

Nope.

And my chest hurts like I've been kicked.

Obviously, the short term enjoyment is outweighed by the aftermath, even measured in hours. Bleah.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-04-14, 03:09

Good thing too Kick! I've been tempted to share a social smoke with guests (smokers) who have come over to visit us in the past few months. I used to love the head rush ... but the next day my mouth tasted foul and I ended coughing shit up.

I'm using this thread to remind me what a useless and vile habit smoking is and to abstain from the social smoke. I was just being piss-weak!

All I want is a simple life
twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-04-14, 08:50

This has been the biggest adjustment about moving back to the South. For a decade in SoCal, it seemed no one really smoked. And, if they did, they had to haul their ass outside (restaurants, bars, etc.). It was nice to go to a restaurant and not have to tell the hostess which section you wanted (I don't smoke). And it was REALLY nice to go out for an evening, shoot some pool, have a few beers, watch a band and come home and not smell like a cigarette orgy.

I moved back here a little over two years ago and...ugh.

EVERYBODY smokes, it seems. And in restaurants. And certainly bars and stuff (which is probably the reason I don't go out much to those places anymore).

And I hate the stupid "smoking/non-smoking" divide in restaurants. You walk into a Cracker Barrel, ask for non-smoking and you're still seated about 8 feet from an area where everyone - including the toddlers - are puffing away. What's the amazing, high-tech barrier Cracker Barrel employs to truly divide the two sections?

Why, a piece of lattice board and a big metal vintage "Enjoy Coca-Cola!" sign.

Pure genius, and some amazing technology at work there! I don't smell that smoke AT ALL!

To everyone's credit, it seems more and more places are going smoke-free. I understand - and accept - that bars and certain types of restaurants never will, and that's fine...I don't have to go there if I don't want. But stores and other places that you HAVE to go should definitely be non-smoking.

If Wal-mart wants to have a Smokers Day one weekend a month, fine...

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-14, 09:01

We've got a few of those braniac restaraunt owners here, too Paul.

"Smoking or non?"

"Non"

Then the lady walks us over to a booth, separated by an actual wall that reachs up about 6" beyond the booth... and then nothing. And of course, they are too stupid to pull the fucking curtain thing (which I didn't even know was there) right away. No they have to wait until the asshole on the other side of the wall starts blowing smoke *over* the wall, directly onto my table area.

Wouldn't it be cool if someone invented some magic IQ gum? Just give a piece to anyone with an IQ hovering around 90, and their level of common sense is instantaneously improved!

...into the light of a dark black night.
Random Hero

2005-04-14, 09:17

I used to smoke cloves all the time but then I felt like my lungs were beginning to crystalize, plus they started to taste bad. So I dropped them for cigarettes (weird, huh?)

Oh well. When you live around here you want to die as soon as possible anyways.

No awkward goodbyes. No 'still friends' bullshit. Just a couple of bruised titties and a failed relationship. I rule.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-04-14, 09:19

I despise smoking (althouth the occasional "funny" cig is uumm...ok :smokey: ).
As a former Respiratory Therapist I've seen all the hell people (who have smoked for many years) go through in the years before they die. Just imagine slowly drowning in your own secretions, while gasping for breath constantly and your constant hope is that someone will come into your room and stick a plastic tube down your nose -> into your lungs (quite painful) and suction out the secretions. Lovely thought?

I also live in the South (the state to your left scates) and smoking is way bad here. Aside, I spent 7 years in Boston and smoking is very bad there.
We also have the smoking/non restaurants. I always say NON! When we get to the table I sniff around. If I can smell any smoke (and I have an exceptional sense of smell) I refuse the seat and tell the person to move me and my family to a different seat where I don't have to be forced to smell smoke. There are actually quite a few restaurants that I will not go to, and have told them as much, because of the constant smell of smoke. I've actually gone so far as to write a few of the restaurants and tell them that I spent x number of dollars at their competitors because I don't have to smell smoke at their competitors.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-04-14, 09:25

My favorite is when you have to walk through the smoking section to get to the non-smoking section. Yeah, that solves it.

I hate smoking too, all forms.

Ironically, I moved to the middle of tobacco country. More ironically, the traditional home of Lucky Strike cigarettes has banned smoking in most places, and there are a lot of bars and restaurants that don't allow smoking.

I'm the kind of person whose throat gets scratchy and my eyes water and itch after too much exposure to smoke in any form. I don't lke the smell in most cases anyway (though I do like the smell of burning leaves in the fall -- go figure). I tried a "good" cigar at a friend's wedding one time. My friend was kind enough to cut it down to a stub to begin with, but I couldn't get more than halfway through it. I thought I was going to puke. Hate clove cigs too. Sorry, Kickaha. Nasty shite.

However, I don't like militant anti-smoking attitudes either. I hate it when people show up t a bar and complain about the smoking. I hate it when people complain about it on the street. Of course, there are those people who aren't even considerate enough to blow their exhaust up, and blow it straight into your face. I'll meet you half-way, guys and gals: don't blow that crap in my face, and I won't make a fuss about your smoking.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-04-14, 09:36

I forgot to add that one of the reasons that I refuse to be around smoking is because when I breath in smoke (cig) I can feel my chest getting tight and I have to work a little harder to breath. Strangly enough, not all cig smoke does this to me, but the majority does. Pipe and cigar (as long as the tobacco is good) doesn't give me much of a problem with breathign. Also, after a few minutes of being in a smokey environment my eyes turn red and start watering badly. Then my nose starts running like crazy.
I guess some of this could be because my parents smoked like crazy until I was a teen. Shit, I remember looking up at the ceiling in my parents house and seeing a 1 foot layer of smoke hovering up there.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-04-14, 09:37

Fellas - I was going to say "count your blessings that you have the option", but I can tell that in your area it is a fruitless gesture.

By way of contrast, in China there are no offers of smoking or non-smoking sections. Almost everybody smokes ... and with gusto too I might add - it's almost a national past-time. Go to a restaurant and the folks are puffing away during the meal, even while some at the table are yet to finish. It's ludicrous!

If there's one thing that I really miss in Australia, it is the fresh air and smoke free restaurants and bars! (OK - that was technically two things)

All I want is a simple life
twitter
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-04-14, 09:43

i'm a smoker. thought i'm currently trying to quit. but i think some of you people are just whiny babies. its not like the smell of smoke will kill you.

cloves always seemed horrid to me. tried them a few times, but i never much cared for em. cigars and cigarettes for me. and the oft weed.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-04-14, 09:43

Good post, BuonRotto. That's pretty much how I feel about it all.

I hate smoking, but I'm not militant or obnoxious about it. Meet me halfway, people. You make an effort not to blow it into my face, and I won't bust you in the mouth. Cool? We can all get along fine...

Seriously, I'd never walk into a bar and get all righteous and uppity about the smoke. That's just idiotic (and probably an express ticket to a 9-on-1 assbeating). I know that if I want to go out for an evening to certain types of places, that's just part of it. I don't HAVE to go.

I'll make that choice, depending on what I feel like and the situation.

Bars, certain restaurants (Hooters, theme places, "party" or sports type establishments), titty clubs, swinger parties ( ), outside, etc....smoke away, I don't care.

But fast food, retail, public transportation, theaters, my house, etc...no way.

That's fair and reasonable, I think.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-14, 09:45

kretara: you probably have an allergy to cigarette smoke, based on the description of what happens when you have to inhale / be around second hand smoke.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-04-14, 10:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Bars, certain restaurants (Hooters, theme places, "party" or sports type establishments), titty clubs, swinger parties ( ), outside, etc....smoke away, I don't care.
whoah - STOP THIS THREAD NOW ... scates - give us all the down and dirty on your swinger parties!
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-04-14, 10:33

Swingers!
Fooboy

2005-04-14, 10:38

I know you might not believe me ... but I've never smoked *anything* ... I used to run track and cross country in High School and we'd go 7-10 miles a day monday - friday. I just grew to appreciate my lungs too much. That was several years ago (I graduated High School in 2000), but I am still really athletic and I just hate the thought of clogging up my OXYGEN INTAKE!

Some people couldn't run a mile to save their life, hacking and barfing ... cramps. Haha. My best mile was 4:45 ... those were the days.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-04-14, 10:45

Hey, I agree. I don't smoke either, but have been working out pretty hard since the beginning of the year to get back in shape (after a brutally sedentary 2004) and I was shocked at how hard running had become. It's amazing how fast you lose that. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been if I was a pack a day smoker.
Wraven

2005-04-14, 10:51

Fooboy,
Taking this thread off course, how is your powerbook treating you?
Fooboy

2005-04-14, 11:01

It is awesome ... I get new Apple converts every day as well. When I take it to campus, I totally sell people on it. One friend, after I closed my powerbook demonstration, said "The next computer I get, is going to be a powerbook, hands down."

I am really pumped about tiger as well (already ordered) ... as I hear Tiger squeezes a lot more performance out of powerbooks.

You know, Ha, I am going to go run a mile today at the track and see what I time. I'll let you guys know how poorly it goes. I want to aim for 5:30-45.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-04-14, 11:03

I recently read a statistic that said at my age (18 years old) it takes over a year to get addicted to smoking. I just recently started, but I cannot tolerate clove cigarettes. After having 2, my stomach makes me wanna punch myself - its the worst pain I get from anything... but they do taste better...

User formally known as Sh0eWax