User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

error/problem with software update/iPod Driver 3.1 Update

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
error/problem with software update/iPod Driver 3.1 Update
Nullpunkt

Send a message via ICQ to Nullpunkt Send a message via AIM to Nullpunkt Send a message via MSN to Nullpunkt Send a message via Yahoo to Nullpunkt  
2005-01-26, 12:00

Okay, here's the specs for the machine in question:

500 Mhz PowerPC G3 (100mhz bus speed)
256K L2 Cache
iMac - version 32.14
128 MB RAM
OS X 10.2.8 (6R73)

and here's the problem:

while using Software Update to attempt to download the iPod Driver 3.1 (the one necessary to use the iPod Shuffle) Update, SU partially downloads the program, and then the SU App "unexpectedly quits" after a partial download.

Naturally, i would have no problem with this, as i can go to the Apple software downloads site and find the update I'm looking for, but with this particular one... no dice.

I also ran into the same problem when trying to download the Security Update released yesterday, but was lucky enough to find it on the Apple site...

Is it possible there's a problem with my SU app?

any and all help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance, all...

-M-
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-01-26, 12:02

repair permissions... etc. etc. bla bla.

Get back to us if you've done all that..
Nullpunkt

Send a message via ICQ to Nullpunkt Send a message via AIM to Nullpunkt Send a message via MSN to Nullpunkt Send a message via Yahoo to Nullpunkt  
2005-01-26, 12:22

ok forgive me if i'm not the most technically inclined mac-o-lyte....

but i do that how?

(and yes, i already went to the help menu in finder to try and figure it out...)
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-01-26, 12:32

Sorry, sometimes we forget that not everyone is as geeky as some of us are.

To repair permissions:

Open your Hard Drive, applications, utilities, Disk Utility, in the upper left hand corner of the window there will be two hard drives listed (assuming you only have one physical hard drive and it is not partitioned). Select your hard drive (whatever you've named it, not the model number...I think) and click on "Repair Disk Permissions."

Now for the super geeky way...if you care. Open your hard drive, applications, utilities, Terminal. Type this:
Code:
diskutil repairpermissions /
Also empty your caches as these have the tendency to cause problems. Go to your home folder, library, caches, and in the Caches folder, trash EVERYTHING. Yes, it seems odd, if you've never done it there will be thousands of files in there that take up a relatively small amount of space. Make sure you trash everything in that folder and than empty your trash.

There are a few other things you can try if these things don't work. Let us know.

Come waste your time with me
Nullpunkt

2005-01-26, 13:53

so yep,

i took all the steps you mentioned (save for the terminal command, as i don't want to mess with terminal until i wholly understand it...) regarding how to repair disk permissions and clearing out my Cache in Home>Library>Caches

...and still, no dice.

tried to run it right after i did it, and nuthin'.
did both a power down and a restart just to make sure, and still nuthin'...

In fact, it seems that it won't even begin to download (unlike previously) before the SU app "unexpectedly quits" on me...

I've also been experience more page-outs than usual with these changes...

...this is probably the first time in the four years i've owned this thing that i've had any sort of problem... hence the frustration...

regardless though, even if we can't sort this problem out with your sleuthing skills, i sincerely appreciate the effort. You've been a great help so far (and probably taught me a thing or two i didn't know along the way)
Nullpunkt

2005-01-26, 15:08

i also perused through the FAQ at the top of the forum and repaired my HD as well, (on top of repairing permissions)... and still i'm running into the same problem...

is there anything else i can do to possibly remedy this? (i'm also checking out Apple's KB as i'm sifting through this forum...
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-01-26, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullpunkt
...this is probably the first time in the four years i've owned this thing that i've had any sort of problem... hence the frustration...

regardless though, even if we can't sort this problem out with your sleuthing skills, i sincerely appreciate the effort. You've been a great help so far (and probably taught me a thing or two i didn't know along the way)
Yeah.. Sorry about assuming you know about all of those steps... I have to say that if you have had this computer FOUR years and have never repaired permissions etc.. I am not suprised that you are starting to have problems!

Am I missing something here!!??!

At this stage without being there with you and having the machine infront of me to try a few things, and bearing in mind that you have done little or no basic maintenance on the machine for four years ( ) I would backup what is valuable and do a fresh install of your OS.

You could then download all the updates the SU recommends to get back to where you are OS wise now.. Do Repair Permissions etc. each time you install an update to any piece of software, OS or otherwise.

If you don't want to take that step, as a long shot you could try getting hold of Onyx, MacJanitor or any other of the Apps. like that and getting them to empty caches and run basic maintenance on your machine for you.. I don't think that will solve this problem but it may be worth a try, and MacJanitor is certainly something you should consider in the future if you are turning your machine off each night. It will run various system maintenance tasks which normally get run on a UNIX machine in the early hours of the morning automatically as and when you request it to. Those clean up tasks are very important to your machines health.

Hope that gives you some stuff to look into...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-26, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
I have to say that if you have had this computer FOUR years and have never repaired permissions etc.. I am not suprised that you are starting to have problems!

Am I missing something here!!??!
No, you're not.

It looks like I need to start linking to Daring Fireball more often. Please, read the first part to this article: Software Update Update.

Nullpunkt, I'm not sure what else could be wrong with your system. Have you installed fink, haxies, Norton software, or any other system-modifying tools or utilities?

You should perhaps try booting into safe mode (hold shift, explained in the FAQ) before the next time you run Software Update. If there is any funky third-party software interfering with the process, that should at least temporarily hold them at bay.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-01-26, 23:19

Thats very interesting.

I have to say though, that I think the "real-world" situation on many Macs out there flys in the face of that particular Daring Fireball article, as interesting as it is.

I tend to agree with most of what he writes, but on this occasion have my reservations, as much as I can see his points.

I myself have experienced problems with Delta Updates and solved them with Combo Updates.

I also am part of the group that think Repairing Permissions is a healthy option for routine system maintenance, as is a quick boot to another partition and running a Disk Utility check of your main System drive periodically.

I don't think OS X is bug free (no piece of sftware is) and regular intelligent maintenance is required, and on occasion files do get trashed... Annoying, but true.

For example, I am using Missing Sync to share appointments and contacts with a mobile device at the moment and the whole Bluetooth syncing crap went down the other day for no reason whatsoever. I tried everything, including Reparing Permissions and in the end had to resort to an uninstall and re-install of Missing Sync. I had not had any catastrophic failiures on my machine recently, nor run any nasty haxies, or pieces of 'naughty' software.. In fact the most radicle thing that I had done was a shut down a re-boot to clear out some memory that Photoshop had stolen permanetly! Somewhere along the line a file must have become corrupted and was causing the problem. Re-installing all the files from scratch was the only solution.

I particularly think that Delta Updates have yet to prove themselves as 100% problem free when being used update after update. Anecdotary (spelling!??!) evidence tends to suggest that Combo Updates are more reliable.

On the flip side running a machine for four years without any 'maintenance' shows what a reliable and solid system we are lucky enough to have. Hat's off to Apple for that...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Last edited by scratt : 2005-01-26 at 23:24.
Nullpunkt

2005-01-30, 18:46

looks like i missed a bit since the weekend began...

i honestly can't even begin to thank you all for all of the support and suggestions since i posed these questions mere days ago...

so, just to let all the great people that have helped me out these last few days know, i have heeded all your advice.

I've booted in safe mode, installed both OnyX and MacJanitor... and still the whole software update process gets about half way done (it grabs the file, expands it, and starts installing it) and then SU just peters out and "uq's"...

and perhaps i should have been more clearer as well, but i have cleanly installed each and every OS update (10.0 in 2001, 10.1 in 2003, and 10.2 in 2004) cleanly (as in i'd wipe off the entire contents of my hard drive and install the OS's from scratch and then use -combo- updates to bring everythng up to snuff, as all i really have that needed to be backed up was mp3's for iTunes...)

... and i don't have any third-party software installed or on my computer other than MSN Messenger for Mac and ICQ 3.4. (I don't trust programs like Konfabulator and the like, and have no qualms waiting for Apple to release similar products that would no doubt seem more stable) ... it's the downside to having only 20GB's for a hard drive...

i'm almost of the mindset that after these trials and tribulations that i should just take the dive and see if some software dealer (or a helpful fellow mac-head) is willing to sell a 10.3 Update disk on the (relative) cheap. (because us uni/college kids... we're not exactly rolling in the green...)

if anyone else (on top of the great select few that have helped me immensely already... on top of better understanding my ol' Gumdrop blue G3 iMac) has any suggestions/tips/tricks/advice.... i'm sincerely all ears!

thanks so much again, all...

-M-

Last edited by Nullpunkt : 2005-01-30 at 20:45.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-30, 19:47

you can get 10.3 for $70 from the edu store... but I would suggest you wait a few months for Tiger to come out. As for your problem... do you have the latest version of iTunes installed?

This may be your problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple.com/ipodshuffle/specs.html
from here
Mac system requirements

Macintosh computer with USB port(5)

Mac OS X v10.2.8 or Mac OS X 10.3.4 and later (Mac OS X 10.3.6 or later recommended for use with low-power USB ports)
So maybe the problem has to do with the USB 1 ports?

Your best bet may be to give Apple a call as your iPod shuffle is certainly under warranty.
Your second best bet would be getting someone to send you over a copy of the .pkg to download...

Have you tried checking the "download packages to desktop" option in software update?

Also you say you have a Power Mac, but then you refer to iMac a few times... do you have two computers or one?

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)

Last edited by Paul : 2005-01-30 at 19:53.
Nullpunkt

2005-01-30, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
you can get 10.3 for $70 from the edu store... but I would suggest you wait a few months for Tiger to come out. As for your problem... do you have the latest version of iTunes installed?

Have you tried checking the "download packages to desktop" option in software update?

Also you say you have a Power Mac, but then you refer to iMac a few times... do you have two computers or one?
yep, the latest version of iTunes (4.7.1) is installed on my computer

There's no "download packages to deskop option" in SU (at least not in this version of 10.2.8)

All USB ports are working (keyboard/AIO ports)

i have an iMac. the B & W referred to the actual colour of it (Blue and White).... it's the 500Mhz model from Summer 2001 (Slot loading). I apologize if that caused any confusion, as it wasn't my intention. i edited my post to reflect that for ya...
djchadderton

2005-02-09, 09:31

Just wanted to say that I've been having the same problem. Running 10.2.8 on an iBook G3. Every so often, Software Update pops up to say there is an iPod driver update 3.1. Whenever I click to install, it downloads and tries to install but then 'unexpectedly' closes. The crash log for SU reports:
Code:
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001) Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x2e004900 Thread 0 Crashed
philk

2005-03-12, 19:18

Have had similar problem - I run 2 Macs - IMac G3 - No problem has installed, also iBook G3 - doesn't want to install (even though both are more or less mirror images regarding additional installed software etc).