User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wordpress
revolution

Send a message via AIM to revolution  
2005-10-17, 10:45

Ok, before upgrading to Tiger I set up Wordpress on my computers localhost. I wanted to experiment with it and familiarise myself with the program and how it works.

My problem is that since upgrading to Tiger it no longer works. Wordpress is installed and I have managed to get safari to find the right place, however when I type in the addy it just displays a directory without actually showing me the wordpress page I created before. very annpying.

Has anyone else had this issue or managed to solve it??

Any help much appreciated.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-17, 13:42

Sounds like you need to reinstall PHP.
revolution

2005-10-17, 16:12

I will give it a try!!
pmazer

Send a message via AIM to pmazer  
2005-10-17, 20:01

And reconfigure your httpd.conf to accept *.php as a valid extension
revolution

2005-10-18, 03:26

It worked by just reinstalling php. I think I may have reconfigured the necessary files trying to make it work anyway. I got it running. Now just to start playing with it and seeing how it works.

Anyone know any tutorials for making, changing a site etc, with good plugins??
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-10-18, 03:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolution
Anyone know any tutorials for making, changing a site etc, with good plugins??
Nope, but feel free to add me to your AIM/iChat list and bug me online. I have recently switched over to wordpress for my blog but haven't customised it yet.

There's not many of us here in the UK, we have to stick together!

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-18, 04:17

The plug-ins I use are Tiger Style Administration, BAStats, Subscribe To Comments and (disabled) Gravatar. Disabled because that service is still going through maintenance.

I have some customizations on my own, but very little. Waiting for 1.6 to finally let users edit their own comments...
revolution

2005-10-21, 10:17

I have just dicovered i can have a .wordpress.com blog. I have set one up. Just wondered if anyone else had one, or knew whether plugins and the like are able to be used on these.

Chucker I think I saw the link to it on your blog.

I wanna create a banner to replace the existing one, but I'm not sure if i can do this on these accounts. If I can a lil help would be appreciated.
JayReding

2005-10-21, 10:36

The best source for everything WordPress is the WordPress Codex at (shockingly enough): http://codex.wordpress.org/
chucker

2005-10-21, 15:42

Quote:
Chucker I think I saw the link to it on your blog.
Yes, quite possibly, I blogged about it last night
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-10-22, 21:25

Yeah, I just switched to Wordpress (thanks to Batman) a couple days ago (see profile for link).

I know that with Blogger, you can customize your page template (which I did extensively). Can I do that on Wordpress too?

You ask me for a hamburger.
revolution

2005-11-11, 20:54

Hi, sorry to bring this back up.

I now have a fully fledged wordpress blog up and running, and am in the process of making it look how I want it to look, however I can't make the header clickable. I have taken the text out as I want it to only have the text I have in my img header and so want to be able to click the header and make it return to the home page.

What code do i need?? and where do I put it?? I presume it would be in header.php somewhere, but don't know exactly where. Or how it should sit in comparison to the other code.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
chucker

2005-11-11, 20:56

Quote:
What code do i need?? and where do I put it??
Post your header.php and I'll tell you what to change.
revolution

2005-11-11, 20:58

is this the right bit??

<div id="header">
<div id="headerimg">
<div class="description"><?php bloginfo('description'); ?></div>
</div>
</div>
<hr />
chucker

2005-11-11, 21:09

Quote:
is this the right bit??

<div id="header">
<div id="headerimg">
</div>
</div>
<hr />
If you only want your description to be a link:

<div id="header">
<div id="headerimg">
<div class="description"><a href="INSERTHERE"><?php bloginfo('description'); ?></a></div>
</div>
</div>
<hr />

If you want the entire image to be one:

<div id="header">
<a href="INSERTHERE"><div id="headerimg">
</div></a>
</div>
<hr />

Whereby "INSERTHERE" gets replaced with whatever your blog's main page URL is.
revolution

2005-11-11, 21:14

Wahoo.

Thanks Chucker, much appreciated, if only people on the wordpress forums could write things in sucha n understandable and obvious way!!

Myblog by the way is found here if anyone is interested.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2005-11-11, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
If you want the entire image to be one:

<div id="header">
<a href="INSERTHERE"><div id="headerimg">
</div></a>
</div>
<hr />
NO! Bad Chucker.

This isn't valid xhtml. And it causes quite a few problems... most notoriously the IE 6/win reload bug. Each time you mouse over the image it will reload it. I've never found a way around it... I just learned to deal with having only the description be the link. I'm sure there's a way around it... see the issue is that <div> is a block level assignment, and <a> is a line level assignment. You can't wrap line-levels around block levels (or something like that... I don't think my terminology is exactly correct). Perhaps there'd be a way around it using absolutely positioned <span> tags with the header image inside them. But I'm a CSS/xhtml newb... So I guarantee that this won't work... but maybe it will send someone on the right track.
chucker

2005-11-11, 22:26

You mean inline. Yes, that's true, but he didn't exactly give me an alternative with that strange nested div code.

As for IE6's problem, why would I care?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-11-11, 23:50

For those of you playing at home I do believe that Chucker's being just a tad sarcastic... with good reason.
You'd care about IE6 if you wanted to appeal to the widest (lowest common denominator) reader-base. From all accounts IE6 remains (through sheer inertia) a well-used browser, which really, really sucks. I hope that IE7 is really good. Maybe in five years we can stop using patches in our CSS.

I'm preparing to make the leap to either Wordpress or MT3.x and I have to say that the more I read about WP the more interested I become. Over the past year I've become smitten with the combo of PHP-generated XHTML styled by CSS.

The biggest concern I have is knowing how to weave calls to WordPress into my own PHP coded pages without stepping on the toes of variables previously named by the WordPress pages. I know that I can do my pages in MT, I'd rather do them in WP.

I just need to have that comfort level with WordPress. Knowing that I can use REAL PHP and not some tinkered version is a big plus.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
chucker

2005-11-12, 00:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
I do believe that Chucker's being just a tad sarcastic... with good reason.
Yes, but not entirely. My own blog has a large percentage of IE users, but not enough for me to care.

One of my web sites, on the other hand, has over 55% IE users, a percentage impossible to abandon.
revolution

2005-11-12, 07:09

Sorry about the strange code, not that I understand, but I just lifted it straight out of the Kubrick header.php file.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-11-12, 10:12

Until you learn to understand how code nests within code you shouldn't apologize. It's kind of like making a sandwich out of other sandwiches, think of the opening tags like the top and bottom of your sandwich then remember that it's bad form to have the sandwiches "bite" each other. Pretty easy, eh!?

Now, I know that this is a discussion of how to set the DIVs... but here's an example that works when substituting an image for text using CSS:

Code:
<div id="example"> <p class="banner"><a href="LINK"><span>Pretty Pig</span></a></p> </div>
Here's the CSS:
Code:
#example { background: #2d4d87; border-bottom: 7px solid #000000; height: 90px; width: 800px; margin: 0; } p.banner { background: no-repeat url(../graphics/logo.png) left top; height: 90px; width: 393px; margin-right: 30px; margin: 0; } p.banner a { display: block; height: 90px; width: 393px; } p.banner span { color: transparent; display: none; }
This allows the entire DIV to act as a hotlinked image.
The DIV establishes the size (width and height).
The paragraph called "banner" has a background image placed in its top left corner.
The link is set as a block with same dimensions as the background image in the containing paragraph.
The text within the link is contained in a span, so we tell CSS not to display the span (I made the text transparent out of Junior Programmer Voodoo).

There's probably a better way to code this but I'll leave it up to the advanced guys to show a better way... and anyway, this might possibly be off-topic.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2005-11-13, 22:33

I was browsing the Wordpress Codex just now, and ran across a portion on how to make your entire header a link. They have some interesting methods there... including one that uses javascript. Take a look and see if any of the code works for what you want it to do.
revolution

2005-11-18, 19:09

OK, I have managed to get the header clickable, I used a different way to what you suggested after people said this was bad.

I'm now having issues uploading images. Basically WP won't let me. It says I need to check for permission on wp-content as WP cant write to here. Now I'm very new to all this and don't know alot about this. basically which file do I need to change to allow me to do this?? And also I havee read lots of numbers like 777, 760 and 750 but what does this mean?

Sorry to keep pestering you but I find you guys a little easier and less belittling as on the WP forums.