User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 165 of 221 First Previous 161 162 163 164 [165] 166 167 168 169  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-03, 08:50

Yep.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-03, 16:45

Joel Osteen

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-03, 18:11

I saw that!!! I was going to post it here but I had to go pick Mom up for lunch/groceries.

**Crime/Shady Preacher News**

Plumber Finds Thousands of Cash Envelopes Stuffed Inside Toilet Wall at Joel Osteen’s Megachurch

They'd reported a "theft" some years ago. I'm sure they did.

The plumber said envelopes of cash and checks were found in a wall cavity behind the toilet.

Several things:

1) Whoever a thief was stored them there when the building was in another form/layout and he/she just could never get back to them? But how did they go undiscovered?

2) That piece-of-work Osteen and/or his underlings stashed this away for "easy cash", tax dodging or who-knows-what (male hooker money, etc.).

3) Is the plumber involved? Of all the toilets in that building, he's working on the one where all this money was found. But he also turned it back in.

I'm kinda going with #2, to be completely honest. These "prosperity" pastors are about my least-favorite humans walking the earth, and I wouldn't put it past one of them to be up to something shady/iffy involving $$$.

I remember his behavior/actions during those awful floods in Houston a few years back.

I hope they drag this charlatan off in cuffs at some point, perp-walking his ass through Houston PD with every camera in the world pointed on him. He's about as much of a "Christian" as I am Hindu.

Sorry, I just have a real problem with this clown, and his ilk. He's just a slightly less goofy-looking Jim Bakker, that's it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-03, 18:11

I moved the AirTags talk over to the Please Don't Trust Us thread. I had commented on the topic over there and would rather the Daily News thread not get cluttered up with Apple gear talk.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-03, 18:20

Ha...I wondered what happened. "Am I having a stroke?! Where did everything go? Did I dream/imagine those exchanges?!?"
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-12-03, 18:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Am I having a stroke?!
Yes.

Apple went out of business after Gil Amelio failed to buy Be, Inc.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-03, 18:29

Not to stir up that ugly pot again, but Alec Baldwin is now saying he didn't pull the trigger. One of those self-firing Colt revolvers I've always read about.

Everyone involved, except the dead cinematographer, deserves a righteous Moe Howard roundhouse smack at this point.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-03, 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Yes.

Apple went out of business after Gil Amelio failed to buy Be, Inc.
Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-03, 18:34

Quote:
I saw that!!! I was going to post it here but I had to go pick Mom up for lunch/groceries.

**Crime/Shady Preacher News**

Plumber Finds Thousands of Cash Envelopes Stuffed Inside Toilet Wall at Joel Osteen’s Megachurch

They'd reported a "theft" some years ago. I'm sure they did.

The plumber said envelopes of cash and checks were found in a wall cavity behind the toilet.

Several things:

1) Whoever a thief was stored them there when the building was in another form/layout and he/she just could never get back to them? But how did they go undiscovered?

2) That piece-of-work Osteen and/or his underlings stashed this away for "easy cash", tax dodging or who-knows-what (male hooker money, etc.).

3) Is the plumber involved? Of all the toilets in that building, he's working on the one where all this money was found. But he also turned it back in.

I'm kinda going with #2, to be completely honest. These "prosperity" pastors are about my least-favorite humans walking the earth, and I wouldn't put it past one of them to be up to something shady/iffy involving $$$.

I remember his behavior/actions during those awful floods in Houston a few years back.

I hope they drag this charlatan off in cuffs at some point, perp-walking his ass through Houston PD with every camera in the world pointed on him. He's about as much of a "Christian" as I am Hindu.

Sorry, I just have a real problem with this clown, and his ilk. He's just a slightly less goofy-looking Jim Bakker, that's it.
I used to drive past his big-ass church all the time when I lived in Houston. One of the biggest venues in the city, yet every time there's a natural disaster he refuses to open his doors to people seeking shelter. He can fuck right off.

I suppose it's possible the cash was put there back when this was a basketball stadium and it's just gone unnoticed since then, but Osteen is not someone I generally give the benefit of the doubt.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-03, 18:45

Yeah, that recent flood situation, and his response to those in need, was quite a thing.

But was I surprised in the least? Not one bit.

I know he and the church, supporters and even some Osteen-friendly elected officials tried to spin it a certain way, involving safety reasons and all that. But that was the most weak, hollow-sounding and heartless bullcrap I've ever heard. In a disaster, and a time of need, real men of God step up and do what it takes to give shelter and safety to those needing it most. That's allegedly your job/purpose, in that position. Period, end of discussion.

If you've got to replace some carpeting or repaint afterwards, whoopty-damn-doo...you seem to have the funds for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
...but Osteen is not someone I generally give the benefit of the doubt.
Hell no! Unfortunately, there are probably thousands of dopes who would/do.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-03 at 18:56.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-03, 19:19

**Funny Business News**

Michigan Burger Restaurant Sued for Looking Too Similar to In-N-Out

Dad sent me this link a little while ago because he's heard me proclaim my love for for In-N-Out over the years, from my time in SoCal.

Yeah, it's a pretty spot-on grab...the decor, presentation, menu, spelling, uniforms, etc.

"Hey, we're pretty far away, in Michigan...they'll never know."

As the years have rolled on, I realize I miss only two things from my years in Orange County and San Diego: 1) Pacific sunsets at the end of a long day, full of colors I don't think I'd ever seen before, or since*, and 2) In-N-Out burgers.

Holy smokes, they are good.

Those of you who know, you know. Those of you who don't, if you ever visit Southern California, Arizona or the Las Vegas area, go immediately from the airport to the closest In-N-Out, order a Double-Double, fries and a beverage of your choice and just enjoy!

*To this day, a Chris Isaak song will just put me back there immediately. That stuff was the "soundtrack" to my years there, and I'll sometimes get really wistful and momentarily lost.

"Tawwk amongst yourselves...".

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-07, 08:55

Company lays off hundreds of employees over Zoom meeting

That is almost as bad as breaking up with your girlfriend over text messaging.

Quote:
"If you're on this call, you are part of the unlucky group that is being laid off," Better.com CEO Vishal Garg said Wednesday on the call, a recording of which has since circulated on TikTok and YouTube. "Your employment here is terminated effective immediately."
That is wrong on so many levels it isn't even funny. I love how he later goes on to talk about those who worked 2 hours but got paid for 8. Generally saying those who were laid off were stealing from the company. That is a pretty broad stroke right there. I can't say it didn't happen, but all 900 or so employees on the call?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-07, 09:17

Yikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Generally saying those who were laid off were stealing from the company. That is a pretty broad stroke right there. I can't say it didn't happen, but all 900 or so employees on the call?
A bit more on that:

Quote:
Garg also accused the laid-off employees of "stealing" from their colleagues and customers by being unproductive.
He's definition of "stealing" is a bit fluid and wide-ranging, it seems.

"You murdered your co-workers by using too much sugar and napkins in the break room...you're fired, all of you!"

Also, a bit more on his "leadership" style:

Quote:
Garg has served as Better.com's CEO since founding the company in 2014. His management technique can sometimes be harsh, as evidenced by an email he to employees that was obtained by Forbes.

"You are TOO DAMN SLOW. You are a bunch of DUMB DOLPHINS... SO STOP IT. STOP IT. STOP IT RIGHT NOW. YOU ARE EMBARRASSING ME," he wrote.
Gonna go out on a limb here and say this guy just might be a bit of an asshole. Being let go from a company he runs might not be the worst thing to happen to someone, big picture?

He seems a bit tactless and unhinged, all around.

PS - I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever heard of a dolphin being used in an insult, especially one related to intelligence. Ape? Ox? Sloth? Pig? Sure. Who the hell drags dolphins into it? Does this guy not know his animals?

This is exactly the kind of person I'd go out of my way to screw with if I ever crossed his orbit. I'd squeak/chatter like a dolphin every time I passed him in the hallway.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-07, 09:23

Yeah, the dolphin reference had me scratch my head too. I also thought it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to leave that company.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-07, 10:04

If he's that way with 900 people on a Zoom call - that he knows will probably find its way to the public - imagine how he must act in private, with just a few others around (and possibly in his crosshairs).
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-12-07, 10:17

This is very bad, but let's not pretend this is way out there.

Remember this is an Apple-focused board. Jobs was an abusive tyrant at times. Making people hide and cry in elevators etc.

And he's beloved by millions.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-07, 10:25

Try billions.

I've talked plenty here about what a graceless, socially retarded a-hole Jobs seemed to be, if even half the stories we've heard are true. A visionary and great public speaker/showman, absolutely. I miss those days a lot.

But I don't worship at the altar of Steve, as if he, the man, was some great, all-around human. I just like the products his company put out (and many of them came from him wanting something done that didn't exist at the time and he probably cracked the whip at times and didn't do himself any favors in the "swell guy" department). But he probably didn't care, either. That's always been the story on him...he's this and this, but, unfortunately, he was also a bit that and that to many.

It is what it is. He's dead now, 10+ years, so nobody's crying in elevators anymore. Apple probably has an internal program/initiative in place to ensure that, and to help/comfort those who still may. In fact, I think I read about their Lift Up protocol.*

"Elevators are a magical place, full of discovery and wonder. But they're not for tears." - T. Cook

I love my iPhone and Macs, but I've always had the feeling Steve Jobs was the kind of person I'd wind up punching in the jaw if I spent more than 4-5 hours in his presence.

The guy above didn't bring us the iPod, so...

*Get it? Lift...elevator?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-07 at 10:37.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-12-07, 10:34

I saw this Twitter thread(?) the other day on how a lot of managers took the wrong lesson from that, namely that they have to be just as much of a jerk as Jobs was in order to be innovative™ and disruptive™. Which, no, probably not. Jobs just had an ineffable (and not perfect, but unusually good) sense of what users want in a product (often before users themselves even knew). The Ford-ian "car instead of a faster horse".

(And Ford was a problematic person, too. Don't be Henry Ford.)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-07, 10:49

Oh I'm sure there are plenty of point-missing, misguided idiot CEOs and managers out there who think they can replicate his success by acting in a certain way. We've all known at least one of these clown acts.

Again..."you didn't give the world the iPod, which means you're just a stock, run-of-the-mill a-hole with nothing to mitigate it. Maybe change the world a few times and then you can be an unrepentant dick who walks between the raindrops."
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-07, 10:52

"I model my behavior on Steve Jobs, and if you're as much of an asshole as I am, you too can achieve great success as a middle manager at State Farm"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-07, 11:07

"And when you reach a certain goal, you get a red mock turtleneck to wear proudly amongst those who despise your very soul. Good luck, team...now go get 'em!"

Oh man, never again. I hope to never punch the clock and trudge into a huge building again. It's a tougher go at times, no doubt, but to call my own shots, work with who I want, skip out on office politics/break room protocol/mandatory parties, it's been worth every early morning/late night. I wouldn't change a thing.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-12-07, 12:03

As someone who owns a company, I get it. It’s harsh, no doubt, but sometimes the truth hurts, does it not? Was it handled correctly? Hell no. I sure would be angry if I found out employees were only working for two hours during an 8 hour work day. Might be different if I found out they were so good at their job they finished quickly. In that case they didn’t have any work to do, that’s partly the companies fault, but if they sat on Facebook or Twitter for six hours rather than doing work they should doing? Fire their ass, regardless of when it is, assuming they have had chances to correct the problem. Sounds like mass firing of poorly performing sales people who didn’t hit their numbers, but 900 at once. Hmmm.
¡Damned!

2021-12-07, 12:32

Quote:
Vishal Garg
If I saw that name in the Star Wars universe I'd know instantly that he was a baddie.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-07, 12:55

Absolutely. Interplanetary gangster/warlord, dabbles in smuggling, often assists the Empire, hates the Jedi, owns 2-3 assassin droids, has double-crossed/betrayed pretty much everyone he’s ever met, etc. The whole work-up.

And, if he were still with us, would be portrayed (or voiced) by Alan Rickman.

“Mr. Kenobi won’t be joining us, for the rest of his life.”
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-07, 13:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
As someone who owns a company, I get it. It’s harsh, no doubt, but sometimes the truth hurts, does it not? Was it handled correctly? Hell no. I sure would be angry if I found out employees were only working for two hours during an 8 hour work day. Might be different if I found out they were so good at their job they finished quickly. In that case they didn’t have any work to do, that’s partly the companies fault, but if they sat on Facebook or Twitter for six hours rather than doing work they should doing? Fire their ass, regardless of when it is, assuming they have had chances to correct the problem. Sounds like mass firing of poorly performing sales people who didn’t hit their numbers, but 900 at once. Hmmm.
Terminating 900 people at one time over Zoom is a cowardly act. This chump wants to be portrayed as tough, but he's not.

Yeah, if the people are performing poorly, you either correct the problem or send them down the road, and there is an appropriate way to do that. This wasn't it.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-12-07, 13:10

No doubt it was done poorly. Would it instantly better if they got all 900 people in a gym and fired them rather than over zoom? Of course not. This is a job for one on one with HR. Mass humiliation like that is never right. Been there, when my entire department was laid off, short of 5 people. The company always sends in the most unfeeling jacka$$ they have to do it. In this case it was the CEO.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-12-07, 13:57

There tends to be a pretty direct inverse correlation between agreeableness and the ability to get things done. This is no surprise. Some people want to be liked. Others could care less so long as they get what they want, or the persons liking them help them to get what they want. Disagreeable personalities probably have a higher percentage of CEO's, even if they're socialized to appear superficially agreeable when it suits them. Jobs prioritized results, but I don't thing he wanted to be disliked or didn't care about it. His biography read like he probably struggled a long time with being disliked. He was smart enough to understand why someone might not be thrilled at being pushed to work even harder, but it's one thing to understand it intellectually and another to believe it viscerally. If a person is reflective enough, I think, their blind spots probably trouble them and they struggle to relate and really latch on when/if they find a few people with which they do relate.

This Vishal Garg character seems to have a pretty shady background in an already shady business, there's nothing in his resume that really defines a desire to achieve anything except profiteering.

_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2021-12-08, 05:57

Perfect time for squid games. Opportunity lost.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-08, 13:42

Quote:
Not to stir up that ugly pot again, but Alec Baldwin is now saying he didn't pull the trigger. One of those self-firing Colt revolvers I've always read about.

Everyone involved, except the dead cinematographer, deserves a righteous Moe Howard roundhouse smack at this point.
Apparently Alec is quoted:
Quote:
"I let go of the hammer, bang. The gun goes off. Everyone is horrified. They're shocked. It's loud," Baldwin said. "Someone is responsible for what happened, and I can't say who it is, but it's not me."
Umm... handgun rule 1, if it is in your control you are at fault where it points. (Never aim where you don't intend to shoot.)

So let me get this right, you let go of the hammer and it isn't your fault. Right.

I get the legal reasons for not wanting to admit fault, but he kinda did right there. Clearly he didn't check that the chamber was free from bullets. Minimally it is manslaughter.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-08, 14:09

Full disclosure: A don't like Alec Baldwin or his politics.

That said, I have to disagree with you, Tony. It's a prop gun. There are people hired to make sure the prop is ready for action so the actor can just walk up and "act". I'm no pro in the area, but we all know this is how it's done. With a prop, there is no burden on the actor to make sure the gun is "safe" (hell, "safe" shouldn't even been a question with a prop gun; it's going to get pointed at another human being—of course it's "safe").

With what we out here in the public know, there is no way I could sit on a jury and find Alec Baldwin guilty of anything. Not one thing. Well, maybe for being Alec Baldwin, but that has nothing to do with this.

I'm still not entirely convinced this was an "accident", as there's still room for the possibility that someone was setting someone else up.

For right now, I'd call it a disgustingly gross oversight, first, and a horrible conspiracy second. And unless Alec Baldwin is involved in that conspiracy, I would have to say he's 100% innocent of any wrong-doing.

And he should keep his stupid mouth shut! There is an ongoing investigation and he's so concerned with clearing his own conscience that he's talking too much. Typical "look at me" type. Quit talking, answer every question with "no comment", and reserve your posturing for a private place until the investigation concludes.