Better pro desktop keyboard from Apple?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Better pro desktop keyboard from Apple?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2006-11-27, 13:33

Who's with me on this?

The current ones have keys which are too high and prone to sticking once you get any bit of dirt underneath them. There have been some slick offerings from Microsoft and some from Logitech as well that have slim or even scissor keys.

Apple's cordless bluetooth keyboard look cheap when used with any Cinema Display (looks fine with a white iMac though). Even the clear mouse seem un-coordinated to the brush aluminum look.
Of course it may not be feasible to have such high end keyboards shipped with every Mac...but having new standalone ones would be a nice option.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-27, 13:49

I wish we could have the MacBook Pro's keyboard as a desktop variant. Same flat keys. Perhaps add a numblock to the side, and a few more F keys. Same backlight. The thing is amazing.

Of course, then I'd have to get used to using a mouse again... I'm spoiled from the trackpad features.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-11-27, 13:59

Something like the Logitech DiNovo?

Flat and nice design, though, I'm not very pleased with all the extra keys for this and that. What's wrong with minimalism?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-11-27, 14:26

I really hope so. It's about time for Apple to come out with a new, better keyboard. The current one is worse than the previous Pro Keyboard. It doesn't fit the Pro machines either. But the biggest issue is that it's just uncomfortable to use. I really hope they start using scissor keys.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-27, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
Something like the Logitech DiNovo?
Tries too hard to be cute-looking.
digitalprimate

2006-11-27, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
Something like the http://wearcam.org/ece385/keyers/y2k_keyboard.jpg
Flat and nice design, though, I'm not very pleased with all the extra keys for this and that. What's wrong with minimalism?
I guess this would be the other extreme...
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-11-27, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalprimate View Post
Heh. Wonder if it supports Vista?

If I was a proper nerd I'd probably take myself the time to master Das Keyboard.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-11-27, 15:18

There's also this:

RRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

RRRRRRRRR!
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2006-11-27, 15:27

I am very happy with my Macally IceKey.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2006-11-27, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalprimate View Post

But you have to admit, they're keyboard options are many including that Entertainment 8000 which would match the MacPros pretty nicely. Not sure if it's OS X compatible since it's really customized for Vista.

How great would it be great to see a new keyboard optimized for Leopard early next year?
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2006-11-27, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara View Post
Yes, that is a nice keyboard with a nice feel. One of the few that complement the iMac...but still not the pro-desktop line.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-11-27, 17:12

I'd love to see a reincarnation of the Apple Extended Keyboard. IMO, that's one of the best keyboards ever made. If they took that and gave it a metal casing and a backlight, it would be the perfect keyboard.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-11-27, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit View Post
I'd love to see a reincarnation of the Apple Extended Keyboard. IMO, that's one of the best keyboards ever made. If they took that and gave it a metal casing and a backlight, it would be the perfect keyboard.
And USB. Cause being able to use the new keyboard would come in handy.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-11-27, 18:11

I've got a Logitech S530 set and I love it. While it still has the white theme, there are "metal-like" tones that help off set it.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-11-27, 18:51

How about Logitech's Latest diNovo Edge "Quote Stylishly sleek Laser-cut from a single piece of Plexiglass and set in a
brushed aluminum frame Un-quote" partner with a mx revolution mouse and simmer slowly for best results.

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-11-27, 18:52

Thanks so much Turtle! That is what I have been looking for! A keyboard and mouse for macs that has multimedia stuff like that but also looks really nice. I will have to browse around more on the logitech site and see what else they have to offer. I may just need to put that on my christmas list!

Why don't they have any bluetooth ones for mac? I really like the one you posted but I wish I didn't have to use that usb receiver.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-11-27, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
Thanks so much Turtle! That is what I have been looking for! A keyboard and mouse for macs that has multimedia stuff like that but also looks really nice. I will have to browse around more on the logitech site and see what else they have to offer. I may just need to put that on my christmas list!

Why don't they have any bluetooth ones for mac? I really like the one you posted but I wish I didn't have to use that usb receiver.
There is a little lag when you move the mouse if it's been a while, but other than that I do really love this setup. Keyboard feels good and the mouse is far better on the hand than any other I have used. I've even configured the extra thumb buttons for Expose and Desktop. Pushing the center wheel will bring up dashboard. Even the volume and mute buttons are very convenient.

You can hide the USB receiver too. It comes with a cable and dock so you can put it well out of sight.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-11-27, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara View Post
Seconded. Even though it and my 4GB white nano are white in a sea of black. I have a black mouse, black speakers, black MacBook, and black Samsung screen, and silver Mac Pro.

Yay for variety!

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-11-27, 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
And USB. Cause being able to use the new keyboard would come in handy.
Well, if you're going to bring back the best keyboard ever, you might as well go the extra mile and give it Firewire.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-11-27, 23:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
There is a little lag when you move the mouse if it's been a while, but other than that I do really love this setup. Keyboard feels good and the mouse is far better on the hand than any other I have used. I've even configured the extra thumb buttons for Expose and Desktop. Pushing the center wheel will bring up dashboard. Even the volume and mute buttons are very convenient.

You can hide the USB receiver too. It comes with a cable and dock so you can put it well out of sight.
Are you using it on an intel mac and if so do all the extra buttons on the mouse and keyboard work well and do what they are supposed to do?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-11-27, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
Are you using it on an intel mac and if so do all the extra buttons on the mouse and keyboard work well and do what they are supposed to do?
I'm using it with a G4 Mini. I will say there is no reason it won't work with the Intel systems though. It comes with an install disk to ensure you can customize the selections of the buttons and all. It's labeled as being UB so I'm sure it isn't an issue at all.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-11-28, 05:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit View Post
Well, if you're going to bring back the best keyboard ever, you might as well go the extra mile and give it Firewire.
I think there are a few keyboards that use USB2. USB2 is used in more devices anyway (including the iPod, and flash drives, and so on) and you don't have to plug in two cables.

I know that Firewire is better from an objective standpoint, but USB2 is more useful because it's more widespread. You can keep the single-cable keyboard that way too (though you could always use a combined USB2/Firewire cable I guess).
Dazabrit

2006-11-28, 06:44

It would be nice if Apple just killed the Keyboard and got the future rolling.
Carniphage

2006-11-28, 07:32

These are pretty nice....
Loud, but nice.

http://matias.ca/tactilepro/
Frisco

2006-11-28, 10:29

If it's good enough for Steve, it's good enough for me. 'Nuff said.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2006-11-28, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post
These are pretty nice....
Loud, but nice.
http://matias.ca/tactilepro/
As loud as a Model M? Cause it sure looks fine, but the WAF of the Model M is unfortunately a tad low (too noisy). The Tactile pro says nothing of buckling springs so it might be quieter...?

Converted 07/2005.
digitalprimate

2006-11-28, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazabrit View Post
It would be nice if Apple just killed the Keyboard and got the future rolling.
Those Matias people sure are innovative when it comes to keyboard design. Their halfkeyboard looks promising. And weird.
rasmits
rams it

2006-11-28, 16:57

Did anyone see this article in TS today? I don't think I buy it, a built in iPod dock wouldn't look very good.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-11-28, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
Did anyone see this article in TS today? I don't think I buy it, a built in iPod dock wouldn't look very good.
Sounds like it would be nice for someone with a Mini, but I'll stick with my Logitech set. Apple's keyboards just don't do it for me.

Oh and the article seems really flaky. I mean, who's going to send one back to Apple like that?

iDaver

2006-11-28, 22:51

That Logitech Mac keyboard looks nice. I don't understand wireless keyboards though. Wireless mice, sure but why the keyboard? It just has to be charged (batteries or whatever) and can't have any USB ports as a result. There's always something about a keyboard that keeps it from being perfect. I like my Kensington Slim Type for its function (although there are no USB ports) but I hate its appearance (chrome accents).