Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Best Bluetooth solution for iPhone 6S+

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Best Bluetooth solution for iPhone 6S+
Matsu
Veteran Member

2016-04-21, 10:03

So, here's my dilemma. The phone and factory 'buds are actually perfect for most of the things I do with them, except one. Exercise. I wear my Apple Earbuds a good portion of the day - I take most of my calls through them, and use the buds to tune out ambient noise when I'm working. They're nice because they let in all the outside noise so I can hear other folks when they need me and I can carry on a conversation without having to take them out. In the office, my phone is either in my shirt or jacket pocket, or on my desk.

However, the combination of large phone and wires just isn't working for me in the gym. Even with my smaller iPhone5 the cord was often a PITA, but it was small enough to strap to a forearm and run the wire inside my shirt, or just keep in my sweats' pocket depending on exercise. I lift a lot, and the wires get in the way a lot of time. So, I've been looking at Bluetooth, but don't really know where to start.

Unlike office/commuter 'buds, I'd prefer they seal out external noise, since sometimes the local gym keeps the in-house music a little too loud, and I have to crank the Apple buds to overcome it.

Suggestions?

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2016-04-21, 21:26

I always had good luck with my Beats Powerbeats 2 Wireless. You can take calls in them, you get about 6-7 hours on a charge and they're in-ear but still wrap around which was nice when I was running.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-04-21, 21:51

Currently these are my favorite set for all those outside and gym things: Loop6ix Jitterbuds

They are comfortable in my ears and don't fall out ever. The playback is long though I can't tell you what the time is. I only recharge them every few weeks though. They do a good job cutting out most noise though they aren't perfect. You can do playback controls on the play controls where you recharge it. They do work for taking calls, though call handling is not it's strongest feature.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2016-04-22, 09:37

I have an LG HBS-730 bluetooth headset. You wear it around the back of your neck like a necklace, and each side has an earbud that you can either stow (it attaches magnetically) or wear. The earbuds do a great job of isolation, to the point where I almost exclusively wear one at a time.

Got my dad the updated HBS-760 for Christmas last year and he loves them. Uses them while he washes dishes, same as me. I also wear them while driving (just one side at a time; check your local laws).

The controls are nice. They have buttons for play/pause, volume control, skip forward/back, and to answer calls. It even has a vibration motor, smartly located on the same side as the answer call button. Mine usually lasts only a couple days before I have to recharge, but I've also had them for 2 or 3 years now.

I'd definitely recommend them! Seems perfect for what you do. The neck strap stays in place really well because all the weight is at the front - the two sides rest on your collarbones. I guess the one concern is if you're lying on your back for a bench press or something, it could fall off.
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2016-04-22, 18:25

Mpow Swift

Mpow Cheetah

I've bought and used both with zero problems and they are pretty awesome. Plus the price makes it worth a shot. I've used them when riding century bike rides and jogging half marathons with zero issues.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2016-04-23, 05:52

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. One more snag. I wear glasses most of the time, so the over ear loop style might be a little annoying in use, or fold my ears down and make me look like dumbo.

I wonder why we don't see too many AAA powered sets, and/or BT receivers that will take any set of headphones and convert them? Make it to clip to a shirt collar, and feature a little cable management to keep dangling cords under control?

Last edited by Matsu : 2016-04-23 at 08:49.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-04-23, 08:36

I wear glasses too and the ones I recommended don't get in the way since the wire is so narrow.

The Mpow Swift pair mentioned above is another set of earphones I have (under a different brand name) and they are pretty good too. They cling in my ear pretty good. My biggest grumble with them is they don't auto-reconnect to my phone. I have to manually pair it every time I use it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2016-05-02, 11:15

Good solutions all 'round.

My wife came home with a great answer the other day: a little runners waistband sized just larger than the iPod. Much smaller than a fanny pack, I can wear it on the waist and run the wire under my shirt, which is perfect since it's in a lovely purple and pink with some weird floral yoga emblem on it. Pretty sure she did that on purpose.