User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iOS & watchOS

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iOS & watchOS
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-09-10, 14:18

Quite a few random nuggets buried in press releases. Including a sort-of answer for those speculating on "why has iOS 13.1 gone beta before 13.0 shipped":

iOS 13 will be available on September 19 as a free software update for iPhone 6s and later. Additional software features will be available on September 30 with iOS 13.1.

So all iPhones are getting 13.0 (not just on the 11 and 11 Pro), but 13.1 will ship not long after. However, MacRumors says iPadOS won't ship at all until September 13, so I guess we won't see any final version of iPadOS 13.0.

As for watchOS:

watchOS 6 will be available for Apple Watch Series 3 and later on September 19 and for Apple Watch Series 1 and 2 later this fall.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-09-10, 14:19

(Nothing I can find thus far on tvOS, audioOS a.k.a. HomePod and macOS.)

(edit) macOS is coming in October, as usual.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/...extraordinary/

Quote:
Apple Arcade will be available on September 19 with iOS 13, on September 30 on iPadOS and tvOS 13, and in October on macOS Catalina.

Last edited by chucker : 2019-09-10 at 14:30.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-09-10, 14:35

I'm mainly looking forward for iOS 13 so I can get the new CarPlay update.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-10, 15:38

Yeah, the CarPlay update is one of the features I'm really looking forward to. I want to go ahead and install the beta but I can wait another week or so for it to come down with a regular update.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-20, 10:02

I updated my phone last night and this morning my alarm didn't go off. I use the bedtime thing and normally it goes off every morning. Am I the only one who didn't get an alarm this morning? I went ahead and set a second alarm for 2 minutes after my normal one so I have a better chance of hearing it.

I'd say maybe I turned it off in my sleep but my wife didn't hear it either. This makes it less likely that I just missed it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-09-21, 19:50

Question/verification/hopefully not going crazy......in CarPlay on iOS 13, do the Message notifications come from the bottom or did I somehow change something?
EmC

2019-09-22, 19:47

Is anyone else experiencing a disaster on their upgraded device? I'm on a 7 Plus. When I get a message the phone number shows up in the notification, however when I go to the messages app the names are there no problem. When I search for those entries in my address book I find the person, but when I access the card it is empty.

Trying to add my name and picture to share in messages crashes, my phone has restarted several times, and my email app will say I have 38 unread messages. I'll open the app to look and not read any and the unread messages will be a new random number.

New car play is pretty good. I only used it briefly this morning.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2019-09-22, 21:19

I had a random crash of the new Reminders app when looking to see what was different (I don't use it anyway), and then when deleting a list, the auto-regenerated default one showed something like "---Untitled---" for a second before showing correctly as "Reminders" but that's it. Oh, and in the Manage iPhone Storage thing, it reset all the apps on the list to Last Used: Never. Haven't hit anything I would consider anything more than a random blip though.

I'm most looking forward to iPadOS and that's been stepped up to Tuesday with 13.1.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-09-23, 09:11

iOS 13 has been a buggy mess since the first betas and the release ashen' done anything to help that.

13.1 has been a little better, but still random bugs and crashes showing up.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2019-09-23, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Question/verification/hopefully not going crazy......in CarPlay on iOS 13, do the Message notifications come from the bottom or did I somehow change something?
They come in on the bottom for me. I don't like it because I can't see them out of the corner of my eye like I can when they're on top.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-09-23, 10:44

I've not had any issues with stability or bugs with 13.1 beta 4. I'm running it on my 11 pro and my X. Neither have had any problems. Maybe I've gotten lucky?

I don't like that 3D Touch is gone. I actually used it quite a bit and I didn't even realize it. I'm noticing it a lot when trying to change bluetooth or wifi settings which, apparently I do quite a bit.

I'm not sure if I like the new share sheet either. I'll get used to it but it's a lot of text!

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2019-09-23, 11:04

iOS13 has broken the Siri button functionality of my car. I can get around it by using "Hey Siri" but it does kind of suck. I'm really hoping 13.1 fixes it, but I don't see anyone else complaining so not optimistic it will be high in the bug priority list...

Edit: So, I spoke to @applesupport on Twitter. They think that Nissan should fix it with a firmware update to the car. I’m not holding my breath for that to happen. Seems weird that they think it’s the cars fault despite the issue being directly related to iOS13. Anyway, I’ll guess that in that case, it’s never getting fixed, as car manufacturers are unlikely to spend developer hours on fixing minor features on 2-year old models. Sigh.

Last edited by Bryson : 2019-09-24 at 07:55.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2019-09-26, 16:13

Unbelievably, iOS13.1 fixed my issue. How about that?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-26, 22:48

I use CarPlay with a Pioneer head unit and haven't figured out how to talk to Siri other than "Hey Siri". I miss having the button to hold down. I don't mind "Hey Siri", but it would be nice not to have to do that too since there always seems to be a lag from the time you say it until she's actually listening.

Digital123
BANNED
I am a filthy spammer.

2019-09-27, 05:17

yes yes this one is great.
Digital123
BANNED
I am a filthy spammer.

2019-09-27, 05:17

nit and haven't figured out how to talk to Siri other than "Hey Siri". I miss having the button to hold down. I don't mind "Hey Siri", but it would be nice not to have to [Link deleted ~KS] do that too since there always seems to[/url]

Go away spammer! ~KS

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-09-27 at 10:02.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-09-29, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I use CarPlay with a Pioneer head unit and haven't figured out how to talk to Siri other than "Hey Siri". I miss having the button to hold down. I don't mind "Hey Siri", but it would be nice not to have to do that too since there always seems to be a lag from the time you say it until she's actually listening.
Press and hold the "home" button icon on the headunit's display. It will activate Siri. At least it has in the 2 cars I've had with CarPlay built in.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-09-29, 21:19

No more "home" button in iso 13 CarPlay. Just a grid of icons to switch the view.
chucker

2019-09-30, 03:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
No more "home" button in iso 13 CarPlay. Just a grid of icons to switch the view.
https://www.macstories.net/stories/c...-leap-forward/

Quote:
Long pressing the Dashboard/icon view button invokes Siri as was possible with the Home button in previous versions of CarPlay.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2019-09-30, 04:59

iOS - I used to love my minimalist dock of two app icons: phone and messages, side by side.

Now... well you can try it yourself. Spacing?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-09-30, 06:57

I don't know if it's the iPhone 11 Pro, or something with iOS 13, but since I got my new phone last Friday I have about a 50% success rate of getting CarPlay to register with my GMC factory unit. I constantly have to plug and unplug and have even had it freeze up the whole head unit to the point where I had to stop my truck, park, and shut it down so the whole system resets. I've been using CarPlay in this same truck for over 2 years and while it has had it's moments, it has never been anywhere close to this bad. It's almost unusable at times. When it does work, I love it, but it's getting to the point where its unusable.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
chucker

2019-09-30, 07:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
iOS - I used to love my minimalist dock of two app icons: phone and messages, side by side.

Now... well you can try it yourself. Spacing?
Works fine here (unless you're saying the spacing is too large?).
chucker

2019-09-30, 07:45

Quote:
I don't know if it's the iPhone 11 Pro, or something with iOS 13, [..] it has never been anywhere close to this bad. It's almost unusable at times. When it does work, I love it, but it's getting to the point where its unusable.
…it's probably iOS 13.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-09-30, 12:48

Quote:
I don't know if it's the iPhone 11 Pro, or something with iOS 13, but since I got my new phone last Friday I have about a 50% success rate of getting CarPlay to register with my GMC factory unit. I constantly have to plug and unplug and have even had it freeze up the whole head unit to the point where I had to stop my truck, park, and shut it down so the whole system resets. I've been using CarPlay in this same truck for over 2 years and while it has had it's moments, it has never been anywhere close to this bad. It's almost unusable at times. When it does work, I love it, but it's getting to the point where its unusable.
I had an issue earlier today where CarPlay didn't register but that wasn't all that unusual for me since it seemed like an isolated incident. I'll see if happens again. With iOS 12, I had this happen periodically - maybe once a month or so. Never had to restart my headunit/car to get it working again, though.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2019-09-30, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Works fine here (unless you're saying the spacing is too large?).
Too large and gappy. I preferred the previous grouping.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-09-30, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I had an issue earlier today where CarPlay didn't register but that wasn't all that unusual for me since it seemed like an isolated incident. I'll see if happens again. With iOS 12, I had this happen periodically - maybe once a month or so. Never had to restart my headunit/car to get it working again, though.
I cleared out my CarPlay profile in my truck head unit as well as on my phone. Never had an issue with it but I grabbed a new cable too since I have a few extra laying around. Going to try this out and see if it improves at all.

Also we’ll see if the 13.1.2 update helps at all.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2019-10-01, 07:38

My Siri button works again, but sadly, a Siri still hijacks the entire screen when invoked which is a bit of a bind when you’re using navigation. Also, phone calls. I was lead to believe they fixed this in iOS13 but apparently it was only for CarPlay, not regular Bluetooth connections.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-10-01, 07:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
What chucker said. Long press on the grid icon. It still works to activate Siri. I have to do it when my kids want to activate Siri in my car.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-10-01, 09:42

Maybe I should have thought to hold on the grid but it isn't that intuitive. Especially since that button now switches views and the graphics for the button changes depending on the view.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-10-01, 16:26

Whatever I did managed to make the situation much, much better. My thought was it was from clearing out all the profiles on the factory unit and starting fresh. I think iOS 13 might have thrown it out of whack. Knock on wood, so far so good.