AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Jell-o iBook

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Jell-o iBook
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-01-31, 21:22

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Mac-iBook-...cmdZVi ewItem

Poor guy. His friends pulled a prank on him by putting his iBook in four layers of Ziploc bags and immersing it in Jell-o. Unfortunately, they forgot to SEAL the bags.
Trumpetman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

Send a message via AIM to Trumpetman  
2006-01-31, 21:26

Small claims court should be his friend.

Nick
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-01-31, 21:32

The guy seems to be all righteous/religious, to the point of letting these guys walk all over him. I can understand that he wants to still be friends with them, but he should probably try to get their parents to pay up if they can't.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-01-31, 21:44

I agree - he should hit up the parents.

It's entirely possible that the guys are such dicks that they left the bags unsealed on purpose, so they could claim the whole thing was accidental.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2006-01-31, 21:50

You can keep them as freinds.....they'd just be dead friends that's all.....
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-01-31, 21:52

Honestly, how do you forget to seal 3 different zip lock bags? To me? Most likely event is that preachy roommate who's rubbing his Mac in his roommates faces gets what they think he has coming.

Pretend ignorance about all the ziplock bags, and voila! Instant funny.

He comes off as clueless enough to perhaps have trouble being able to tell whether or not people actually like him, but I might be taking forum psychology one step too far.

^Argento, how's the side mirror and moonroof on your car? Got the money yet? I know your roommate isn't dead yet.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-01-31, 23:42

Quoted for when the eBay page vanishes:
Quote:
Yes, my iBook was put in Jell-O.
Don't believe me? Read on...

You probably clicked on this auction just because the thought of an iBook in Jello is absurd. Well, I tell you it is true. Make sure you have the time to read this auction listing, because the story is well worth it. Plus, there are some pictures at the bottom. I sold some CDs from my iBook, and I got so many responses to my story, that they wanted me to sell the actual thing, so read on…

Okay, flash back to July 2005. I have just graduated from high school, and I use the very large sum of money to buy an iBook for college. See, I wanted to be a trendy iBook user, carrying around my svelte little computer while the Windows users balked at the looks of it.

I take my little computer to college, in its neat custom red case, with keyboard protector and screen wipes in tow. She and I have great times together, taking notes, listening to iTunes, editing video, and surfing the web. I loved my iBook’s sleek look, with the rounded polycarbonate corners, bright screen, and slick slot-loading DVD/CD-RW drive. I like to think that she liked me too, her G4 processor (1.2ghz) always hummed away, busily preparing documents for me, or just letting me know that I was loved.

Well, at college in August, I meet two of my best friends. We watch this show, called “The Office” on NBC. It is wildly hilarious. You should watch it, really. And it is clean too, which I always appreciate. Well, in this one scene in “The Office” two characters play a prank on a co-worker by immersing his stapler in Jell-O. We, being testosterone-driven boys in college, think that this sort of thing is the funniest thing in the world.

Flash forward two weeks to October. I just return from Nashville from a journalism conference. I get back on my birthday, and, being jet-lagged, I go to bed. I awake in the morning in my dorm room, and open my eyes. From a side-ways slant, I see a blue thing on my desk. I put my glasses on, and I grow more curious. I approach the blue blob, and I see my iBook, immersed in Jell-O. At this point I nearly have a heart attack, before seeing the ZipLoc bags that surrounded it. Phew, I think, well, I guess this is a funny prank. Read on…

We all laugh about it, and it goes around my campus of 800 students. Funny prank! Well, we decide to take off the Jell-O. We take it out of the blob, and then out of the first Zip-Loc bag. There is Jell-O. We take it out of the second Zip-Loc bag. There is more Jell-O. We take it out of the third. There is Jell-O. And the final Zip-Loc bag. And Jell-O. (Note: Zip-Loc is a fine company…my friends were just too dumb to use their product right.). So, the once-beautiful white case is covered in Jell-O. The ports, USB, Firewire, even the Ethernet jack…filled with Jell-O. We open the screen, and there is Jell-O all over, in the keyboard, in the speakers, even the white Apple logo on the outside is a slight shade of Blueberry Jell-O.

You may think at this point I would commit murder. Not yet. My (very nervous) friends and I travel to the Mac Store in Salem (a reputable company—very friendly customer service!). I explain my dilemma, and they laugh. And laugh. And laugh some more, but they help me through the grieving process. They whisk my blue-stained iBook away, and return it the next day at the cost of $45 for the diagnostic. The result: “The Unit is a total loss. There are no salvageable parts.” $45 to tell me my iBook is worthless. They did help me pull the Airport card…more on that later.

I only got to enjoy my iBook for a few months.

Well. I didn’t kill my friends. Truthfully, friendship is more important than an iBook. I keep a Christ-like attitude (I can tell you about Him, too), and tell myself over, and over, and over that friends are more important than material things. But honestly, that is hard! I mean, wouldn’t you rather have an iBook than friends? Yeah, I know!

So, they are paying me back. Very, very slowly. One has paid me $20. The other, $50. And I am stuck using a 500mhz Pentium III running the most stable of all operating systems: Window Me. No, not 95, not 98, not XP…the crappiest of them all: Me.

Last week, I sold the OS X cds that came with it, and people told me I should sell the actual unit. It is semi-cleaned off, but there are specks of Blueberry Jell-O! See the pictures. I also included some of Josh and Nolan, the two guys who ruined the laptop. I will also include the actual service report (in a frame, no less!). Here is what you will get:

-1 Jell-Oed iBook (1.2ghz, 12.1”, 256 ram, 60gb HDD)
-1 Framed Service Report saying “Unit is a total loss. There are no salvageable parts.” (My credit card info will be blacked out)
-1 Airport Extreme card pulled from unit. May or may not work.
-Set of G4 iBook restore CDs.
-iBook power adapters
-A copy of this auction for your records.
-One Box of BlueBerry Jell-O, signed by me.

And to prove it is the actual Jell-Oed iBook, the serial number does match the service report.

I am selling this because it is funny, but I am also a poor college student using a crappy laptop from 6 years ago…and truthfully, I need to buy books. Please, send me lots of comments using the “ask seller” tool, so I can post your questions, and then show it to my friends as a reminder of what they did.

A message to Steve Jobs: I am honestly the biggest Mac fan ever. I enjoyed my time with my iBook more than I ever did with a Windows Machine.

Jell-O: I love Jell-O and Bill Cosby. I don't hold anything against you.

Zip-Loc: New Slogan? "ZipLoc: Good for food. Not for laptops."

The pictures starting in the top left, and going right, then down: A) My iBook cleaned from the Jell-O (The brown stains are old molded JellO) B) Another of the iBook with gross Jell-O. C) Specks of BlueBerry jello remain. D) Service report from The Mac Store E) My windows ME machine F) Nolan and Josh, the two guys who Jello-ed the iBook. G) The service report larger F) The working power adapter

Please do not attempt to eat any of the old Jell-O off the iBook. Some of it is brown and moldy and gross.

Remember, there is absolutely NO guarantee or warranty made on the parts of the actual iBook. I make no claims for the iBook working. You are bidding/buying at your OWN RISK. Honestly, though, you are buying an iBook that was immersed in JELLO! You must be crazy! It does not boot! The power adapter does work. Buyer pays for shipping. I will not screw you over on shipping like some eBay sellers (they must be Windows users paying to fix their poor quality machines)…you will pay the actual cost.

Thank you, and happy bidding!
And of course, he shows his religious side in the Q&A:
Quote:
Q: Lol ~ Just wanted to pass on my condolences as well as my gratitude in regards to your lap-top story ~ very entertaining! Unfortunately at your expense~ heh. Anyhow, If I wasn't about to head off to college and had some money to throw around, I'd bid just to help you out dude. (and way to mention Jesus too, bro!) Glad to see you got some bids anyhow! I wish you well~ In Christ, JM

A: Man, thanks for the comment! Don't worry about the money, but it is awesome that you would. Have an awesome time in college!

Q: Send your story to Steve Jobs and Jello. Great human interest story!

A: Good idea. Maybe Jobs will replace my iBook with a new MacBook.

Q: Dead flies make a perfumers oil stink, so a little foolishness is weightier than wisdom and honor. Ecc 10.1 Read the rest of the chapter and prayfully consider your choice of friends.

A: Colossians 3:13 Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

Q: I think $20 and $50 from your friends just does not cut it. Have them pay the full cost to replace the iBook with a new iBook right away and consider themselves lucky that you did not file criminal charges. If they do not have the money, make them get it from their parents, or get a loan, or tell them you will press criminal charges. Your friends make a very stupid mistake, do not stand in the way of them learning their lesson!

A: Well, they are paying me back, but slowly. Don't worry, I can be assertive.

Q: What is that brownish, blackish stuff all around the edge of the computer? I can clearly see the blue jellow, but what is the other stuff?

A: It is Jell-O as well. For some reason, the Jell-O on the outside of the case became a deep blue/brown and became really really sticky. The inside stayed a blue shade for unknown reasons...perhaps because the iBook was kept closed and reduced the air circulation? I don't really know...it is Jell-O, you can test its DNA, or email the fine folks at Jell-O. I do not reccomend taste-testing! Thanks for the question.

Q: I have to wonder about the baggie failure. I'm thinking the dummies used generics, yes?

A: Most likely. A reputable company like ZipLoc would probably have a low failure rate. Perhaps they thought they could save a few cents when buying the bags. That mistake cost them more than a few cents. Thanks for the question!

Q: David, Your friends should be proud. As should you. Michael Seno

A: Why should they be proud? Hopefully not because they did what they did. Should I be proud because I am still their friends? I think so. But, it sounds like a compliment, so thank you!
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-02-01, 00:06

That guy's a moron. His attempts at being funny are so lame they hurt. And the preachy thing is also very annoying. He comes off as somebody who is either naive beyond compare, or is simply retarded (in the actual sense, not as an insult).

Besides, people need to stop using eBay as their blogs ...
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2006-02-01, 00:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes

^Argento, how's the side mirror and moonroof on your car? Got the money yet? I know your roommate isn't dead yet.
I knew you'd bring that up, slut.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-02-01, 00:36

I could see the Ziplock bags opening up if they didn't take all of the air out of them. Plus, there would be the weight of the Jello on it. The laptop probably would have been ruined anyway due to condensation since the liquid Jello needs to be hot before cooled down.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-02-01, 06:38

Understatement of the day on the eBay page:

"Condition: Used"

not borked, or hosed, or dead, or f**cked... just 'used'.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-02-01, 07:12

I personally would sue the Apple Center for charging US$45 for 'looking' at it.

Wa*k&^s!
Back2Mac

2006-02-01, 08:00

I'd absolutely kill them. If someone did that to my crappy Gateway I'd at least break their legs, and I hate my Gateway.
At the bottom, someone had a great idea that he should send the story to Jobs and the fine people at Jell-O, (Bill Cosby?) It would make a cute story and get the company some good press if they throw in a new laptop/some Jell-O.
When I was in college we ate Ramen noodles, and I had a PB 140. Any jerk who put that in my notebook would be with Jimmy Hoffa.

Last edited by Back2Mac : 2006-02-01 at 08:11.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-02-01, 08:34

I wouldn't kill them. I would bloody want them to pay for a new laptop.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-01, 09:23

I smell a rat. Just all seems a bit much...

Then again, I don't believe anything or anyone at anytime, so...

AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2006-02-01, 10:00

That guy has some bad luck... purchase a new ibook (1.2ghz) in July 2005... only to have it immediately eclipsed by a 1.33ghz model (~26 July 2005), then some crazy people encase it in jello.

Doesnt sugar have some property that kills bacteria (i.e. stawberry jam doesn't go moldy).

Sounds to me like someone wants a new MacBook and doesn't know how to pay for it...

Additionally, I second the use of violence against people who dont respect automation equipment
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-01, 10:34

Just a stupid question, but it occured to me that if the iBook was off and battery removed when it was sunk in jello, would it be still possilbe to salvage it by cleaning off everything off the parts within, since there wasn't any short circuits?
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-02-01, 11:30

I agree with pscates2.0. The guy dropped his iBook off a cliff, noticed it was a goner, put it in jello and made up this story. He's not as stupid as he comes across: his English is relatively readable.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-02-01, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
Just a stupid question, but it occured to me that if the iBook was off and battery removed when it was sunk in jello, would it be still possilbe to salvage it by cleaning off everything off the parts within, since there wasn't any short circuits?
In theory if you washed it completely and then dried it completely... Yes.

We once recovered a batch of RML 380Z computers which were dumped in the sea off of the Exmouth coast. They had been there for some time. Because they had been under water (even in salt water) and as soon as we exposed them to air we washed them with clean water, and then dried them they worked fine.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-02-01, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
Besides, people need to stop using eBay as their blogs ...
Ghoti's in the HOOOOOOUSE!!! That is very funny (and true).

ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-02-01, 20:22

Heh, thanks. But seriously, there was also this "auction" of those guys whose PowerBook had been stolen (removed in the meantime). Basically a long description of what happened, plus some stuff about how the thieves had contacted them after they found the auction. Funny yes, but come on ...