User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Odd Picture Behavior

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Odd Picture Behavior
Yochanan

2006-06-28, 16:42

Over at Wikipedia under their entry on Fiber Optic (it redirects to Optical Fiber) they include this picture:

When you click on it to get more info it leads you to this page.

You can click on the image there for the original size.

I dragged the image from the Safari window onto a folder on my desktop I named "Images on My Desktop". When I opened the folder to see the image I saw something a little different than what I thought I dragged in. It still had the picture of the man's hand holding the bundle of fiber optic cables, but now it was pointing in the opposite direction and in addition I see the man's face illuminated by the bundle. I control click on the image to get info on it and it shows me the same thing again. I close the info window, and double click on the image so it opens in Preview… but no man's face in it. It is presented once again in the same fashion I saw it on Wikipedia, un-reversed and just the hand. WTF? I open it in Photoshop CS2 just to see if it'll be accurate with the presentation of the image. Same as Preview.

All of the pictures in all of the places I've viewed them report that the image is 1579x1335. Safari says it, the Finder says it, the Get Info window says it, the Preview info window says it, and Photoshop CS2 says it. That can't be possible when the image contains extra stuff to view. Can it?

What the hell is going on with this thing? How does the Finder window and the Get Info window show something different than Safari, Preview, and Photoshop CS2?

See it for yourself:

Does this work on your Mac? I'm on my iMac 2Ghz G5 20" 1.5GB Mac OS X 10.4.7
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-06-28, 16:52

What is the name of the file? Is it "light-simple.jpg"? If so, you just dragged the link below the image by accident, instead of the image itself. That still doesn't explain how the image size is reported wrong, but how is that possible when PS shows you the whole file? Are you sure that this is the case?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-06-28, 16:54

JPEGs can save a small "preview" thumbnail in the EXIF data to speed up browsing. These images appear to simply have had the wrong preview embedded. In the Finder, it checks for this preview image first before trying to generate one on the fly. That's why you're seeing it there.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Yochanan

2006-06-28, 17:03

I thought that the thumbnail was an original creation in the Finder, something that the system makes after considering your full size file. If the image on Wikipedia contained it's own preview thumbnail and they just got it wrong after editing, this is first time I've ever seen that happen. New things everyday.
Yochanan

2006-06-28, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
What is the name of the file? Is it "light-simple.jpg"? If so, you just dragged the link below the image by accident, instead of the image itself. That still doesn't explain how the image size is reported wrong, but how is that possible when PS shows you the whole file? Are you sure that this is the case?

What in the world is "light-simple.jpg"? What is the name of what file? The file on my hard drive, or the file on the wiki page? I gave the URL for the image I dragged to my desktop it's in the link that says "original size". Am I sure that what's the case?

I think Brad's explanation makes the most sense, even though it just seems odd. This isn't the first oddity I've had with Finder or Preview, but it's the first I've had with a dragged and dropped Safari image looking different in it's thumbnail than it's source.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-06-28, 17:15

The name of the file you saved. On this page, there is a link under the heading "Summary" that points to the original, which has the name I mentioned and which includes the head.
Yochanan

2006-06-28, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
The name of the file you saved. On this page, there is a link under the heading "Summary" that points to the original, which has the name I mentioned and which includes the head.
Ohhh… that's what you were referring to. No, I didn't take that one, I hadn't even seen it in fact. I usually just click on the big picture to get the referred to files. I didn't even know about that link under "Summary" trick. That's a keeper. I'll be sure to remember to do that next time I'm looking for stuff on wiki images.

I couldn't understand what you were talking about in your first post fish. Now it's clear.

Thank you.