User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

Javascript Jitters: Snow script not working right!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Javascript Jitters: Snow script not working right!
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-12-08, 12:50

OK, so I saw a snow script I liked, and installed it. See the script working here:

http://mason.greatwolflodge.com
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex3/snow.htm

As you can see it works just fine on those two sites.

I installed it on my index page and previewed it on my computer in a browser. Worked just fine.

Uploaded it to my site.... And it doesn't work!

Since I have absolute links on most of my front page scripts, the forums interfaces, and a few other dynamic remotely-hosted image links work perfectly fine on preview on my computer. The only thing that doesn't work is my two image randomizers because they just have straight links (images/whatever.jpg), so they didn't display. That's the only difference in the page between local copy preview and live on the web. I even tried disabling those to see if somehow it was flubbing it up, and it still didn't work.

Any ideas? This has me stumped. Site it's on is http://www.extremepki.com with the index page currently the only one with the script installed.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2006-12-08, 14:26

All the lines of the snow script are concatenated to one single line. I guess it's some windows/mac line-ending-incompatibility.
What you want to do is convert the file to windows format. How exactly this is accomplished in OS X I'm not sure of... Maybe "Save As..." in Textedit and choose "Western (Windows Latin 1)"...?

Converted 07/2005.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-12-08, 14:34

The code for the snow script is directly in the index page, it's not on an external file that I can convert.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-12-08, 15:50

If you used that code, I would immediately stop browsing your website. That thing pegs the CPU at full throttle on both my Mac and my Linux box. Any website that pegs me with bad Flash or bad JavaScript almost always gets blacklisted.

FWIW.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-12-08, 15:54

Ouch. I didn't realize that would have such an effect on CPU.

Since I've been unable to fix it, and it's doing that nasty stuff, snow script do bye bye!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-12-08, 17:24

Yeah, I keep MenuMeters running with the CPU usage graph on all my Macs as a quick load indicator. If I see something spike, that alerts me to potential problems and to an upcoming rise in temperature and fan noise.

I highly recommend the same to all users, especially for "advanced" users or anyone doing code development.

(I also always keep the network "graph and throughput" one visible for eyeing unexpected traffic spikes.)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.