Your Sitcom Escape

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Your Sitcom Escape
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-08-15, 00:03

Gaziza!
I've been mainlining the 4th season NewsRadio DVD set, a show that several of us here love, and started wondering what television sitcom worlds other people would love to escape to be in for awhile... so....... hit it.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-08-15, 00:13

Venture Brothers.

Best. Toys. Evah.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-08-15, 00:17

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.... oh wait... I think I already live out that show.

Nevermind.

um....

New Yankee Workshop.... I wish I was half as cool and handy as Norm.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-08-15, 00:30

Reno 911. That would make my day.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-08-15, 00:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia....
The best show on tv right now if you ask me....but thats just me
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-08-15, 00:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
Gaziza!
I've been mainlining the 4th season NewsRadio DVD set, a show that several of us here love, and started wondering what television sitcom worlds other people would love to escape to be in for awhile... so....... hit it.
I'm so jealous. That was the best show ever.
shatteringglass

2006-08-15, 00:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey
The best show on tv right now if you ask me....but thats just me
I agree. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is the funniest show I've seen in years.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-08-15, 00:56

I wouldn't call Venture Brothers a sitcom, but it gets my vote anyway.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-08-15, 06:15

Clarification: I think when I started this thread last night I meant to ask "what sitcom world would you want to spend some time in?" and not simply what shows do you like... maybe why you'd want to spend time there too~

Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-15, 08:15

"Three's Company", of course. Hands down. Think about it...

You get to run around pretending to be gay so the Ropers or Barney Fife won't evict you (all the while, safely ogling your roomies at your leisure). You get to arrange three dates at once and use the various apartments to stage them (go, Jack, go!). And, most importantly, there's always the chance that Janet and Current Blonde Roommate will stumble home from the Regal Beagle, a bit tipsy and feeling frisky and curious...and invite you to join them on the couch. Where the "kisses are hers and hers and his"...literally!

And Kaitlin Olsen from "It's Always Sunny..." is so sexy on that show. The perfect blend of pretty, goofy, sexy and twisted. I dig her the most.

InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-08-15, 09:35

Taxi.

Just because it would be awesome to hear the theme song everytime I drove over a bridge.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-08-15, 10:10

Well NewsRadio IS my favorite American Sit-Com....it's krazappie! It would still be on the air if the dooznufusses at NBC would have put it with Seinfeld on Thursday night. We would be celebrating the end of 10 years of the goings on of WNYX!

My favorite sit-com would be Fawlty Towers with The Office coming in a distant second, the American version is very strong but this year will see if it can distinquish it from it's Britih cousin.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-15, 10:32

I always enjoyed Fawlty Towers. It used to come on here locally on PBS on Saturday evenings, years ago. Haven't seen it in a long time, unfortunately. I was always sure John Cleese's head was going to explode in any given episode. He made me laugh so hard on that show, how he veered from screaming nutball to his staff, then would turn around and attempt to be so proper and upright with a guest, all smiles and flattery.

Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-08-15, 10:36

Fawlty Towers is not a sit-com I would want to live in! The chaos and angst... and (aside from a place in Eastborne) is the worst-run hotel in the country!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-08-15, 11:01

But it does have a view of the sea.
Over there.
Between the land and the sky.

I enjoy NewsRadio because I could watch Beth's ass all day long, Maura Tierney was just adorable and who wouldn't want to help Sir Bill of McNeal to buy a massage chair? The show was too hip for its own good... it didn't give a flying fig about the actual plotline, it was all stitched together just to see what would happen to the characters when you put them in different situations. Listening to the commentaries has been fun... finally found out where they got 'Gaziza' from... and other things~

Captain Drew on Twitter
Wrao
Yarp

2006-08-15, 12:08

Quote:
Clarification: I think when I started this thread last night I meant to ask "what sitcom world would you want to spend some time in?" and not simply what shows do you like... maybe why you'd want to spend time there too~
Well, my answer is unchanged.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-08-15, 12:16

Quote:
Yeah, Venture Brothers, hands down.

And I'm sorry Wrao, but in what respect is it *NOT* a sit(uational) com(edy)?? They set up a situation (double-dating with supervillains) and comedy ensues.

Brock is my copilot.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-08-15, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Yeah, Venture Brothers, hands down.

And I'm sorry Wrao, but in what respect is it *NOT* a sit(uational) com(edy)?? They set up a situation (double-dating with supervillains) and comedy ensues.

Brock is my copilot.
The situations in Venture Bros. very often take a back seat to the characters and the comedy, did you catch the episode last sunday with the 12 foot alien man yelling IGNORE ME!. There was a situation in that episode, but... none of the characters really cared, noticed or even understood, in the end, it was resolved but... whatever. That formula is fairly common for Venture Bros, but it's alright because between the lines, you get some real character development. I'd say it's far more of a character study/comedy than a situational comedy. Of course, it's still situational in the strictest sense, but if you were to draw a pie chart of the aspects in venture bros. I'd put situational aspects of it at around 10%, comedy makes up 30% and 69% is Brock Samson. (the remainder is for the rest).
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-08-15, 12:27

Quote:
But it does have a view of the sea.
Over there.
Between the land and the sky.

"Well, might I ask what you expected to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The hanging gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically... "

but when she mentions she wants a rate reduction because of her lacking view Basil counters with:

"Why? Because Krakatoa's not erupting at the moment....."

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-08-15, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
The situations in Venture Bros. very often take a back seat to the characters and the comedy, did you catch the episode last sunday with the 12 foot alien man yelling IGNORE ME!. There was a situation in that episode, but... none of the characters really cared, noticed or even understood, in the end, it was resolved but... whatever. That formula is fairly common for Venture Bros, but it's alright because between the lines, you get some real character development. I'd say it's far more of a character study/comedy than a situational comedy.
But what's one of the hallmarks of sitcoms? "At the end of the episode, everything is back to the way it was."

They killed off main characters for god's sake, and *STILL* managed to slingshot it back around to what passes for normalcy! It's *brilliant*!

Quote:
Of course, it's still situational in the strictest sense, but if you were to draw a pie chart of the aspects in venture bros. I'd put situational aspects of it at around 10%, comedy makes up 30% and 69% is Brock Samson. (the remainder is for the rest).
Okay, you're at 109% already...
Wrao
Yarp

2006-08-15, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
But what's one of the hallmarks of sitcoms? "At the end of the episode, everything is back to the way it was."

They killed off main characters for god's sake, and *STILL* managed to slingshot it back around to what passes for normalcy! It's *brilliant*!
It is situational in the strictest sense, of course, everything basically is. But it's far more avant garde and I really wouldn't say it's the focus of the show or the comedy.

Quote:
Okay, you're at 109% already...
Yes... Brock Samson makes up for 69%. Got a problem?
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2006-08-15, 13:03

While News Radio is one of my all time favorites.

Trailer Park Boys IS the funniest show ever!

Canadian show, check it out. You will not regret it.

"lets go, smokes!"

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-08-16, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
My favorite sit-com would be Fawlty Towers...
If Fawlty Towers isn't the funniest thing in the entire world, I don't really know what is. I love that show, it's a shame that more won't be made.

"Manuel, Manuel...please try to understand before one of us dies!"

Come waste your time with me
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2006-08-16, 14:05

Seinfeld.

I would love to do nothing. Oh wait, I think I'm already doing that.
Partial
Stallion

2006-08-16, 14:28

Scrubs, AD!!!
¡Damned!

2006-08-16, 15:19

Buffy.

Without question.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-08-16, 15:21

I have to say that it *would* be fun to hang out with Kramer for a day... wonder if Michael Richards is as much fun?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-16, 15:33

I heard on some radio show (Roe Conn?) that Michael Richards was recently doing some performance thing at the Improv in L.A., got heckled by some a-hole and completely wigged-out, launching into a huge F-bomb tirade, left the stage, insulted the crowd, etc.

This was a month or so ago. I tried to go online and find out more about it at the time, but couldn't. Haven't thought to look again...

But yes...as Kramer, he'd be a blast. We'd go look at vintage clothes, hit a few golf balls, relax in his hot tub and wait for the Macanaw peaches to come back around. Come up with silly money-making ideas (involving Newman), date all sorts of women, mooch from Jerry's fridge, etc. It would be a hoot to hang with Kramer!

I just thought it was telling that, on their own, they don't seem to have what it takes to "be funny". I suppose Jerry, being a comedian, is always going to have that covered. But I'm talking about the other three: how many failed sitcoms between Jason Alexander, Julia Louis-Dreyfuss and Michael Richards have there been? 3-5, I'd bet. I think Julia is enjoying mild success with her current one, but George and Kramer can't seem to make a go of things...

It was only when they were all four together, acting like complete amoral shitheads and self-centered jerks and talking about "nothing", that they struck true comedy gold.

The ensemble was mightier than any one member, it seems...
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2006-08-16, 15:36

It's hard to get out of a role that you have been playing for a long time. The audience identifies you as that one character and cannot get that out their minds.

It always seems to happen. There are exceptions though (e.g. Ted Danson, etc).

Deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-08-16, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates
The ensemble was mightier than any one member, it seems...
And the EDITOR was GOD.